Consultancy – Somaliland Translator, Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Job category: Translator/Interpretor
- Post date:11 Oct 2021
- Share job:
- Organization: IDLO – International Development Law Organization
- Location: Hargeysa (Somalia)
- Grade: Single Engagement Agreement – Consultancy
- Occupational Groups:
- Translations and Languages
- Closing Date: 2021-10-15
The IDLO, in collaboration with other consortium members, is promoting a reformed and modernized Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) system through the establishment and operationalization of a new ADR Centre in Somaliland under the Program ‘Strengthening the social contracts through access to justice” funded by the Government of the Netherlands (Also known as Damal Programme). The program aims to foster the social Contract in Somaliland by increasing the legitimacy of justice institutions.
The overall goal of the program is expected to be achieved through three (3) intermediate outcomes: (1) improved access to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) mechanism and referral pathways, especially for vulnerable groups; (2) enhanced access to formal justice for vulnerable groups through holistic support to gender-based violence (GBV) survivors and affected communities; and (3) increased participation of citizens in Somaliland in accountability processes relating to the provision of security and justice. The specific mandate of each Centre is to facilitate the practice of ADR and settle claims and disputes at the community level, facilitating and increasing access to justice for the local population, particularly vulnerable categories.
IDLO seeks a short-term legal Translator to provide English/Somali translation services to IDLO Hargeisa, Somaliland Office on the Standard Operating procedure and Code of Conduct for ADR Centers.
Period of Consultancy:
The consultant will be based in Hargeisa and is expected to work for 20 days.
The Specific objective of the Translator:
- Translate the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Code of Conduct (COC) for ADR centers.
- Understanding Somaliland’s legal, political, social, and economic context.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Justice and Legal Issues in Eastern regions of Somaliland.
- Demonstrate excellent command of spoken and written English and Somali.
Scope of financial Proposal and Schedule of Payments
- The Translator will be offered a lump sum fee
- The payments will be made in installments based upon outputs/deliverables specified in the TOR (underpayment schedule) and upon certification of satisfactory work as per the work plan endorsed by Damal.
- 30% on signing the contract and submission of a work plan.
- 70% on completion and submission of deliverable two.
- A short work plan was submitted within three days from signing the Contract.
- Translated Standard Operating Procedures and Code of Conduct for ADR Centers
- Weekly updates from the Translator on the translated document to be submitted to the PM every Monday morning. Updates will entail the progress made each week and will be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word format. A sample template will be provided.
Ideal Candidate profile
Education and work experience
- Proven experience in translating training materials, reports, and manuals.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in legal document translation
- During the selection period, candidates will be requested to provided samples of translated legal documents from relevant assignments
- Fluent oral and writing in English and Somali.
Specific Technical Skills and competencies:
- Excellent knowledge of the Somali traditional justice system and ability to interact with government officials, justice stakeholders, elders, scholars, and sharia leaders.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and flexibility.
|Assessment criteria||Weighting (%)|
|Knowledge and understanding of Somaliland legal frameworks.||50|
|Experience in translating legal documents for international organizations. (Samples of translated legal documents)||50|
Terms and Conditions
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1178 total views, 3 today