International Consultant – Writer to produce UNICEF Somalia country kit and related products – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Consultant
- Post date:18 Jan 2022
- Share job:
International Consultant – Writer to produce UNICEF Somalia country kit and related products, Mogadishu, Somalia – 40 days – [remote assignment]
Job no: 547758
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Communication / External Relations
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Information
How can you make a difference?
- Read relevant Country Programme documents to familiarize himself/herself with UNICEF’s work in Somalia;
- In consultation with the Deputy Representative Programmes and the Chief of Communication, develop an outline of themes and sub-themes to be covered in the country kit, ensuring that cross-cutting themes such as gender, early childhood education, communication for development, and emergency response, are adequately represented.
- Submit a concept for the country kit.
- Submit a production schedule that includes travel to Somalia, interviews with key programme staff to gain deeper insights, travel to field locations in Somalia, production, post-production, and submission of final text.
- Review previous human interest stories and select and edit appropriate stories for inclusion in the country kit.
- Work with the communication section to select relevant pictures for each story and ensure they are fully captioned.
- Identify and hire a designer to design and lay out the text. The consultant will review mock-ups of the country kit and associated products to align them with the pre-production concept.
- UNICEF will provide relevant background documents for the consultant to review;
- The consultant is expected to draw most of the material for the country kit and associated products from these background documents. However, as these are communication tools, the consultant is also expected to colour the text with human interest stories, call-outs, quotes, factboxes, etc.
- The themes and sub-themes will be agreed with the Deputy Representative (Programmes) and Chief of Communication.
- Drafts will be submitted to the Chief of Communication as per production schedule and reviewed by relevant Programme Chiefs and Chiefs of Field Offices before final review by the Deputy Representative (Programmes) and sign-off by the Representative.
- The consultant will interview programme chiefs for an in-depth understanding of the UNICEF Somalia country programme.
- The consultant is expected to work with the communication section in choosing relevant pictures, having them fully captioned and submitted, together with the text, for production.
- The consultant will receive mock-ups of the country kit and associated products and provide comment, ensuring that they fit with the concept.
- Production schedule
- Country kit concept
- Country kit text
- Approved country kit, fully designed and laid out as per concept
The writer will work under the direct supervision of the Chief of Communication and in close collaboration with the Deputy Representative Programmes.
Feedback on drafts will be coordinated by the Chief of Communication.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced degree in journalism, communication, development studies, social sciences or a related field.
- At least eight (8) years’ experience in communication, development, or any related social science field;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Strong understanding of data, interpretation, analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines without compromising quality of work;
- Computer literacy and knowledge of standard PC software packages;
- Knowledge of development issues facing women and children, human rights, social inclusion and social change, gender equality, and inclusive development.
- Experience in researching and writing on similar projects, with a demonstrated ability to complete a project of this nature.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Willing and able to travel.
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Knowledge of UNICEF programmes is highly desirable.
- High ethical standards and understanding of sensitivities relating to interviewing and writing about children.
- Strong understanding of UNICEF programmes and policy, including knowledge of UNICEF guiding principles for media and branding.
- Strong commitment to advancing the rights or women and children.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF only considers Higher education qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU), United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: 18 Jan 2022 E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 31 Jan 2022 E. Africa Standard Time
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1207 total views, 1 today