Infrastructure Engineer -Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Engineering/Construction Work
- Post date:6 Jan 2021
- Share job:
Infrastructure Engineer -Mogadishu- Somali-National only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Project Coordinator with technical reporting to the DRSLPII Chief Eningeer
Number of direct reports: None
Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Country Office has over 600 staff across 14 field offices (Boroma, Burao and Hargeisa in Somaliland; Bossaso, Garowe, Galkayo and Gardo in Puntland; Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhobley and Mogadishu in southern states). Our Country Office coordination and administration base is in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2017, as a result of significant scale up for the countrywide drought response, our annual spend FY2017 was US$117 million and we reached more than 2 million people through our humanitarian and longer-term development work in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance. The Country Office manages 61 active awards totalling US$165 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA being some of our largest.
The Infrastructure Engineer will organize all activities related to the implementation of construction works DRSLP II Project from design to implementation, including logistics and monitoring. Responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all construction activities in the assigned location. To supervise all engineering staff in order to effectively implement planned projects. To manage all administration and security of SC engineering activities in the assigned location. S/he will have to coordinate closely with the Community Mobilization Team and ensure that all projects implemented are demand-driven and communities comply with SC requirements in terms of contribution. S/he will report to the Project Director
|TITLE: Infrastructure Engineer|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Program Operations||LOCATION: Mogadishu|
|GRADE: 3||CONTRACT LENGTH: 6 Months|
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Infrastructure Engineer will organize all activities related to the implementation of construction works DRSLP II Project from design to implementation, including logistics and monitoring. Responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all construction activities in the assigned location. To supervise all engineering staff in order to effectively implement planned projects. To manage all administration and security of SC engineering activities in the assigned location. S/he will have to coordinate closely with the Community Mobilization Team and ensure that all projects implemented are demand-driven and communities comply with SC requirements in terms of contribution. S/he will report to the Project Director.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Project Coordinator with technical reporting to the DRSLPII Chief Eningeer
Number of direct reports: None
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
» Supervise and manage sub-contracts (construction) including BOQ, costs, quality of construction and timeliness.
» Prepare tender documents and technical specifications for all construction projects
» Confirm completion of construction works in writing and provide technical support to the programme management team.
» Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, explaining SC’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
» Through agreed upon survey methodologies and established prioritization criteria identify suitable locations for the implementation of the construction activities.
» Guarantee community involvement at all phases of the project (identification, design, implementation, and monitoring) to ensure the development of community ownership for the projects. This should be done in coordination and cooperation with SC concerned sectors
» Get initial approval for all plans and final approval from the AR and the relevant Technical Specialist before commencement of project implementation.
» Prior to commencement of project implementation, complete standard Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with community representatives and local authorities for each community identified for project activities. Ensure that all elements of MoU are adhered to. Report any problems relating to the MoU to the AR.
» Implement projects as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules and timelines. This will include site selection based on community agreement (the site should be suitable physically and socially).
» In accordance with project goals and in co-ordination with program staff, establish Community Working Groups. These groups will be involved in all phases of project activities (as following):
» Report any variations or problems with implementation of projects (in regards to staffing, costs, schedules, technical matters) to the AR. Where necessary, regularly update project implementation plans with associated time lines.
» Ensure full adherence to the SC security plans and protocols conscientiously respecting the declared ‘go and no-go’ zones ensuring that staff respects them.
» Supervise the procurement of any materials needed through a competitive and transparent bidding process following the SC polices design for this purpose and together with the warehouse manager ensures that they are safely stored until they are use.
» In the exceptional case of highly technical projects, organize a competitive bidding process to select the most qualified and cost-effective contractor as well as it manages the contract certifying the quality of the works performed.
» Coordinate with local authorities to obtain all licenses needed.
» Ensure that there is community contribution during the implementation phase either through labor or in kind financially.
» Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact and propose recommendations for improvements.
» Provide regular written and verbal reports to the relevant Project Manager on infrastructure development activity.
» Organizes site-visits to the projects sites and hostess missions/consultants.
» Other duties as assigned.
· In coordination with the Human Resources Unit, carrying out recruitment procedures for the project engineers.
· Training, coordinating and supervising the other project engineers and evaluating their performance.
· Externally, Establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with representatives from donors, local municipalities, partners, workers, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
· Internally, establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with the TAs, the Awards, Finance, Program Quality, HR , Operations departments
Other objectives and duties:
· As requested by the Area Representative, for the effective implementation of the project.
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
• Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
• Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
• Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
• Understands the link between their work and the organization’s objectives
DEVELOPING SELF AND OTHERS(SKILLED)
• Shows awareness of their strength and limitation and actively takes responsibility for their development
• Seeks out feedback to understand their area for improvement
• Actively shares knowledge and experience with others
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING(SKILLED)
• Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
• Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable
• Knows when to involve others in a decision
• Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
WORKING EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS(SKILLED)
• Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
• Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
• Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
• Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximize impact Displays consistent excellent judgement.
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Extensive experience (minimal 5 years) of Infrastructure engineering in humanitarian or fragile state contexts
· A degree in civil or Architectural engineering, with experience in WASH engineering and hygiene promotion activities and Education projects in an NGO context.
· Experience in Computer Aided Designs like AUTOCAD, ARCHICAD, REVIT ETC is MUST
· Experience in quantity surveying, project design, implementation and evaluation.
· Ability to write clear, well-argued technical assessment and project reports
· Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
· Excellent communication skills
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
· Commitment to SC’s Child Protection Policy
· Computer literate (ability to use advanced excel)
· A basic level of written and spoken English and good command over Somali
· Experience of and ability to represent SC work in external meetings.
· Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
· Ability to work hands on implementation capacity
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
|Date of issue: December Author:|
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive experience (minimal 5 years) of Infrastructure engineering in humanitarian or fragile state contexts
- A degree in civil or Architectural engineering, with experience in WASH engineering and hygiene promotion activities and Education projects in an NGO context.
- Experience in Computer Aided Designs like AUTOCAD, ARCHICAD, REVIT ETC is MUST
- Experience in quantity surveying, project design, implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to write clear, well-argued technical assessment and project reports
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Commitment to SC’s Child Protection Policy
- Computer literate (ability to use advanced excel)
- A basic level of written and spoken English and good command over Somali
- Experience of and ability to represent SC work in external meetings.
- Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
- Ability to work hands on implementation capacity
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at https://somalia.savethechildren.net/careers
Application will be close on 10th Jan 2021.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1467 total views, 1 today