Crop and Livestock (Agri) Market System Specialist – Dollo Ado, Somali Region of Ethiopia
- Job category: Sales/Marketing/Communication
- Post date:13 Jan 2021
- Job expires in: 5 days
- Share job:
Crop and Livestock (Agri) Market System Specialist
Mercy Corps Ethiopia
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Crop and Livestock (Agri) Market System Specialist
Location: Dollo Ado
Number of Positions: one
Mercy Corps is a consortium member for a program, Innovative Approaches to Building Resilience for Vulnerable Populations in Ethiopia, funded by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and led by the World Food Programme (WFP) in Somali Region. The program comprises four components; within this consortium, Mercy Corps’ role is in the third and fourth components which involve strengthening market systems in Somali Region for refugees and host communities in Dollo Ado.
Mercy Corps seeks a Crop and Livestock Market System Specialist for the SIDA-WFP Program. This position will be based in Dollo Ado, Ethiopia. The Specialist will report directly to the MARLI Project Manager and work to support Market Resilience and Livelihood improvement (MARLI) in Dollo Ado refugees and host community, including livelihood development, market system development, livestock and crop production marketing.
Essential Job Functions:
Strategy and Vision
· Develop and strengthen understanding of current livestock management, animal health, animal feeding, and livestock marketing
· Develop understanding of relevant market systems and sectors including livestock (Goat and sheep) production and trade, animal health inputs and services to all relevant actors (public and private) participating in those market systems.
· Facilitate inclusive market systems, with emphasis on the inclusion of women and youth, using participatory approaches, coaching, relationship-building, communications, entrepreneurism, and innovative business development;
· Analyze production and trade of live animal feed and fodder and current rangeland management practices, as these relate to the livestock industry, agricultural production opportunities and challenges, social and legal environment and practices as it relates to livestock market development as well as all relevant actors (public and private) participating directly or indirectly in livestock marketing.
· Work with Agri-processing companies expand operations and build trade linkages with smallholders and Producer Cooperatives
· Work with ‘Union of Agriculture Production Cooperatives’’ expands and improves its services for member cooperatives
· Work with farmers to Improved access to inputs and strengthened supply of improved seeds
· Facilitate multi-stakeholder sector forum, to identify challenges and solutions, and cultivate interest
· Implementation of Market Resilience and Livelihood improvement for Refugees and Host Communities of Dollo Ado and Bokolmayo Woredas with respect Livestock and crop production market system
· Develop partnerships with lead-firm partners (e.g. ‘Association of Livestock Traders’ and Livestock Bureau, ‘Union of Agriculture Production Cooperatives).
· Collect lessons learned from existing livestock sector market improvement initiatives, livestock and crop production marker sectors competitiveness ,and crop production marketing ; and use these to innovate in ways that strengthen and leverage current practice;
· Actively engage in the identification, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and reporting of program activities with a view to livestock and crop production market system development;
· Liaise with all programs, stakeholders and actors in the livestock and crop production market systems
· Contribute to the monitoring of key monitoring and measuring indicators, milestones and plans in close collaboration with supervisor and M&E team, and lead the effort in reporting all output, outcome and impact indicators for the livestock and crop production market system developments
· Support in ensuring the program captures and responds to up-to-date information on livestock and crop production marketing within respective market systems district, regional and global best practices.
Knowledge and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in one of the following subjects: , Crop Science, Animal Science, Rural Development and agricultural extension and, Agricultural Economics;
· Five years of experience in livestock and crop production marketing in pastoral and agro-pastoral systems of Ethiopia;
· Deep understanding and mastery of Markets4Poor approach and Economic & Markets Development facilitation including coaching, relationship building, communicating, entrepreneurialism/business understanding and innovating.
· Experience in working with livestock and crop production industry (public and private) actors and institutional stakeholders;
· Demonstrated program implementation and training capabilities;
· Knowledge of participatory analyses, action and results processes;
· Experience in the region is required; previous experience in arid and semi-arid parts of Ethiopia is preferred;
· Fluent in English and Somali languages
· Business minded, entrepreneurial, adaptive, curious, great problem solving skills, unafraid to ask questions, and results motivated.
· Excellent communication, facilitation and networking skills with a wide range of private, partner and NGO-sector actors
· Computer literate especially in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 22 January, 2021/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address: email@example.com
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application. Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dawa: P.O. Box 974
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
369 total views, 1 today