Eastern Cluster Program Coordinator
- Job category: Coordinator
- Post date:23 Nov 2019
- Share job:
Eastern Cluster Program Coordinator
Category: Business Development, Development and Project Management, Management
Location: Jijiga, Somali
Career Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
Employment Type: Full time
The position is contingent on new funding approval
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help people to overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions. During our 34-year history, our work has improved more than 170 million lives in more than 115 countries around the world. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Eastern Cluster Program Coordinator
Duty Station: Jijiga
Open Position: 1
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Ethiopia since 2004, and acts on behalf of people who have become disenfranchised and poor. We stand with Ethiopia to find and access opportunities, and to be part of lasting and meaningful transformation in the country. Mercy Corps seeks to be influential with government and development actors towards a more resilient country where poverty is tackled through the eyes of those who understand it best. This translates into ensuring that the population is financially stable, healthy & nourished, educated & unformed, and that natural resources are accessible, shared and utilized sustainably.
Mercy Corps anticipates to implement a five year, USAID funded Pastoral Areas Resilience Activity (PARA) focused on: stimulating increased production, productivity and marketing through more competitive livestock and livestock products markets; increasing communities’ resilience; improving alternative livelihood options through essential skills transfer; improving food security and nutrition, and contributing to the wider knowledge on pastoral development. The program will operate in Afar, Somali and Oromia regions.
General Position Summary
Under the direction and management support from the Chief of Party /Program Director the Cluster Programs Manager is responsible for the overall planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects implemented in their designated Cluster Area. S/he ensures all project initiatives are implemented to achieve maximum impact as per program and project objectives, while remaining on schedule and budget. The CPM directly manages the Area Managers/Heads of Offices, as well as Technical Team Leader(s) within their designated Cluster Area. S/he works closely with the Deputy Country Director, Regional Finance Coordinator, and Regional Operations Manager to ensure office operations are running effectively and are compliant with all internal and external regulations, and the Country M&E Manager ensuring all monitoring and evaluation activities are coordinated and feeding into the Mercy Corps Mission Metrics framework. Her/his close working relationships with all technical units ensures program activities are carried out according to the highest standards, and remain responsive and appropriate to the local context.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Program Coordination, Achievement and Harmonization
2. Financial Management and Compliance
3. Staff Management
4. Representation and Communication
5. Program Design, Monitoring and Evaluation
6. Policy advice and strategic guidance.
DESCRIPTIVE JOB FUNCTIONS:
● Provide overall operational oversight, management support and technical leadership to the program portfolio within the cluster area
● Create an environment of excellence, accountability and collaboration with the teams and office(s) you are responsible for and collaborate with
● Ensure all program activities are the highest standard possible
● Lead effective coordination, collaboration and integration among all technical, program and support units within your designated cluster area;
● Drive impact-oriented, results-driven and context-specific planning, execution, and reporting
● Facilitate and support innovation and application of best practices in all program activities, ensuring review, reflection and incorporation of feedback are a component of all area programming
● Develop/Implement processes, tools and methodologies to ensure effective and efficient project implementation and operations
● Ensure effective and timely monitoring, documenting and reporting on all program and support activities as per the policies and practices of Mercy Corps, each donor, and the government
● Provide direct line management support to staff under direct supervision
● Develop own deep understanding and mastery of technical area under program portfolio – including market systems, natural resource management, WASH and landscape approaches to development. This should include coaching, relationship building, entrepreneurialism/business understanding and innovating
● Ensure compliant and effective financial, procurement, administration and logistics management at all levels of the Cluster Team
● Provide constructive feedback to staff (subordinate, lateral and senior) both through informal and formal processes
● Identify and recommend critical training needs of cluster team, ensuring gaps get adequately addressed
● Recommend HR actions in accordance with Mercy Corps Ethiopia Personnel Policy and Procedures Manual and the Ethiopian Labor Law
● Serve as primary point-person for all external relations ensuring strong relationships with all regional stakeholders – program and non-program related
● Provide timely updates to supervisor, key program, operations, technical as well as administrative point persons on progress and issues, identifying risks and proposing solutions for action and early resolution
● Analyze and provide updates on the political, social and economic trends in the Cluster Area
REPRESENTATION AND COORDINATION
● Liaise with local government officials, local NGOs and civil society organizations, local religious leaders and other notables to ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps’ programs.
● Maintain close working relationships with donors, other humanitarian and development organizations, and local partners, including representing Mercy Corps at local coordination meetings as assigned.
● Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
● Build effective relationships with program teams implementing financial inclusion programming, based on mutual trust, collaboration, urgency and curiosity
● Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
● Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally
● Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
● Support hiring and orientation of team members with a focus on MSD
Play a program leadership role for financial inclusion or energy-specific programming.
● Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
● Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security.
Knowledge and Experience
● BA/BSc in relevant field, or equivalent experience
● Excellent communicator in English with demonstrated excellent report writing and speaking skills, knowledge of local languages greatly advantageous
● Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and relationship management skills
● Five years’ experience managing teams, strategic planning and implementing programs
● Proven experience developing effective and diverse teams in dynamic contexts
● Strong organizational and managerial skills
● Experience or working in the cluster area with strong contextual knowledge of culturas. Working along border regions a plus
● Experience effectively initiating and maintaining productive relationships with private, public, civil-society and research sector partners
A successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles and cultures, follow procedures and meet deadlines with flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving. S/he will have a proven ability to learn quickly, multi-task, prioritize, take initiative, and be accountable for results, understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details, problem solving, work within a complex and sensitive setting and to follow laws and security protocols. The most successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 30 November 2019/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address: email@example.com
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1108 total views, 1 today