Education Technical Translator – Consultant – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Education
- Post date:13 Sep 2020
- Job expires in: 1 day
- Share job:
Somalia Bar ama Baro, BAB “Teach or Learn” Program
Position Title: Education Technical Translator – Consultant
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia and remote areas.
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The USAID/Somalia Bar ama Baro, (BAB) “Teach or Learn” Program works to increase access to quality education for a targeted number of out-of-school children and youth (ages ~8-15 years) in specific regions of Somalia. The program will work to increase student enrolment in accelerated education program (AEP) sites, improve their safety, monitor acquisition of literacy, numeracy, and socio-emotional learning (SEL) skills among the learners who enrol in them, and enhance the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) Ministry of Education, Culture, and Higher Education’s (MoECHE’s) capacity to regulate them.
The Education Technical Translator will provide support in translating written education related documents from Somali/Arabic into English, and English into Somali/Arabic, as required. Translations of audio material may be required on occasion. The Education Technical Translator will be expected to submit deliverables in a timely manner, meeting deadlines agreed with program staff. The Education Technical Translator will be expected to be available for discussion and clarification of translations. This is a Short-Term Technical Assistance (STTA) position, providing support to the BAB Program on a needs’ basis.
- With in-depth knowledge of the English language, perform translation of written text from Somali into English (and vice versa) in various documents.
- Translate a variety of material, particularly education related materials, from Somali into English with attention to fact and nuance, so that the intent and tone of the original meaning is preserved. Examples of such materials include but are not limited to the following: Curriculum Framework, Syllabi, Student Textbooks, Teacher Guides, Supplementary Reading Materials, Policy Documents.
- As and when required, translate written English text into standard Somali.
- Ensure that translated materials follow a high standard of order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Edit, standardize, correct, proofread, revise and finalize translated material prepared by BAB Program staff.
- Prepare project reports and documentation as required.
- Research education technical terminology pertinent to the assigned deliverables.
- Transcribe and translate audio from Somali/Arabic to English written form e.g. radio programmes, webinars, events, subtitles for videos.
- Other translation tasks, as and when required.
- Curriculum Framework (Somali/Arabic to English)
- Syllabi (Somali/Arabic to English)
- Student Textbooks (Somali/Arabic to English)
- Teacher Guides (Somali/Arabic to English)
- Supplementary Reading Materials (Somali/Arabic to English)
- Policy Documents (Somali/Arabic to English, English to Somali/Arabic)
- Social Media Messaging (Somali/Arabic to English, English to Somali/Arabic)
- Audio recordings (Somali/Arabic to English)
- Transcriptions and subtitles of audio (Somali/Arabic to English)
- Other deliverables as agreed with project staff.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent would be favourable.
- Significant experience in translating education texts from Somali/English and English/Somali. translations is essential. Similar experience for Arabic/English would be favourable.
- Excellent background in education technical translation and technical writing. This must include an understanding of and familiarity with learning outcomes.
- Excellent working proficiency, including written and oral communication skills, in English and Somali. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in multicultural teams and to work in an autonomous manner.
- Good computer skills, including MS Word, MS Excel, Adobe PDFs, PowerPoint.
The translator will be obliged to maintain confidentiality regarding all information obtained in the course of his/her work during this engagement and thereafter.
How to apply:
Application Instructions: Send electronic submissions of updated resume & cover letter to Recruitment@crea-bab.com before 5 PM on Monday September 21, 2020.
Creative Associates International Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1720 total views, 49 today