Consultant – Livelihoods
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:6 Aug 2019
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
Position Title: Consultant – Livelihoods
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Unit: Recovery Durable Solutions (RDS)
Duration of Contract: 3 months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: August 18, 2019
Call for application No. : IOMSO/044/2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Since the formation of the Federal Government of Somalia, the country has made significant progress towards restoring peace and security. However, significant destabilizing factors remain, including conflict and natural disaster. With more than 2 million displaced in Somalia, and a significant number of returnees from the region and beyond, Somalia has struggled to cope with high numbers of displaced.
Increasingly, opportunities arise to support durable solutions to displacement. IOM has been instrumental in its support of communities to drive, and government to increasingly lead on building progress towards durable solutions to displacement. With strong emphasis on localised capacities and community priorities, increasing partnerships are building momentum towards durable solutions.
Meaningful and sustainable livelihoods is a key component that contributes towards the achievement of durable solutions. IOM’s Recovery and Durable Solutions (RDS) unit is therefore seeking to build its livelihoods engagement, particularly in a context of protracted displacement and rapid urbanization. IOM currently has a livelihoods component under a DFID-funded durable solutions consortium that it seeks to develop and implement in close coordination and alignment with the Benadir Regional Administration’s Durable Solutions Unit and other durable solutions initiatives. At the same time, IOM equally seeks to increase RDS capacities in livelihoods programming and develop further livelihoods initiatives.
Under the direct supervision of the RDS Program Manager, and under the overall supervision of the RDS Coordinator, the RDS Livelihoods Consultant will be responsible to ensure the timely and effective design and implementation of the livelihoods component of the DFID funded durable solutions programme as well as support other potential RDS livelihoods engagements. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Map, establish a relationship and consult with relevant initiatives in BRA that may offer potential avenues for partnerships to support livelihoods for displacement affected communities (DACs), including with the private sector.
Design and initiate livelihood initiatives for displacement affected communities in line with the DFID-funded programme proposal and budget and in close collaboration and coordination with the project manager/officer, BRA DSU and other relevant initiatives.
Support the Consortium Management Unit as the IOM Livelihood’s focal point in contributing to the Economic Development strategy for the programme.
Ensure weekly coordination with the BRA DSU livelihoods and private sector engagement focal point to identify livelihood opportunities for potential IOM engagement.
Support the project manager/officer to implement the livelihoods component of the DFID-funded consortium programme, including through regular technical oversight, coordination with relevant partners and stakeholders, troubleshooting and regular monitoring of activities.
Provide inputs to M&E tools and processes that are developed by the RDS/Consortium M&E team to ensure the capture of livelihoods indicators and data on progress. Adapt the livelihoods approach/initiatives to reflect best practices and lessons learned along the way to ensure maximum impact and results and to minimize doing no harm.
Support the Monitoring and Reporting officer with regular updates, inputs to reports, human interest stories, project briefs, etc.
Visit project sites and monitor livelihoods activities.
RDS livelihoods initiatives:
Document and share with RDS team best practices and lessons learned regarding livelihood initiatives that support recovery and durable solutions.
Attend training in Participatory Market System Development (PMSD) and disseminate the learnt skills to BRA, partners and displacement affected communities.
Work with BRA, partners and displacement affected communities to facilitate participatory market research, informed selection of value chains/market systems, market mapping and analysis, intervention planning, empowering marginalized actors and engaging key stakeholders.
Provide capacity building to the RDS team on livelihoods interventions, through trainings, guidance, and/or the development of relevant tools and systems Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Support fundraising through identification of needs, gaps and opportunities related to livelihoods in recovery, stabilization and durable solutions programming in Somalia, provision of technical inputs in proposal, and identification of funding opportunities.
Represent RDS in relevant livelihoods forums, meetings, etc.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, International Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with at least seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working in the field of livelihoods within programs that support durable solutions, peacebuilding, and community resilience;
• Demonstrable multi-stakeholder coordination experience;
• Experience in operational activities in a complex crisis or post-crisis setting;
• Experience in livelihoods project design, implementation, and management;
• Experience liaising with the private sector, Government, and specialized international agencies (UN agencies, international organizations and international specialized NGOs);
• Experience working in the country or region is an advantage.
Fluency in English and knowledge of Somali is advantageous
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
• Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
• Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
• Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
• Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
• Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Displays mastery of subject matter;
• Contributes to a collegial team environment;
• Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA);
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
• Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
• Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
• Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives
Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this call for applications is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for Application Number, Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 05.08.2019 to 18.08.2019
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
4599 total views, 3 today