Lead Construction Management Engineer – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Engineering/Construction Work
- Post date:3 Apr 2021
- Job expires in: 4 hours
- Share job:
Lead Construction Management Engineer
Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. It is led by the Director, who has overall authority and accountability for the performance PSC on behalf of its clients. The Director is responsible for administering and providing oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations.
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
*Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Under the general supervision of the Head of Office (HoO) and direct supervision of the Head of Support Services (HoSS) provide construction supervision and field coordination, ensuring high quality and consistency of work, for UNMAS Construction projects in Somalia.
The Lead Construction Management Engineer will liaise closely within the HoO providing direct operational, construction tasking, and coordination support to all projects as designated by the project manager.
a. Specific Outputs will be as follows:
- Provide technical assistance to HoSS to monitor UNOPS implementation plan including quality, Health, Safety, Social and EnvironmentProvide technical leadership, oversight, advice and guidance on all infrastructure projects and work undertaken through the project.
- Supervise contractors to manage plan and coordinate daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly activities including monitoring site safety and construction quality.
- Administer Infrastructure contracts and supervise project activities to ensure work complies with design and specifications.
- Participates in field assessments as needed and when required; mission reports, technical recommendations, guidance and construction for cost effective works.
- Participate in the preparation of bid documents to contract rms responsible for providing; technical services (, design services, technical supervision of works, construction etc.).
- Prepare the Scope of Work, Bill of Quantity and drawings for procurement purposes.
- Participate in the evaluation of works procurement processes; Ensure that Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are followed at all stage of the projects.
- Monitor quality of final product and workmanship throughout implementation and cross evaluate with indicators as per project plan.
- Establish efficient procedures for reporting progress and problems in a timely manner, undertake project performance monitoring and evaluation.
- Maintain organized files (Electronic and hard copy) containing all pertinent construction administration and supervision documentation.
b. Other duties will include:
- Facilitate and participate in project and other operational tasking as required.
- Travel throughout the region as required upon missions / activities and provide assistance where necessary.
- Use initiative and experience to facilitate all operations.
- Compile, draft and distribute regular progress reports for the Program Manager.
- Perform other relevant duties as required by the HoSS.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare monthly progress reports: progress of works based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, solutions, planning of activities for the following month, etc.
- Consolidated quarterly progress reports
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; OR
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in construction coordination, planning and managing works in design and construction, engineering, coordinating infrastructure projects or related field.
- Experience in administration of Infrastructure contracts is desirable;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation is desired;
- Experience in report writing is required.
Fluency in English (spoken, written and reading) is required
Contract type: International Individual Contractor AgreementContract level: IICA-2(ICS-10)
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1611 total views, 4 today