Institutional Development Unit (IDU) Manager – NEXUS Consortium – Somalia
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:22 Feb 2021
- Job expires in: 4 days
- Share job:
Institutional Development Unit (IDU) Manager – NEXUS Consortium
NEXUS (https://nexusom.org) is a platform for civil society leadership to advance a new community-driven model of partnership promoting peaceful, thriving, and empowered communities in Somalia and Somaliland. This unique platform, led by nine pioneering Somali NGOs, aspires to lead a locally driven agenda for change, finding common cause and syncing interventions with government authorities, private sector, and the international community. Central to the platform’s strategy is the establishment of an Institutional Development Unit (IDU), led by Save the Children, with two objectives:
- To strengthen the capacity of the 9 core Nexus member organisations, guiding both ‘hard and soft’ investments through partner-authored capacity development plans.
- To introduce and advocate for a singular, comprehensive partner capacity assessment tool for Somalia and Somaliland – accommodating the expectations of a key range of donors – from which partners can graduate against common standards.
Capacity strengthening for the core Nexus members (objective 1) is the most urgent task for the IDU – and the completion of partner capacity development plans will define the IDU’s subsequent scope of work.
The main task of this position within the Consortium is to lead the Institutional Development Unit of NEXUS platform and oversee implementation of the results of assessments undertaken through systematic reviews and assessments of each member organizations’ internal functions (organisational base), program performance and its relationship with its target groups and other relevant actors and use the same to build/develop the capacity of Nexus member organisations based on gaps identified.
- The IDU manager is responsible for the effective design, development, organization and management of the Institutional Development (ID) component of NEXUS.
- In consultation with the Nexus Consortium Director and the Steering Committee, the IDU Manager will guide and oversee the development and implementation of an appropriate strategy, framework, systems and processes for ID at NEXUS.
- The IDU Manager will be responsible for establishing and managing the ID Unit, coordinating and monitoring effective implementation of the agreed plans and performance targets, undertaking periodic reviews and producing regular progress reports.
- S/he will ensure that close working and supportive relationships are established and maintained with the NEXUS platform members, partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- S/he will ensure that effective and inclusive consultation processes and coordination and communication mechanisms are in place.
- The IDU Manager also supports and works closely with the Consortium Director, the Steering Committee and the larger membership of the platform on developing and implementing strategies and fostering shared vision and direction for NEXUS.
- The IDU manager will closely work with Save Somali Women & Children in its capacity as the fund manager to meet the donor expectations and requirements.
Reports to the NEXUS Consortium Director and manages the overall ID Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing ID Objectives, Strategies and Work Plans:
- In consultation with the Consortoum Directorand NEXUS leadership, lead the development of appropriate ID objectives, strategies and work plans including performance targets and budgets.
- Monitor the progress against agreed plans, initiate corrective actions and produce regular reports to Consortium Directorand NEXUS leadership;
- Undertake periodic review of the ID activities in consultation with all key stakeholders and produce recommendations and proposals as required.
- Managing ID Unit.
- In consultation with Consortium Director, oversee the recruitment and selection of the Unit’s advisors and other staff members.
- Provide ongoing and regular support and supervision; monitor and evaluate personal performance and development and take action as necessary.
- Provide advice and consultancy, including mentoring, to NEXUS members.
- Liaise and work closely with the NEXUS members’ teams in the regions to ensure effective planning and implementation of institutional Development initiative for NEXUS offices and members.
- Undertake field visits as required.
- Ensure the establishment of a close working relationship and cooperation with NEXUS members’ Capacity Development Department or focal persons as the key implementing counterpart for ID component
- Ensure the development and establishment of effective consultation processes and coordination and communication mechanisms with NEXUS departments, members and other key stakeholders.
- Assist the Consortium Directorand collaborate with other members of the Program Management Team in developing, implementing and monitoring Program’s objectives and strategies and fostering shared vision and direction;
- Support and assist with the development and implementation of Program’s organizational development plans and relevant policies, procedures, system and processes.
- Assist the Consortium Program Development Managerin developing concepts, designing projects and writing proposals, and producing reports.
- As requested, facilitate and/or participate in events, seminars, ad hoc working groups, etc;
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Ability to think and communicate clearly with others, motivate and lead people;
- Demonstrated abilities to take initiative, build consensus and make things happen;
- Ability to enhance knowledge through training, mentoring and personal initiative.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, particularly Law, Sociology, Social Work or other related field;
- Minimum of 7 years of management experience including at least five years at senior level;
- Considerable project and program development and management preferably in a international development setting;
- Extensive knowledge of Institutional/Organizational Development with experience as a management consultant.
- Proven leadership and people management skills;
- Excellent communication skills: Speaking, writing, and listening;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate and influence;
- Demonstrated facilitation skills, with training skills highly desirable; and
- Computer skills, including extensive experience using Microsoft Word and Excel Internet and e-mail skills required.
- Proven experience within the field of organizational capacity assessments and development for Civil Society Organizations of at least 5 years.
- Extensive hands-on experience in organisational capacity assessment and development, capacity building strategic plan development, proposal development and fundraising, mentoring and coaching.
- Experience of working in a resource poor environment.
- Experience of working in Somalia/Somaliland context an asset.
- Proficiency in Somali language is mandatory.
- Ability to transfer skills and knowledge through formal or informal training and skills sharing.
- Developed analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate and work with a wide range of stakeholders in a participatory, respectful, collaborative manner, and to enhance effective work relationships.
- Commitment to team building and a consensus-led approach to work.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications, an updated CV with a comprehensive summary of similar or comparable work. The CV should include three (3) referees.
We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Early application is encouraged as this position is urgently required. This is a rolling recruitment and Nexus reserves the right to appoint a suitable candidate as soon as they are identified.
Nexus platform is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. We welcome and encourage applications from women, minority and underrepresented groups.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
709 total views, 51 today