INVITATION TO BID FOR CONSULTANCY for the 2019 Joint Review of the Education Sector in Somaliland
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:30 Sep 2019
- Share job:
|INVITATION TO BID FOR CONSULTANCY|
|1||Title of Consultancy||Terms of Reference for the 2019 Joint Review of the Education Sector in Somaliland|
|2||Period of||30 Days|
|3||Consultant type||International /National Person or consultancy|
|4||Responsibility for||MOES will cover for any Logistics arrangements and costs; including travel, food,|
|Logistics||accommodation and local transport.|
|5||Taxation Provisions||Consultant shall be responsible for all Taxes arising from the consultancy in line|
|with Somaliland Government Tax regulations|
|6||Qualification and||• Advanced degree in education or related social sciences|
|Experience||• At least seven years of relevant experience mostly in supporting education|
|sector and experience in education sector planning, review and evaluation|
|is highly preferred asset;|
|• Have hands-on experience with designing, implementing and monitoring|
|Sector-Wide Approaches in Education|
|• Strong background in data analysis, planning and policy development at the|
|• Excellent command of the English language with demonstrated analytical|
|and report writing skills, presentation and facilitation skills;|
|• Ability to work in difficult environments; previous experience of working in|
|fragile contexts or transition countries is an asset;|
|• Specific knowledge of the education sector in Somaliland|
|• Availability and commitment to complete the assignment within strict|
|• Computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft Office;|
|• Ability to speak and write the Somali language is highly preferable|
|7||Evaluation Criteria||The consultant must meet the above required qualifications and experience.|
|8||Application Procedure||Interested consultants should submit their applications via email to|
|The applications should be submitted in PDF format as one document|
|comprising Technical and Financial sections as detailed below.|
|• A technical proposal with a detailed response to the TOR, with|
|specific focus on the scope of work, methodology to be used and|
|key selection criteria.|
|• Initial work plan based on the methodology outlined, and indication|
|• A financial proposal detailing the daily rate expected but not|
|including accommodation, transportation, stationary, research|
|assistances and all other cost related to this assignment.|
|• Company profile and CV’s of key expert.|
|Applicants should also indicate the date they are available to start working|
|on the consultancy|
|All applications MUST be submitted on or before the closing date below to|
|be considered for the assignment.|
|Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.|
|12||Closing date for||Interested consultants shall submit their applications through the email|
|Applications||address provided above on||13th October, 2019|
|Shortlisted candidates will be requested for an interview.|
Terms of reference of 2019 Joint Review of the Education Sector in Somaliland
Somaliland has been recovering from historic conflict and fragility since 1991 and has established its own government system and functions. It has managed to maintain peace and security in the last two decades and significant improvement has been made in many social and economic sectors including Education Services. However, the education sector still requires support to improve adequate access to good quality, equitable and efficient services to all children. The MOES finalized the 2012 – 2016 ESSP, with the support of the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) conducted Education Situation Analysis (ESA), and developed the 2017 – 2021 ESSP.Through the support of the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) and UNICEF. The Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP 2017- 2021) is guided by the National Education Policy of 2015-2030, and represents a new vision for the education sector. It sets out the policies and objectives of the education system that will be achieved during the next four years. These policies and objectives have been developed based on the national and international commitments of the Government of Somaliland through the Ministry of Education and Science.to provide quality, affordable and competitive education to its citizens throughout the country. This is well articulated in the Missions, Goals and Objectives of the 15-year Somaliland National Policy for
Education (2015-2030), the Somaliland National Development Goals, 2012, the National Development Plan II 2017-21 and in the Constitution of Somaliland.
The targets/educational outcomes for ESSP 2017-2021 for GER for ECE is projected to increase from 3.2% to 14.3%. The GER for Primary Education (including ABE), is projected to increase from 44.3% to 67.4%, and the GER for Secondary Education is projected to increase from 21.3% to 35%. The ESSP covers five years and has a budget of US$ 275 million. The ESSP was designed to provide maximum impact on the education system. The strategic plan consists of Early Childhood Education; Primary Education; Non-Formal Basic Education (NFE); Secondary Education; Teacher Education; Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET), and Higher (tertiary) Education, and the cross cutting areas including Governance and Institutional Capacity; Education Decentralization; Curriculum framework; Quality Assurance Systems, Standards and Supervision.
