Environmental Governance Technical Expert – Jowhar Hirshabelle State of Somalia
- Job category: Agriculture/Environment/Farming
- Post date:4 Aug 2020
- Share job:
|CALL FOR JOB APPLICATION|
|Institution||Ministry of Environment and Rural Development MOERD|
|Assignment Title:||Environmental Governance Technical Expert|
|Type of Appointment:||Individual Contract|
|Duty Station:||Jowhar Hirshabelle State of Somalia|
|Duration:||One year with possibility of extension based on performance|
|Expected Start Date:||ASAP|
The Ministry of Environment and Rural Development MOERD is a Government Ministry in the recently formed in Hirshabelle State of the South-central region of Somalia acting under the authority for providing leadership to manage the environment and natural resources in order to ensure national commitment for resilience and sustainable development for the benefit of the present and future generations .The Ministry of Environment and Rural Development MOERD and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will be critical in strengthening the national capacities for improved decision making and mainstreaming of
|global environmental obligations by integrating||the||Rio Conventions, namely,||Conventions||on|
|Biodiversity, Climate Change and Dessertification,||into||targeted||national development||framework s||with|
|the support of Cross-Cutting Capacity Development||CCCD Projet||for global environmental governanace.|
Strengthening national capacities for improved decision making and mainstreaming of global environmental obligations ”. The Ministry of Environment & Rural Development is fully committed to meet its obligations towards developing the capacities of the institution for an effective national environmental management framework.This Cross-Cutting Capacity Development CCCD Projet for global environmental governanace directly addresses three main categories of articles under the three Rio Conventions, UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (Articles 4 and 5); UN Convention on Biological Diversity (Articles 12, 14, 17 and 26) and UN Convention to Combat Desertification (Articles 9, 10 and 16). The project will be implemented through three strategically linked components, eac h of which contains a set of outputs with their respective activities.
The national consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Director General S/he will work closely with ministry of planining and UNDP Cross -Cutting Capacity Development CCCD Project.The purpose of this assingment the experts will play an integral role in providing technical support focused and ensuring the implementation of the three Rio conventions mainly biodiversity, climate change and desertification.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the technical will be deliver the following results:
Convention of Climate Change
- Responsible for the project activities that require expertise
– Interpreting UNFCCC obligations into national programmable activities.
- Prepare the appropriate technical background studies,
– Serve as a facilitator in the trainings on the using data and information relevant to meeting climate change mitigation and mitigation
- Particular emphasis on endangered endemic species and their ecosystems.
Coordinate activities with those under implementation by the development partners
in UNFCCC programming and project implementation
Conventions on Biodiversity,
– interpreting and translating CBD obligations into national programmable activities.
- Prepare the appropriate technical background studies.
- Serve as a facilitator in the trainings on using data and information relevant to meeting biodiversity conservation objectives, with emphasis on endangered endemic species and their ecosystems.
- Undertake a number of key project analyses, as well as support the other project deliverables such as the public awareness and communication campaign.
- Assessment of training needs, and the secondary school curricula.
- Carry out a number of the public awareness and advocacy
Convention of Dessertification
- Responsible for interpreting and translating CCD obligations into national programmable activities.
- Prepare the appropriate technical background studies, as well as also serve as a facilitator in the trainings on using valuation tools to meet land degradation objectives
- Emphasis on sustainable land management and land degradation.
- Leadership and Entrepreneurship
– Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, organize and implement activities
- Strong ability to coordinate and work as a team, including in complex environments
- Demonstrated experience in participatory processes and facilitating dialogue between government, private
- Sector, international development partners and civil society
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work in complex, multi-stakeholder project environments
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum level master’s degree in environmental sciences/policy/management or related field.
At least 5-year of experience in providing technical advice or consultancy services in the field of environmental protection;
Proven experience in at least the last two years include active involvement in UNFCCC programming and project implementation relasted to climate change.
Excellent understanding of monitoring and reporting obligations under UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, UN Framework Convention on Biodiversity and UN Framework Convention Convection to Combat Desertification
Working experience with international development partner the UN or other international organizations Working experience with governmental institutions and non-governmental organizations in the field of environmental protection
Knowledge of Both (Fluency) English and Somali (working knowledge) are required.
How to apply
Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV with a cover letter explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience. To apply please send your application / CV with three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com not later than 19th August 2020
Subject line must be: (Environmental Governance Technical Expert) otherwise your application may not consider. Academic certificates are not needed to be submitted at this time. These will be requested if called for interview.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2177 total views, 1 today