IYCF COUNSELLORS – LASANOD & ERIGAVO (2 Positions)
- Job category: COUNSELLOR AFFAIRS
- Post date:13 Sep 2020
- Job expires in: 3 days
- Share job:
IYCF COUNSELLORS – LASANOD & ERIGAVO (2 Positions)
Job Title: IYCF COUNSELLORS (2 Positions)
Department: Emergency Program
Location: Erigavo & Lasanod
Reporting: Senior IYCF officer and Senior Health and Nutrition Officer
Contract Type: Fixed Term
CARE is an International NGO working in Somalia. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty by empowering women, enhancing access to resources and services, and improving governance. CARE is looking for suitable candidates to fill the positions of IYCF Counsellors based in Erigavo and Lasanod, Somaliland with frequent travels and support to project sites. Therefore, we invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position.
Applications close on 27th September 2020 at 11:59Pm
Under the supervision of the Senior IYCF officer and Senior Health and Nutrition Officer– The IYCF counsellors will be expected to have demonstrated experience and knowledge in emergency nutrition response and humanitarian assistance agenda in Somaliland. S/he will be required to extensively travel and support nutrition activities in Erigavo and Lascanod districts as well as support other nutrition programs ongoing in Sool and Sanaag Regions.
Responsibility 1: Implementation of IYCF activities in SOOL and SANAAG regions
- Assess mothers and their children to identify specific feeding support needs (through Simple Rapid Assessment and Full Assessment of mother-baby pair)
- Assess the knowledge of the beneficiaries before and after counselling sessions
- Provide one-on-one breastfeeding counseling for mothers experiencing difficulties breastfeeding including supporting re-lactation
- Provide tailored one-on-one counseling sessions to mothers, in line with needs discovered in initial assessments, offering practical advice and education on key IYCF issues
- Ensure all mothers/caregivers are aware of the importance of exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months
- Provide mothers with practical advice on correct attachment and positioning when breastfeeding and respond to any concerns or local taboos associated with breastfeeding
- Counsel mothers on the appropriate time to introduce complementary feeding, and the benefits of continued breastfeeding and respond to any concerns or local taboos associated with complementary feeding
- Educate the mothers on the quality, quantity and frequency of complementary feeds to promote adequate weight gain
- Arrange food demonstration sessions (on complementary feeding) for the beneficiaries in collaboration with outreach workers, women support groups, and other key members of the community
- Discourage and educate mothers on the dangers of feeding bottles
- Provide appropriate counseling and ensure support is provided to caregivers of targeted infants who have no possibility to be breastfed
- Provide training, demonstration, on-going guidance to mother to mother support group volunteers
- Provide appropriate counseling for pregnant and lactating women, complementary feeding and maternal and child nutrition – to be tailored to the specific need
- Provide pregnant women with preparatory counseling for breastfeeding and colostrum feeding, to prevent pre-lacteal feeds and bottle feeding
- Counsel the mothers on correct maternal nutrition during pregnancy and lactation
- Deliver messages on IYCF practices and maternal nutrition to the targeted community/communities through group education sessions
- Lead the mother support group at the community level and ensure reports are shared timely with the IYCF officer
- Contribute to the development of contextually appropriate IEC materials for local IYCF assessments
- Utilize education materials on breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices, relaying accurate, practical, and specific advice for the mother’s needs
Responsibility 2: Reporting and Advocacy:
- Maintain records of mothers and caregivers receiving individual and group counselling sessions,
- Record number of mothers receiving rapid assessment and the improvement in their feeding practices
- Submit monthly reporting of activities to the Senior IYCF officer and Senior Health and Nutrition Officer.
- Take part in nutrition KAP assessments and provide well written focus group discussion reports.
- Record and report any donations or untargeted distributions of infant formula, bottles and teats and other violations of the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes
- Play an active role in advocacy to promote proper IYCF-E Practices, antenatal and post-natal checkups, importance of institutional deliveries, vaccination and growth monitoring at the community level
- Represent CARE at the humanitarian coordination forums in Somaliland when delegated.
Responsibility 3: Referral and Coordination:
- Refer children for intensive nutritional/medical care as required;
- Ensure caregivers are aware of available services and advocate prioritization for caregivers, where necessary, in appropriate services and support
- Refer all pregnant women to the next antenatal care services if not already informed
- Identify/develop appropriate Information Education Communication (IEC) materials and flash cards in the local language, and ensure that the materials are used during counseling and are freely available at all centers and mother to mother support groups
- Participate in other IYCF-E program duties as requested
- Ensure a comfortable, calm, environment for counseling sessions and maintain good relationships with the beneficiaries
- Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
This type of position requires a female candidate
- Midwife, nurse, nutritionist, auxiliary midwife, lactation/breastfeeding qualification.
- Knowledge of optimal IYCF practices, able to support breastfeeding mothers, and a willingness to learn
- Able to support caregivers.
- Proven capacity of leadership and teamwork
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathize with all beneficiaries and their cares
- Capacity to keep accurate records of activities and report in a timely manner
- Demonstrable ability at report writing
- Ability to make a work plan and direct work independently
- Ability to identify problems immediately and initiate improvements if needed with senior management
- Highly organized and has excellent communications
- Good computing skills in Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint & Excel required.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Able to integrate into a multi-cultural team and cooperate with co-workers
- Has worked in Somaliland before in similar role
- Experience working in humanitarian emergency settings
- Knowledge of the operational area
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in a one PDF document to SOM.SomalilandRecruitment@care.org latest by 27 September 2020. Candidates are required to quote the position title “IYCF Counsellors – Erigavo” OR “IYCF Counsellors – Lasanod” on the subject line of the email when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
“CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitations”
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
3412 total views, 26 today