General Manager – Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:10 Jan 2022
- Job expires in: 4 days
- Share job:
GENERAL MANAGER-DAMAL HOTEL
COMPANY /DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:
Damal Hotel the Hospitality arm of Dahabshiil Group, the fastest growing business group with interests in financial services, banking, telecommunications, real estate, and energy & power sectors among others. Damal hotel has two branches (Hargeisa and Berbera). The Damal hotelmanagement, under the leadership of the Chief Executive Officer plans to recruit a General Manager.More information about Damal Hotel refer to: https://damalhotels.com/hargeisa/about-us/
General Position Summary:
The general Manager reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer andwill be responsible to direct the strategic and operational development to ensure progress of the hotel, manage overall standards and services.To ensure Operation of the hotel will be within the framework of approved annual budget, annual marketing plan, annual capital expenditure plan and annual wage plan, and always within the framework of all Company policies.
- Lead the management utilizing a participative style: be readily available and effectively communicate with each member, coordinate the operation of each individual’s department and special projects, and assist in identifying problems and solutions;
- Guide the Management in dealing with the hotel’s problems and opportunities in order to best serve the financial interests of the company in close consultation with the CEO.
- Development of annual operating budget which will serve as an operating plan and define required levels of achievement.
- Assure achievement of annual budget in revenues, costs and profits through accounting diligence and expenditure controls and proficient accounting practices.
- Set written priorities and key objectives for each department head quarterly including action plan and completion date.
- Follow up to assure successful implementation and follow-through and take corrective action in the event of failure to meet assigned objectives.
- Monthly forecasting of operating staff and cost expenditures.
- Business planning in line with forecasted sales and costs including guidance to department heads.
P & L Statement Critique
- Monthly review of financial statement in order to correct problems, assure spending is in line and to plan for future business.
- Review and approve all expenses in “other expense” categories in all departments.
- Regularly review all major expenses to assure that monies are wisely expended.
- Develop a high level of esprit de corps and loyalty to the hotel and to the company in order to reduce turnover and increase employee morale.
- Communicate, counsel and assist in staff development.
- Be visible and available to all hourly personnel in accordance with the Company’s open door policy.
- Attend monthly department employee meetings whenever possible.
- Conduct performance appraisal and personal development plans for management staff.
- Identify substandard performance of individual managers and outline improvement action, including taking corrective or disciplinary measures.
- Assure level of experience, knowledge and ability to meet job requirements of all hotel management.
- Cost Controls Review controls and assure adherence at all times in order to protect the hotel’s property/assets.
Wage and Salary Administration
- Review all wage and salary increases assuring compliance with wage scales and compensation philosophies as outlined in the Company’s management manuals.
- Future Business Quarterly review of future bookings of room nights and banquet sales, early identification of weak periods, implementing yield management practices.
- Quarterly review of pricing including review of cost increases and competitive pricing in room rates, restaurant, lounge and banquet areas.
- Assure recommendation and implementation of price increases on a timely basis.
- Regular personal inspection of guest rooms, public areas, back of house, banquet function set-ups. Assure that written lists are developed of corrective actions required for implementation by housekeeping, maintenance and operating departments.
- Guest service through leadership and example, establish a friendly, courteous, service-oriented approach to guests that is exhibited by all hotel employees.
- Establish and implement guest service standards for all departments, periodically review, identify problems and corrective actions.
- Assure that an on-going program is followed in regular repair and upkeep of the facility, landscape and equipment by developing and implementing a preventive maintenance program.
- Development of annual sales and marketing plan.
- Monitor implementation of marketing plan action steps.
- Regular review of sales solicitation activities, room nights productivity and group room rates sold by the sales department.
- Regularly review individual productivity taking corrective action and guiding as needed.
- Evaluate market mix and take action in order to best position the hotel for increased business.
- Involvement in sales solicitation of key accounts by reviewing contracts, meeting with sales department, visit key account contacts in person and by phone.
Food and Beverage Promotion
- Monitor the success of F&B promotion programs. Take corrective actions as required.
- Monitor sales levels in order to take steps to reverse negative sales trends.
- Maintain credit policies at Front Office, Sales and Catering.
- Attend credit meetings and assist in developing action plans, supervise collections of major accounts, review of aging reports and approval of write-offs.
Front Office Management
- Regular review of Front Office results in order to maximize room revenue.
- Identify problem areas and initiate solutions.
- Represent the hotel within the local community, positioning the hotel as a good corporate citizen that is involved and supportive of community affairs.
Policies and Procedures
- Assure that all Company policies and procedures are formulated, approved and fully implemented throughout the hotel.
- Degree in the following Fields: Food Science, Business Administration or management, hotel and hospitality management, travel, tourism or leisure studies. Masters will be added advantage
- Minimum experience of 10 years of which 3 years must be previous experience as General Manager or 5 years Assistant General Manager at a similar size and type of hotel
- Brand experience: Five star deluxe brand experience with either International brands or globally recognized independent property.
- Large property management: Previous experience at General Manager Level of a large hotel, multiple food and beverage outlets of free standing quality and large scale catering operations.
- A keen eye for detail will be mandatory as well as the ability to establish quality and customer service levels of the highest international standards.
- Project management: Previous project management of multiple renovations and/or pre-opening experience is essential.
- Commercial expertise: Advanced commercial skill set required. Candidate will need to demonstrate a highly evolved skill set in sales, marketing, revenue and finance functions with the clear capability to drive top line performance in all revenue centres, and deliver equally excellent conversion to operating profit. Previous experience of repositioning or opening a hotel will be an advantage.
- People management: Demonstrates a highly evolved approach to leading a diverse team with a passion for mentoring, training and development. The ability to shape, engage and lead a high performing team will be critical.
The position requires an innovative hotel and hospitality management experience, reporting skills, Planning and organizing, Teamwork and staff management, The individual must have strong communication and interpersonal skills to relate at all levels in the organization- in additional to tried negotiation skills in a cross- cultural environment; Mastery in delegating multiple tasks; organizational and interpersonal skills; High degree of integrity; Strategic thinking and results oriented; familiar with the Horn of Africa hotel industry operations, Track record of good management and development skills; Guest-oriented and service-minded A high level of personal motivation and enthusiasm; Proficiency in multiple international languages – this is not essential but could be an advantage however Fluency in Somali and English languages required.
This position is based in Hargeisa, Somaliland and is unaccompanied. Travel within Somaliland/Somalia is required to support Damal offices. This position is eligible for very completive salary package and other benefits as per our Human Resource policy.Damal hotel staff members represent the company and Dahabshiil Group both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and company’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country and International venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Damal Hotel’s vision. We, are an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
How to Apply
Written applications should be addressed to:
The Director Human Resource and Administration,
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications by submitting a detailed CV and Cover letter as a single document via Email: email@example.com to be received on or before 25thJanuary, 2022 with the subject line ‘‘General Manager-Damal Hotel.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2392 total views, 3 today