Fisheries Data officer
- Job category: Fish Production Affairs
- Post date:8 Oct 2019
- Share job:
Vacancy Post of Fisheries Data officer.
|Title:Fisheries Data officer – 1Position||Location:Mogadishu, Somalia||Duration:1 year (Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in Puntland, Somaliland and other existing and emerging federal states. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector, fisheries and renewable energy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Fisheries Data Officer, with guidance from GEEL’s Fisheries Management Consultant, will be responsible for assisting the Fisheries Team Leader to implement GEEL’s fisheries sector activities in accordance with GEEL’s annual work plans, in order to achieve GEEL’s contractual deliverables and indicator targets. H/she will engage with private sector partners and the Federal Government’s Fisheries Data Collection Working Group (FDWG) presently made up of Secure Fisheries. The GEEL Fisheries Data officer will work closely with other agency data collection staff with the overall goal of managing living marine resources for sustainable exploitation. Collection of vital fisheries data that can be used to make scientifically based fisheries management decisions will be the prime objective.
The Fisheries Data Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- With guidance from the Fisheries Management Consultant implement fisheries sector activities according to annual work plans;
- With guidance from the Fisheries Management Consultant, provide training, guidance and technical support to GEEL’s partners, sub-contractors and sub-grantees.
- Assist with the management, analysis and reporting of fisheries data.
- Work closely and coordinate with program activities in all states of Somalia, including Somaliland, and ensure good working relationships with GEEL field staff;
- Develop close working relationships with key sector stakeholders to create new linkages and networks, ensuring interventions in the fisheries sector increase knowledge and understanding of the natural resources;
- Be a first point of contact at GEEL with FDWG, seafood companies and cooperatives and ensure their inclusion into the broader fisheries management undertaken by GEEL as part of FDWG;
- As directed by the Fisheries Team Leader, represent GEEL amongthe various stakeholders engaged in the fisheries management sector, including fisherfolk, processors, associations, exporters, researchers, government, and donors with similar projects;
- Assist with the design and implementation of events related to the fisheries management sector;
- Work with the FDWG to identify and evaluate key opportunities that could improve fisheries management / data collection approaches;
- Detailed liaison and briefings; as may be requested; on fisheries data issues by COP and USAID;
- Any other tasks that may be allotted to the post by the Fisheries Team Leader or COP.
The Fisheries Data Officer will report directly to the Fisheries Team Leader or designee.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field, or a combination of education and work experience in a relevant competency area, including but not limited to; commercial fishing, fisheries management and fisheries training.
- At least 2 years of experience with 1 year of experience working in the marine and fisheries sector, preferably with an INGO, the private sector, university.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multitask, organize, and work productively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent oral and written English and Somali language skills;
- Honest and trustworthy;
- Ability to work independently and as part of the team;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (PowerPoint, Word & Excel);
- Experience analyzing, interpreting and reporting on fisheries data using tools.
- Well-organized and able to perform effectively within tight deadlines;
- Hard-working, self-motivated and possessing a positive attitude;
- Willingness and/or ability to travel throughout Somalia and Somaliland;
- Ability to interact with various local government stakeholders on behalf of the project
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements can submit updated CV and cover letter to Jobs@sogeel.org with subject lineApplication forFisheries Data Officer – Mogadishu.
Deadline:by October 17, 2019.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2190 total views, 6 today