Local Governance Advisor – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Governance Affairs
- Post date:28 Jun 2020
- Share job:
Federal Republic of Somalia
Benadir Regional Administration Mogadishu Local Government
JAMHUURIYADDA FEDERAALKA SOOMAALIYA
MAAMULKA GOBOLKA BANAADIR
DAWLADDA HOOSE EE MUQDISHO
TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
|Title of the position:||Local Governance Advisor|
|Type of Contract:||Individual Contract|
|Duration of the assignment:||6 months|
|Supervisor:||Mayor of Mogadishu|
The Municipality of Mogadishu (MoM), Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) is the governing authority of the Somalia capital Mogadishu. It has the mandate of social service provision mainly in primary education, health, clean drinking water, affordable energy, sanitation and environmental protection. MoM is also responsible for transport infrastructure rebuilding including roads and bridges for better transportation and boosting economic growth. Mogadishu Municipality collects revenues through taxation in all the seventeen districts in Mogadishu and invests in development projects.
The Municipality has a 5-year Strategic Development Plan that guides its developmental milestones that aim at establishing systems and structures for local governance and strengthening the capacity of the city and districts with a view to promoting democratic and accountable government that provides better basic services for stability and enhanced peace.
The Municipality has also invested in a Local Government Institute (LGI) that is providing harmonized curriculum training to civil servants to ensure common approaches to capacity development, learning and on the job training.
To effectively deliver on its mandate, the Municipality intends to hire a Local Governance Expert to offer strategic advice on the operations of the LGI and of the municipality that will facilitate city development and governance.
This position is for a limited period of 6 months and will be reviewed towards the end on 2020.
Objectives of the assignment
The overall objective is to provide technical support to the MoM to contribute to the enhancement of the Local Government capacity and performance. He/she shall also support the newly established Mogadishu Local Government Institute in implementing a system of coordinated capacity development for local government employees in the MoM.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Develop the Mogadishu Local Government Institute 5-year Strategic Plan and lead/facilitate all consultations to accomplish the plan
- Support Mogadishu Local Government Institute and provide advice related to the institute’s development and enhancing its work
- Support in reviewing the Local Governments Institute curriculum to ensure relevancy
- Provide advice towards training facilities and quality control of Mogadishu Local Government Institute
- Assist Mogadishu LGI in planning, organizing and delivering capacity building trainings for BRA employees at both headquarter and district levels
- Advise and assist the MoM in conducting decentralization policy forums and platforms
- Help the MoM in strengthening the capacity of departments and district administrations in planning processes, resources mobilization, quality service delivery, transparency and accountability at all levels
- Provide strategic and policy advice to Mogadishu Local Government to deliver various quality services for the citizens
- Assist the MoM’s JPLG office in the day-to-day operations such as reviewing guidelines and frameworks.
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing in all areas of local governance, development planning and implementation.
Monitoring and Reporting
The consultant will develop monthly work plans to be approved by the Mayor of Mogadishu and the UNDP-JPLG Project Manager. The Consultant will provide monthly progress reports for clearance by the Mayor of Mogadishu and the UNDP Project Manager before payment is made.
Qualification and application process
Level of Education
Master’s degree in Social Science, Public Administration, Political Science or any other related and relevant field as well as qualification in training methodologies. Additional qualifications in project management and working with joint programmes are an added advantage.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ work experience in local authorities or central government institutions responsible for local government, including capacity building; 5 years’ experience of which should have been in Somalia.
- Comprehensive understanding of local governance
- At least 5 years’ experience in training and capacity building for local authorities
- An understanding of Somalia’s local government system.
- Experience in promoting capacity building and local governance in multi-cultural environments, and in conflict environments
- Experience in management and working as an advisor
- Experience in representing government in multi-stakeholder forums
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for both English and Somali
General Skills / Other Requirements
- Excellent communication, presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities;
- Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently
- Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
- Ability to work under pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit your cover letter addressing methodology to be applied to carry out the work based on the ToR and your curriculum vitae to email@example.com copying
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com not later than 7th July 2020 at 5:00pm indicating “Local Governance Advisor” in the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply
The MoM will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Applications addressed to only one of the above email addresses will be disqualified.
Only email applications will be accepted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1990 total views, 1 today