Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Adviseror the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
- Job category: Advisor
- Post date:27 Sep 2019
- Share job:
Creative Associates International Inc.
BUILD Project – Somalia
Job Title: Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Adviseror the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defence. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work and live in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates. The Advisor will be embedded in the National Independent Electoral Commission in Villa Somalia and will directly report to the Chairperson.
The Bringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by developing the capacity of governmental actors to design and administer electoral processes and by fostering increased citizen and media participation and oversight of the democratic process.
Regarding Somalia, BUILD will work to develop the capacity of the NIEC in the design, development and implementation of electoral processes leading to credible one-person-one-vote elections scheduled for 2020. The Training Advisor will be supported in the delivery of their role by a BUILD International Training Expert
Contract duration:6 Months with a possible extension.
Position Start Date:Immediate
The Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Adviser will report directly to the Chairperson on organizational wide initiatives aimed at sustaining and improving a diverse and inclusive workforce, and in promoting an inclusive electoral cycle in Somalia.
S/he will be responsible for providing strategic guidance, oversight and expertise to shape NIEC’s GESI agenda, representing NIEC in various internal and external GESI fora as well as influencing and monitoring related internal and external communication concerning NIEC’s work.
As part of the core responsibilities, s/he will provide expert advice to the Chairperson, the Senior Management Team (SMT) in the Secretariat, engage Directors and managers and define policies and communication strategies on GESI for NIEC.
S/he will also be responsible for overseeing the work of a GESI Manager whose role will be the day-to-day operational work of GESI mainstreaming
- Advise the Chair, Board and Senior Management Team (SMT) on gender equality and social inclusion issues, policies and practices as it pertains to mainstreaming GESI in the electoral cycle in Somalia;
- Advise Directors of Departments on actions to embed GESI into their areas of work and cross-functionally at Headquarters in Mogadishu and in field offices in the regions.
- Define and maintain strategic oversight of organizational priorities in the areas of GESI and work with SMT to design appropriate interventions to achieve them throughout the workforce.
- Develop a clear monitoring and evaluation framework to track accountability and progress measurements that will provide SMT with meaningful disaggregated data on achievements and barriers to progress.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of NIEC’s GESI Implementation Plan
- Assess all proposals/documents/plans for inclusion of GESI issues and where appropriate suggest ways in which GESI can be incorporated.
- Lead the initiatives on GESI training for staff of NIEC and other CSOs working in conjunction with NIEC on inclusive electoral processes.
- Develop a communication strategy related to GESI and electoral cycle activities
- Liaise with Ministry of Women and Human Rights Development to inform and involve them of NIEC’s GESI activities
- Liaise with IESG, Creative Associates International, UN Women, and other development-partners in ensuring all GESI activities are well coordinated without duplication of efforts;
- Liaise with CSOs to support their initiatives on GESI in electoral cycle
- Report quarterly to the Board on progress with implementation of the GESI Implementation Plan.
The Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Adviser will report directly to the Chairperson of NIEC and will also provide a weekly written report to BUILD Technical Advisor
Required qualifications and professional experience:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience on GESI in a leadership role preferred;
- At least five years’ experience in GESI analysis, training, planning, integration and implementation;
- Experience advising and supporting executive management essential;
- In-depth knowledge of GESI best practices, concepts and programs as well as experience in GESI data management (monitoring indicators, analysis disaggregated data and using it to influence decision-making);
- Prior experience carrying out similar work in government and/or international organizations;
- Experience in working with government, civil society organizations and international development institutions.
- Understanding of experience of women and marginalized groups within the electoral cycle, including analyzing their underlying barriers to accessing their rights and resources and in representation;
- Knowledge about Somali Policies and Legislations related to GESI and international policies on GESI; and
- Strong analytical thinking and change management; demonstrated leadership qualities, including the ability to influence senior management and exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; demonstrated ability to work in complex and ambiguous situations as well as competing priorities, both in a team and independent manner.
Practical experience with GESI mainstreaming in the electoral cycle, while not essential, would be an advantage.
- Degree in relevant discipline. A Master’s degree from an accredited university is preferred
- Fluent in English and Somali (written and spoken)
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org 5 PM on October 15, 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
998 total views, 2 today