The Somaliland MOES conducts Annual Joint Review of the Education Sector (JRES) to review the yearly performance of the five years ESSP (2017-21). The review is used as a sector wide performance monitoring system to measure and continuously follow up the progress made against yearly planned activities and result indicators to improve coordination and collaboration among education stakeholders. The review involves the different departments of the MOES at all levels, development partners, civil society and the private sector. The JRES initiative started in 2014 and so far conducted a review meeting were conducted in 2014 to 2017 and the ministry is currently planning to conduct the fourth 2018 and 2019 JRES.
- Purpose of the consultancy work
The consultant will coordinate and facilitate the sector review process in collaboration with the MoES and development agencies through gathering relevant qualitative and quantitative data on the achievement of 2018 and 2019 set priorities and plan within the ESSP result framework.
- Objectives of the consultancy work
- To collect sufficient information and data evidence and critically review the 2018 and 2019 annual plan and achievement against the ESSP result indicators
- To participate and coordinate with MOES at different levels and development agencies in gathering the relevant information and data
- To review the level of coordination of various actors in the education sector;
- To examine key challenges within the education sector to help determine priority actions to support the achievement of the objectives of the Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP);
- To compile review report and present it in the JRES meeting.
- To compile Aide Memoire of the JRES review process and key action points agreed
- Methodology and scope of the work
- Desk Review
The consultant will undertake a technical and financial review of the 2018 and 2019 annual plan against the 2017 – 2021 ESSP through conducting extensive review of the available policy and strategy documents, secondary data available such as annual reports, monitoring and supervision reports, review and evaluation reports, ESA Report, latest EMIS Data etc. that available with the MoES and development partners.
- Consultative Meetings
The consultant is expected to conduct wider consultation with relevant education stakeholders in Somaliland. These include the senior management and field experts of the MOES at different levels (Central, Regional, District, School) and education development partners to get wider insight and perspectives of the education sector including achievements and challenges.
- Field Visits
The consultant will carry out sample field visits to education institutions in rural and urban settings, including to Regional and District Education Offices in a randomly selected Regions in order to get a clearer picture of the situation on the ground through discussion with all education stakeholders. Based on these field visits, the consultant will prepare a field-visit report and key findings that will be part of the JRES Meeting Presentation and final aid memoire.
- Synthesis Report
The consultant will compile and produce a synthesis report from the key findings of the desk review, consultation meetings and field visits against the achievement of the 2018 and 2019 plan within the ESSP and prepare power point presentation for the meeting. The synthesis report will include data analysis, graphs and charts, as well as a narrative portion. The synthesis report will be circulated a few days prior to the JRES and provide the basis for discussions during the JRES Meeting.
- Development of Education Action Plan for 2018 based on the new ESSP (2017 – 2021) The consultant will assist the MOES with other stakeholders, to develop the Education Action Plan for 2020 ensuring that the activities proposed in the plan will incorporate priorities and key strategies including costing financial plan as well as a monitoring and evaluation framework for the Action Plan.
- Aide Memoire
The consultant will provide a final report of the Joint Review of the Education Sector, on issues discussed and raised, key findings and recommendations including the field visit and synthesis report.
- Work plan and Time schedule
The consultancy tentative timetable is given below which could be reviewed based on consultation:
|№||Deliverables||No. of Days|
|3||Consultation Meetings & Field Visits||8|
|5||Joint Sector Review Workshop||2|
|7||Annual Education Action Plan 2020||4|
|8||Final JRES Report||5|
|Total No. of Days||30|
The Consultant shall be based in Hargeisa, Somaliland, for most of the Contract period.
- Qualification and experience requirement
- Advanced degree in education or related social sciences
- At least seven years of relevant experience mostly in supporting education sector and experience in education sector planning, review and evaluation is highly preferred asset;
- Have hands-on experience with designing, implementing and monitoring Sector-Wide Approaches in Education
- Strong background in data analysis, planning and policy development at the national level;
- Excellent command of the English language with demonstrated analytical and report writing skills, presentation and facilitation skills;
- Ability to work in difficult environments; previous experience of working in fragile contexts or transition countries is an asset;
- Specific knowledge of the education sector in Somaliland
- Availability and commitment to complete the assignment within strict deadlines;
- Computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft Office;
- Ability to speak and write the Somali language is highly preferable
The assignment is expected to start 17th October 2018
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
880 total views, 1 today