Director of Programs
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:10 Sep 2019
- Share job:
Director of Programs
General Position Summary
The Director of Programs (DoP) is responsible for overseeing all ANPPCAN-SOM programs, projects and activities. DoP will oversee and ensure the successful delivery of the whole of the proposed change, co-ordination of the programs and projects and the management of their inter-dependencies. The DoP is responsible for the overall integrity and coherence of the programs and projects. The DoP will develop and maintain the program environment to support each individual project within it – often through an effective program management team. The DoPwill be tasked with developing programs and projects to support the organization’s strategic direction, as well as creating and managing long term goals. The DoPwill also be in charge of developing budgets and operating plans for programs and writing program funding proposals. In order to be successful in this role, the DoP will need to have prior experience in both program management, fund management and team management. The DoP works closely with the Executive Director (CD), and with the leadership of the field offices and program managers to ensure inter-program learning and overall quality. The DoP leads ANPPCAN-SOM effort to develop and implement new and existing programs that add value to development efforts, achieve the greatest possible impact, and hold the agency accountable to donors, government, and communities. The role is crucial for creating and maintaining focus, enthusiasm and momentum. A good understanding of how to apply the “Managing Successful Programs (MSP) method is a key attribute.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Vision, Leadership and Strategy:
- Leading the programs and projects teams in identifying programs and projects strategies and plans;
- Working with Senior Management Team (SMT) for strategic and operational planning for the corporate including the development of periodic operational plans;
- Ensuringsynergies and linkages between field offices on programs and projects that are country-wide;
- Participating in regional planning and ensuring cross learning and replicating best practices as part of a regional networking;
- Contributing to overall country program management and decision making through the Senior Management Team-SMT; and
- Contributing to the management and realization of the organization’s long-term goals.
- Planning and designing the programs and projects and proactively monitoring their progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate corrective actions;
- Defining the program’s and projects’ governance arrangements;
- Ensuring effective quality assurance and the overall integrity of the programs and projects- focusing inwardly on the internal consistency of the programs and projects, and outwardly on their coherence with overall planning, interfaces with other programs and the organization technical standards;
- Organizing programs, projects and activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization;
- Ensuring the delivery of services from programs and projects are to the appropriate level of quality, on time and within budget, in accordance with the programs and projects plans and their governance arrangements;
- Managing both the inter-dependencies and the interfaces between programs and projects;
- Ensuring the implementation of program management minimum standards in all projects.
- Overseeing the start-up and closeout of the grants in view of the expanding portfolio; and
- Overseeing sub-grants, consultants and firms to who various assignments are outsourced.
Technical Support and Supervision:
- Providing technical oversight to the programs and projects delivery and providing overall supervision to the day-to-day implementation’
- Working directly with the program and project managers to regularly review and provide feedback on the technical aspects of programs, projects and activities;
- Identifying areas for improvement, recommend and organize trainings for project staff;
- Implementing and managing changes and interventions to ensure programs and projects goals are achieved;
- Responsible for ensuring that the programs are implemented in ways responsive to the communities, in line with donor values and ANPPCAN-SOM strategic plan;
- Ensuring and safeguarding ANPPCAN-SOM compliance procedures including gender minimum standards, child safe-guarding policy, and all ANPPCAN-SOM principles and policies;
- Directly supervisingall programs and projects, providing overall direction to implementation plans, ensuring programs and projects are effectively coordinated with internal and external stakeholders, and
- Creating opportunities for strategic discussion from the field teams to management and vice versa on implementation issues;
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Accountability:
- Ensuring that the M&E systems of individual programs and projects are of high quality, providing regular impact and process data and that all programs and projects have baselines and evaluationsagainst baseline values and targets with the MEAL Specialist and Executive Director;
- Responsible for ensuring all new programs and projects are developed and designed to the highest possible standards with rigorous M&E plans integrated from the outset;
- Overseeing evaluations and researches conducted by the programs and projects;
- Monitoring and promoting all aspects of programming in a way that increases overall impact and quality of ANPPCAN-SOM at the community, national and international levels;
- Producing accurate and timely reporting of programs, projects and activities throughout their life cycle and reporting the progress of the programs, projects and activities at regular intervals to the ED, Donors, Government, Partners, and Stakeholders;
- Developing an evaluation method to assess programs and projects strengths and to identify areas for improvement;
- Organizing monthly, quarterly and annual progress review meetings and provide guidance and advice on program and management related issues;
- Ensuring timely submission of quality reports to donors and providing technical reviews/feedback;
- Maintaining proper accountability with all stakeholders and ensuring beneficiary participation in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our ANPPCANSOM programs and projects as equal partners; and
- Ensuring the preservation of local laws and customs in a more professional and responsible manner.
