Finance Specialist Int – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Accountant/Finance/Budget Affairs
- Post date:17 Nov 2020
- Share job:
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Under the overall guidance of Deputy Chief Electoral Advisor, direct supervision of Project Manager, IESG the Finance Specialist (IUNV) is responsible for the financial management of the ‘Joint Programme for Support to Universal Suffrage Elections in the Federal Republic of Somalia’ in line with UNDP rules and regulations. The Finance Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the IESG. The Finance Specialist will further advice and support the national counterparts with the financial management aspects in line with the Letter of Agreements with UNDP. S/he will work closely with the relevant National Independent Electoral Commission ( NIEC) and other national counterparts to support the following:
1. Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on the following:
- Financial analysis and oversight for all resources under the project;
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations; • Maintaining internal controls over all financial processes; ensuring an efficient financial flow process;
- Tracking and reporting to management of key financial performance indicators.
2. Ensure implementation of operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results.
- Establish or fine tune financial procedures: e.g. receipts, payments, disbursements and bookkeeping, filing procedures for the project;
- Ensure that financial procedures in place comply with the financial/accounting and procurement requirements of UNDP;
- Continuously analyze and monitor the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for the project;
- Oversee the transparency of the financial processes and the use of funds and compliance with UNDP financial guidelines;
- Ensure timely preparation of quarterly financial reports;
- Routinely monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigate anomalies or unusual transactions. Inform supervisors of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained..
3. Manage the Project budget and organize an optimal cost-recovery system, focusing on the following:
Manage all financial resources through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Prepare and monitor projects’ budgets in Atlas;
- Develop proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management;
- Ensure that payment information is properly recorded into the Atlas system on a timely basis.
4. Ensure proper Project cash management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for the projects to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements;
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast.
5. Capacity development of national counterparts.
- Advise and assist with proper financial management and reporting in accordance to the letter of Agreement between UNDP and the counterpart;
- Advice and train staff members of the counterparts on financial management and implementation;
- Review submitted financial documents from national counterparts and provide feedback before processing payments.
Master degree or equivalent
Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Finance/Accounting, Economics, Finance, Public Administration. Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- At least 2 years’ experience in an accounting-specific role within a large international organization preferably in the UN system is required.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building of national institutions in budget and financial management with programme/projects with national institutions funded by donors.
- Demonstrated financial experience using an ERP financial system.
- Demonstrated experience in providing financial and budget support to programs/projects;
- Demonstrated experience at developing detailed financial reports for senior management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of IPSAS/IFRS.
- Good team player and ability to work effectively with people from different backgrounds
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Somali(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Finance, accounting and audit, Development programme/project administration
- Experience in programme or project financial management in a development context, particularly fragile context;
- Good Knowledge of the political and institutional context of Somalia;
- Experience of working in an international organisation and/or multicultural environment;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Accountability, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 26 November 2020
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1716 total views, 1 today