Deputy Chief of Party – Programs and Teacher Training – Mogadishu, Somalia
Title: Deputy Chief of Party – Programs and Teacher Training
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
|TITLE: Deputy Chief of Party – Programs and Teacher Training|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Operations||LOCATION: Mogadishu|
|GRADE: TBD||CONTRACT LENGTH:2 years – renewable|
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: (select only one)
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
USAID funded Bar Ama Baro (BAB) project accelerated education programme started in October 2019. This programme is focusing on increasing equitable access to quality education for out of school children aged between 8-15 years through increase student enrollment in accelerated education program (AEP) sites and will also enhance the capacities of education authorities to manage and lead the education sector af Federal and State level in the target regions.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will be integral part of the BAB core leadership team from Creative Associates and Save the Children who are dedicated to ensuring successful delivery of BAB in all project locations. The DCOP will serve as the technical focal person for the BAB Project’s programs and teachers training and is expected to work closely with the the Chief of Party, DCOP for policy, curriculum and government liaison, and with the Reading/Education in Conflict or Crisis Advisor (RECCA) among others
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Chief of Party – Creattive Associates (Technically)
Deputy Country Director (Operationally) – Save the Children
Staff reporting to this post:
Direct:Programme Manager – BAB, Training Specialist, Finance and Awards Manager
Indirect:Security officer, Logistics Coordinator
Budget Responsibilities:$1,500,000 per year
Role Dimensions: The rolehodler will closely work with creative team and SCIArea Reps, Head of Education, Education Technical Sepcialist, Finance Director and HR Director
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
· The DCOP reports directly to the COP and will take a leadership role in ensuring technical implementationand ensures that the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements.
· The DCOP will be responsible for the technical oversight of teacher preparation/training and policy, in collaboration with the DCOP-Policy, Curriculum and Government Liaison (PCGL), as well as other BAB team members, as appropriate, and is specifically responsible for teacher training implementation that relates to National, Regional states and community level service delivery.
· She/he will contribute to policy and curriculum development dialogue as related to teachers’ professional development and career paths in the non-formal education sector.
· S/he will be responsible for providing technical leadership to the programme, documentation and dissemination of innovation and good practices and establishing, maintaining and expanding partner relations for the sector.
· The DCOP will coordinate with other technical leads of key stakeholders, other USG implementing partners, and FGS, particularly at the Regional state level.
Program Planning, implementationand reporting
· The DCOP will liaise and work closely with the Creative DCOP-PCGL for quality in terms of planning, implementation, monitoring, review meetings, and reporting.
· The DCOP will be responsible for leading and overseeing the development and delivery of a high quality, innovative, cost effective and sustainable teacher training programme resulting in immediate and lasting change for children and build the capacity of the duty bearers.
· The DCOP will be providing technical and program oversight in the design and day-to-day management of implementation to increase teachers’ skills in reading, math and social emotional learning.
· The DCOP, in addition to programmatic deliverables and reporting requiements (e.g. quarterly report, work plan), will also ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the project team and partners, support the design of service delivery strategies, based on sound and up to date evidences.
· The DCOP will be responsible for compiling and ensuring the completeness, quality and timeliness of both narrative progressreporting and financial and submitting it to the CO and SC’s the Education Technical Specialists according to the reporting schedules.
· The DCOP will be based in Mogadishu but with frequent (approx. 50% travel) to the regional states in FGS.
· The DCOP will be accountable and ensure that the teacher training specialist is able to deliver the following in coordination with the ministry of education, culture and higher education;
· Assessment of the teacher skill gaps for the targeted AEP centers
· Development of teacher training packages
· Implementation of in-service teacher trainings
· Implementation of procedures and systems for teacher supervision, coaching and monitoring
· Establishment of support systems for AEP teachers
· Development of pathways to teacher certification
|BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· willing to take disciplined risks.
· honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
· Master’s Degree in education or related field in social science is a requirement.
|EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Minimum of seven years’ experience with progressively increasing responsibility in managing and implementing complex Education and capacity building programming in fragile states with projects of similar size and scope
· At least five years of proven experience in managing and supervising a technical team and in project design.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors, consortium members and other stakeholders, at national and sub-national levels.
· Demonstrated hands-on experience in building Ministry of Education and devolved structures capacity in developing and realizing education strategic plans to provide quality Education services
· Demonstrated experience of supervising and mentoring technical staff
· Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the dynamics in Somalia Education system
· Familiarity with USAID or other USG administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
· Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
· Strong management skills, leadership qualities, professional reputation, ability to create synergies where applicable, interpersonal skills, and written and oral presentation skills to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the project description.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (professional level proficiency) and Somali language is mandatory
|Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
|Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
|Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through thebelow URLs:-
Closing Date will be 2nd Aug 2020
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1381 total views, 1 today