Gender Advisor – Dhusamareb, Galmudug State Of Somalia
- Job category: Gender Affairs
- Post date:23 Jun 2020
- Share job:
Ministry of Interior, Federal & Reconciliation
|Title: Gender Advisor
Duration of the assignment: 3 months
Duty station: Dhusamareb
Supervisor: Director General
Issued Date: 17 – O6 – 2020
Deadline of Submission: 07 – 07 -2020
The Ministry of Interior, Federal and Reconciliation of Galmudug (MOI Galmudug) is mandated to oversee the district council formation process and the capacity building of local governments.The recently launched campaign on building effective local governments that can deliver services to local citizensrevealed gaps that need to be tackled. One of the major gaps identified was in gender equity and it was noted that inclusion of minorities and marginalized populations into the decentralization process of Somalia is vital for the sustainability of delivering services to local communities.
In support of efforts to promote women empowerment and gender equality, the MoI wishes to recruit aGender Advisor to support MOI Galmudug to develop local governments’ improvement plans / guidelines and play a leading role in coordinating and raising awareness on gender issues pertaining to women’s empowerment and representation in local governments of Galmudug.
The objective of the post is to provide high-level advisory support to the MoILG, implementing partners and community elders in support of district council formation, election processes and post council formation capacity building process.
The consultant will develop gender improvement plans / guidelinesthat will aidlocal governments in addressing gaps identified in gender equity as well as assessing the needs, constraints and opportunities for women in the Local Governments of Galmudug.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Director General of the MoI Galmudug and in close collaboration with UNDP- JPLG Project Manager and local team the consultant will:
- Review existing documentation (policies, regulations, guidelines, past reports / assessments) and previous work on women and gender equality in the workplace to identify gaps and opportunities for improvement.
- Hold consultations (virtual and physical with situation permitting)with key stakeholders at the districts level in the development and implementation of gender improvement plans/ guidelines to ensure that the final document has Government ownership.
- Present the draft improvement plans / guidelines to key stakeholders for discussion.
- Provide guidance to local governments and other relevant policy forums to ensure gender equality and women empowerment during the District Council Formation(DCF) processes and local government capacity building processes
- Support the implementation of the gender improvementplans/ guidelines and gender mainstreaming in policies and procedures.
- Conduct a validation workshop (virtual and physical with situation permitting) with key stakeholders on the final draft including key conclusions and recommendations.
- The MoI Galmudug will facilitate the online meetings with stakeholders as required
- Inception report that responds to the ToR and a review of relevant documentation including a workplan and methodology for the assignment, the documents reviewed and to be reviewed and an indicative list of key stakeholders to be consulted.
- Draft gender improvement plans / guidelines ensuring inclusivity in all local government level process (both political and administrative)
- Final validated gender improvement plans / guidelines
Advanced university degree in gender, development studies, social sciences or related field together with at least 5 years of relevant experience in gender, local governance and institutional management preferably in fragile/post conflict countries such as Somalia.
- At least five (5) years of relevant professional experience on social inclusion, political participation and gender policy issues
- Experience in coordination and networking at a high level and the ability to interact with a range of actors
- Technical expertise in developing guidelines/ plans on gender mainstreaming, gender tool kits and budgeting.
- Proven record of analytical work on gender and capacity building
- Demonstrable experience on the theory and methodology of gender mainstreaming and inclusion of marginalized groups
- A clear understanding of public institutions/policy and their administrative structures
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a complex environment and ability to deliver through translating ideas and visions into practice.
- Willingness to consult other stakeholders specifically MoILG, Ministry of Women of Galmudug, UNDP and gender players in Galmudug
- A solid understanding of gender issues in Galmudug State.
- Experience in dealing with partners at all levels including government officials, civil society organizations and other national counterparts.
- Competence in the use of software applications (Microsoft Office)
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in both Somali and English are essential
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send your cover letter detailing previous work done and curriculum vitae, before the deadline of Application 07 – 07 -2020, to the e-mail: Hr.email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Ministry of Interior will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- Only e-mail applications will be accepted
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2729 total views, 4 today