Deputy Medical Coordinator – Jigjiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
- Job category: Health/WASH
- Post date:13 Jan 2022
- Job expires in: 2 days
- Share job:
Deputy Medical Coordinator
Location: Jigjiga, overseeing projects in Fafan & Nogob Zones, Somali
Career Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
The most recent multi-sectoral project in Somali Region was implemented from 01.07.2019 to 30.06.2021 mainly in Gerbo District, Nogob Zone, and it created the foundation for the follow-up project in Gerbo. Working together with the local partner, OWDA, MdM provides health/medical, nutrition and WASH support to meet the humanitarian needs identified in the health centers, health posts and surrounding communities.
In late 2020, MdM conducted additional assessments in Qoloji IDP camp and Tuliguled Woreda in Fafan Zone. To this extent, MdM-G supports Health Centre at Qoloji IDP camp and Gabogabo Health Centre in Tuliguled Woreda
This project is being directly implemented by MDM Germany along with OWDA (specifically for Gerbo Woreda in Nogob Zone)
The Deputy Medical Coordinator is responsible for providing technical guidance in quality assurance/performance improvement methodologies and techniques in order to improve the performance of the health program.
Under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator, you oversee the development, implementation, follow-up and supervision of medical and health-related activities of the MdM Germany mission with punctual support and to guarantee coherence of medical programming.
More specifically, you will:
- Contribute to the overall planning, strategic direction and development of the health program
- Support in all medical development program aspects including reporting and proposals
- Ensure the effective monitoring and evaluation of health activities in line with MdMG and donors’ guidelines and with national authorities’ requirements
- Provide technical guidance in performance improvement/quality assurance of the program
- By delegation, represent MdMG in coordination, TWG, cluster and partner meetings
- leads in the development and maintenance of an infection prevention control program and workplace Covid19 prevention initiative in order to ensure the highest quality of care and safety of patients and staff.
- Support the development and implementation of the general strategy of MdM activities with the coordination team
- Support in developing relevant implementation frameworks and tools
- Provide medical team with necessary and relevant guidelines to conduct their job in a qualitative manner
- Ensure that the targets and objectives of the project are set correctly and achieved
- In collaboration with MdM coordinators, monitor closely the implementation of medical activities by partners, in line with MdM standards
- Develop and implement facility-wide infection prevention and control measures to protect patients, staff and visitors designed to reduce or eliminate outbreaks in the facility, strengthen infection prevention and control activities across supported health facilities. Ensures availability of supplies required for infection control and advise on their proper use, mentors and train staff on implementation of infection control practices
- Ensure availability of updated national guidelines relevant to health activities at all health facilities
- Ensure health care standards and protocols are met, national health policies and strategies are respected at health facilities and ensure optimal use and functionality of donated medical equipment.
- Support in conducting health needs assessments and mapping of health service actors upon request
- Provide regular support supervision, on-job training and mentorship for health care workers, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback and reporting
- Ensure availability and adherence of updated national guidelines relevant to health activities at all health facilities, health care standards and protocols are met, national health policies and strategies are respected at health facilities
- Regularly carry out capacity needs assessments for staff and health workers, identify service gaps and training needs and provide solutions including regular/on-job training and follow up.
- Responsible for managing, designing, developing, coordinating and conducting training programs.
- Recommend training materials and methods, maintain all in-house training
- Identify internal and external trainers, establish and maintain relationships with external trainers and delegating training tasks to the new trainers
- Responsible for developing training aids for participants such as manuals and handbooks
- Actively participate and deliver training programs using recognized training techniques and tools
- Regularly update training database for all trainings conducted
- Design and apply assessment and feedback tools to measure training effectiveness including pre and post-tests, course evaluation
- Track and report on training outcomes including providing feedback to program participants and management
- Line manages the medical team and technically the field-based medical teams
- Conduct briefings, evaluations and debriefings of the medical teams
- Identify potential gaps and promote capacity building of the medical team
- Support implementing partners in the design of efficient medical teams and in the identification of training and capacity building needs
- Participate in the recruitment of the medical staff
Coordination with partners
- Participate in relevant health forums, health cluster and partner meetings
- Ensure project coordination and lobbying with other health partners (MoH, UN, INGOs)
- Build collaboration and partnership with other stakeholders
Management of pharmacy stocks
- In collaboration with the pharmacy/warehouse manager, maintain an updated standard essential drug list for each project
- Based on MdM pharmacy management procedures, plan and prepare medical requests for the supplies of essential drugs and medical consumables to health facilities
- Ensure timely and adequate drug stocks and essential medical supplies at all supported health facilities
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Analyze and monitor medical and health-related data received from the field and provide feedback and technical support to the medical team, provide feedback to partners, health authorities and staff at supported health facilities
- Contribute in writing of situational, donor reports and project proposals
- Collaborate with program coordinators in updating internal MdM database
- Participate in developing/revising monitoring tools and techniques
- Regularly conduct support supervision to health facilities and document findings and initiate corrective measures
Contract duration: 12 months with possible extension
Location: Jigjiga, overseeing projects in Fafan & Nogob Zones, Somali Region
- Medical Doctor, MSc in Public Health is an added advantage
- Hands on experience in SRH, Maternal and Child Health preferred and related fields such as Nutrition and WASH
- At least 7+ years’ clinical or health program experience working with NGO or MoH
- Good writing and speaking knowledge in English language is essential
- Strong organizational skills in emergency situations and autonomous in daily operations
- Excellent reporting skills
- Good communication skills
- Fully fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Showing flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability;
- Capacity to work and to live in a remote and isolated area
- Experience/knowledge of the Somali region is a plus
How to Apply
To apply, please submit: a two-page curriculum vitae; three work-related references; a one-page cover letter explaining how your skills and experience match the job requirements stated above; copy of certificate/License (if applicable).
If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF. Also, write the job title and your name in the subject line. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com Deadline for submission: 23nd January 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
We are unable to accept phone calls.
Starting date: 1st Feb 2022
Place of office: Jigjiga
We’ll pay attention only to the complete files in English.
Our processes of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
Please note that if you have not heard from MdM within 2 weeks, you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
536 total views, 2 today