Immunization Specialist – NOC, Fixed Term, Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
- Job category: Health/WASH
- Post date:2 Sep 2021
- Share job:
Immunization Specialist – NOC, Fixed Term, Garowe (Somali Nationals only)
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Health, Expanded Programme Immunization
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Hope.
How can you make a difference?
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Immunization (EPI) Specialist is accountable for professional leadership in and contribution to the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and administration of the Immunization programme in conjunction with Child Survival and Development, Maternal and Child Health, Health and Nutrition components within the country programme, to achieve the UNICEF’s immunization plus goals and objectives for Somalia, with a focus on the central south regions.
Accountable for ensuring the UNICEF Immunization programme promotes gender equality, with an emphasis on gender disaggregation, gender disparity identification and gender mainstreaming.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES, DUTIES & TASKS
1. Timely sectoral analysis, input, support and coordination contribute to the Situation Analysis with consistent integration of sex disaggregated data and its periodic update for effective project planning, development and management.
- Contributes towards the preparation of the Situation Analysis by compiling, analysing and evaluating information and providing the technical input. Ensures the preparation of the Situation Analysis relative to Immunization (EPI) interventions in the country and its periodic update. Prepares sectoral input to the Country Programme Document, and all related documents (e.g., Plan of Operations, Project Plans of Action, Country Programme Summary Sheet, Programme Summary Sheet) of the Immunization programme.
2. Quality contributions are made to the development and implementation of the Immunization strategies and approaches through participation and collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Collaborates with other UNICEF sectors, particularly Health, Nutrition, HIV and programme communication (C4D) to ensure integration of the Immunization programme with other sectors.
- Participates with UNICEF, Government, non-government organizations (NGOs) and other partners in the development of the immunization strategies and approaches.
- Ensures achievement of strategic results in line with agreed Annual and Country Programme objectives and adopts corrective action to meet programme/project objectives.
- Contributes to the identification of new approaches for improving programme delivery with emphasis on project management, evaluation, sustainability of intervention and community participation based on Human Rights framework and cross sector approach to programming and Community Capacity Development.
3. Work plan and objectives are strategically established, technical support is effectively provided, and planned results are timely delivered through exercise of strong technical leadership.
- As Immunization Specialist, exercises technical leadership for, and participates in, the development of the results-based sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for administration, implementation, monitoring and follow-up of sectoral project activity, consistent with the defined project strategies and approaches. Ensures objectives and targets are timely met and achieved, through full coordination between activities, by leading and supporting a team of professional and support staff.
- Meets with national and international agencies overseeing the management of programmes/projects. Participates in meetings with ministries responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements, and integration of gender mainstreaming across sectors.
4. Project implementation progress is monitored and evaluated for adjustment, acceleration and improvement of program delivery and sustainability.
- Undertakes field visits to monitor programmes, as well as participates in periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners. Identifies necessary action for programme adjustments. Provides technical advice and assistance to government officials and implementing partners in the planning and management of the Immunization programme and ensure sustainability of interventions.
- Support maintenance of information system for monitoring gender/sex disaggregated data.
5. Technical support is provided to government and NGOs at all stages of the programme cooperation, including capacity building of government personnel and beneficiaries.
- Provides technical support to government and NGOs at the national and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the programmes/projects. Identifies training needs; plans, organizes and conducts training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building, sustainability of programme/projects and promotion/expansion of coverage of services.
6. The capacities of Field Office staff are strengthened through effective capacity building programme in the development, implementation and management of the Immunization Programme.
- Plans and organizes a staff training/development programme to upgrade the capacity of the Field Office staff in the programme development, implementation and management of the Immunization Programme. Conducts relevant orientation, workshop, training and staff learning/development activities.
7. UNICEF and Government accountability is ensured for supply and non-supply assistance and disbursement of programme funds for the sector.
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring UNICEF and Government partner accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, ensuring those activities are within established plans of action and programme budget allotments.
- Monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated. Submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
8. Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme coordination, information sharing and knowledge networking.
- Coordinates activities and exchanges information and knowledge with other programmes to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives. Participates in establishing effective monitoring, knowledge database/network and reporting systems to ensure the availability of current and accurate programme information/data and contributes to the development of communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and community participation for the Immunization Programme.
- Maintains close working relationships to establish partnership and collaboration with external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate relevant data, exchange information on programme/project development and implementation. Ensures exchange of knowledge, information, experience and lessons learned.
9. The most relevant and strategic information is provided to support the Immunization Programme by the effective implementation of the monitoring system.
- In collaboration with monitoring and evaluation and program communication colleagues, conducts accurate and timely monitoring and data collection, and supports an integrated monitoring system.
- Participates in major evaluation exercises, programme mid-term review, annual sector review and preview meetings. Analyses and evaluates data to ensure achievement of objectives and recommends corrective measures as appropriate.
- Ensures the accurate and timely input of project information in the monitoring system, and issues status reports for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
10. All required programme reports are timely prepared in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures the timely preparation of annual sector status reports in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures. Participates in the preparation of all programme reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, and annual reports.
11. Emergency preparedness is maintained; and in emergencies, emergency responses with effective coordination are provided.
- Collaborates in forming emergency preparedness plan relating to the areas of responsibility. In case of emergency, participates in monitoring and assessing the nature and extent of the emergency in the assigned area. Coordinates and provides assistance to both the Country and Field Office in identifying where support is required in terms of immediate response as well as long-term strategy and plan.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in Medicine, Public Health, Pediatric Health, Child Health, Epidemiology, or other relevant disciplines.
- Five years of professional work experience at the national and international levels in planning, programming, implementation monitoring and evaluation of health/Immunization programmes. Professional work experience in a technical expert position related to child survival & health care.
- Evident field work experience in EPI
- Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station (for NO).
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Innovates and embraces change
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- The positions are open to all (Internal and External candidates).
- UNICEF only considers Higher education qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU), United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process
Advertised: 02 Sep 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 15 Sep 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1698 total views, 3 today