Livelihoods and Food Security Officer (National Position)
- Job category: Livelihood
- Post date:6 Aug 2019
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
Livelihoods and Food Security Officer (National Position)
NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council)
Category: Veterinary Services
Location: Jigjgia with travel to the fields, Somali
Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
Employment Type: Full time
Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia Livelihoods and Food Security officer is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the core competency and related project activities. Use actions words such as ensure, implement or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
The LFS project Officer will work all LFS Activities related Livestock and Feed, under the guidance and supervision of the LFS Coordinator support the implementation of project activities and other delegated responsibilities through three core functions:
a. Design, develop and implement innovative business idea of livestock health and feed management
b. Lead implementation of Livestock interventions and other activities assigned at the NRC Jigjiga area office through field level and at regional office.
c. Contribute to and form part of the LFS emergency response mechanism during times of emergency and displacement.
Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
· Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
· Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
· Ensure proper filing of documents
Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
· Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
· Under the supervision of the LFS coordinator, responsible for Livelihoods and Food security program interventions of NRC in Jigjiga, Somali region area;
· Provide technical advice, backstopping and training on CAHWs/ income generating activities, and other livelihoods related fields;
Facilitate the planning and convening of training sessions in all other aspects of the projects (CAHWs)
Participate and lead livestock vaccination and treatments campaign and give direct technical support to team.
Participate and lead concentrate feed distribution and provide direct technical support
Liaise with the Somali region woreda level offices and other partners implementing related projects at the field level to ensure cohesion, synergy and complementarity of the activities of the Project with other interventions.
· Ensure that NRC’s objectives are disseminated and raise awareness of NRCs approach ensuring all implementation follows NRC policies and procedures;
· Facilitate communities, community based organizations and community leaders in identifying project beneficiary target groups for NRC Livelihood and Food Security activities;
· Help empower project beneficiaries (IDPs, refugees and local communities) to attain self-reliance and be able to sustain Livelihood and Food Security Projects;
· Ensure equal participation by all segments of the beneficiary groups (IDPs, refugees and local communities), taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age, disability and clan affiliation;
· Regularly monitor and evaluate Livelihoods and Food Security Projects performance and provide timely inputs, feedback and impact of the NRC Livelihood and Food Security interventions;
· Play an important role in realization of project outputs and outcomes through timely implementation of activities in a well-planned, organized and coordinated manner;
· Ensure NRC Tvets graduates are self-employed in different IGA activities including provision of start-up kits, start-up grants, credit through banks and micro finance, market linkage, employment creation opportunities;
· In consultation and under direct supervision of Livelihoods and food Security Coordinator develop and implement surveys and needs assessment in Erer, Siti. Jigjiga, Diredawa, IDP camps, refugee camps and other places in Somali Region.
Follow all the LFS documentation are properly filled in hard cop and office 365.
Education and professional competencies:
· University degree preferably in Doctor of Veterinary Medicine/ Veterinary science/ Animal science
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Livestock and feed management
· INGO/ Government experience is advantageous
Experience from working as a Project Officer/ assistant/ expert in a humanitarian/recovery context
Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Understanding of the context of Somali region
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Fluency in Somali language is advantageous
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
· Knowledge of the context in which the organization operates
· Knowledge of the local language (Somali) – as an advantage
Experience with implementation of project start-up and exit strategy
· Handling insecure environment
· Planning and delivering results
· Empowering and building trust
· Communicating with impact and respect
How to Apply
All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send in their application letters including updated curriculum vitae with three work-related referees through www.ethiojobs.net OR www.webcruiter.no Applications should reach NRC latest by August 19, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
“Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply and on the job training will be provided!”
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
4963 total views, 2 today