- Identifying new program opportunities and guide formation of assessment and proposal development teams;
- Leading and overseeing the development of proposals and submission to institutional and private donors;
- Identifying opportunities for incorporating innovative approaches to the existing and new programming;
- Provide supervision and mentoring to the program and project managers to ensure that the program and project teams identify new opportunities and develop quality proposals in response;
- Writing program funding proposals to guarantee uninterrupted delivery of services;
- Developing new programs and projects to support the strategic direction of the organization;
- Ensuring there is allocation of common resources and skills within the program’s individual projects;
- Managing third party contributions to the programs and projects;
- Meeting with stakeholders to make communication easy and transparent regarding program and project issues and decisions on services; and
- Managing and analyzing programs and projects risks to the programs’ and projects’ successful outcomes;
Commitment to Staff Performance and Development:
- Facilitating the appointment of individuals to programs’ and projects’ teams;
- Having the ability to manage a team with a diverse array of talents and responsibilities;
- Leading recruitment of, and manage and motivate an informed, skilled and efficient national (and expatriate) team; and incorporate staff development strategies and performance management systems into team building process;
- Ensuring that program and project staff has Individual Operating Plans (IOPs) and are given regular performance feedback;
- Completingquarterly and annual performance review and planning with all direct reports;
- Mentoring and contributing to an atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development for programstaff in accordance with ANPPCAN-SOM’ commitment to excellence and achievement; encourage a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation; and
- Being a lead player in the implementation of ANPPCAN-SOM values and culture.
The role requires effective co-ordination of the programs, projects and management of their inter-dependencies including oversight of any risks and issues arising. It also includes the co-ordination of the new capability for the organization to enable effective change and realization of projected benefits. The individual appointed as DoP must have the necessary seniority to be able to take on the responsibilities associated with the role. The successful DoP will apply a strong combination of team leadership, program developmentand relationship building abilities along with a sense of curiosity, urgency, and joy for the work. Asthis position requires ongoing new program development to complement existing programs, thesuccessful DoPwill have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovativeprograms within the current and future structure of ANPPCAN-SOM operations;
Required Skills and Competencies. The DoP should have:
- Effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good knowledge of techniques for planning, implementing, monitoring, reviewing and controlling programs, projects and activities;
- Sound organization development skills;
- Good knowledge of program and project management methods including MSP and PRINCE2 tools:
- Good knowledge of budgeting and resource allocation procedures;
- Sufficient seniority and credibility to advise program and project managers on their projects in relation to the effective delivery of their programs and projects;
- Have the ability to find ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- Ability to deal and maintain relationship with government officials and to function effectively in a sensitive political environment is essential traits.
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Must be a team player and be able to work proactively;
- Must be adaptable and flexible;
- Should be able to work under stress;
- Time management is critical to success in this position;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully initiate and maintain positive working relationships with colleagues, donors, and other stakeholders;
- The individual must be flexible, attentive to detail, and able to meet deadlines, and will have effective verbal and written communications skills; and
- Must have effective multi-tasking, prioritization, and organizational skills.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Master’s degree in development studies, project management, public health, or related field;
- 5-9 years’ experience administering donor grants for a variety of sectorial areas for both relief and development initiatives; experience overseeing large portfolios of child protection and development programs /or public health and nutrition programs will be a plus;
- 5-9 years’ demonstrated ability to build staff capacity in cross-cultural setting as well as excellent team-building and interpersonal skills;
- Experience with donor requirements of USAID, UN, DFID, EC, SHF, UN-OCHA, UNICEF, UNOPS and private donors and foundations;
- Track record of working effectively and respectfully with government officials, INGO and NGO partners;
- Experience of developing concept notes and project proposals for institutional donors as well as private donors is required;
- Experience of donor reporting and grant management is required;
- Experience and ability to write high quality technical documents/reports is required;
- Previous experience working in Somaliland and Somalia as well as the knowledge of the region is an asset;
- Experience working in an insecure environment and knowledge of security management planning;
- Experience working in a senior leadership position is preferable;
- Proven experience in program management;
- Proven stakeholder management skills;
- Proven experience managing a team; and
- Experience using computers for a variety of tasks.
The DoP is based in Hargeisa. This position requires approximately 15%-20% of time of travel by road to project sites and field offices that present stable, moderate and high levels of operational risks. ANPPCAN-SOM team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and ANPPCAN-SOM’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues. Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of ANPPCAN-SOM’ vision. ANPPCAN-SOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Interested applicants should send their full CV and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org the reference “Director of Programs” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed on rolling basis. Suitable candidates will be invited to interview.
Closing date: 17th September, 2019. Planned start date: ASAP and ideally no later than 2019.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1930 total views, 5 today