Local Governance Gender Advisor -Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Gender Affairs
- Post date:31 May 2021
- Share job:
Federal Republic of Somalia
Benadir Regional Administration
Municipality of Mogadishu
|جـمـهـوريـة الصــومــال الفذرالية
|JAMHUURIYADDA FEDERALKA SOOMAALIYA
MAAMULKA GOBOLKA BANAADIR
DAWLADDA HOOSE EE MUQDISHO
|Position name: Local Governance Gender Advisor
Duration of the assignment:6 months
Duty station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Supervisor: BRA Secretary General
In support of efforts to promote women empowerment and gender equality, Benadir Regional Administration intends to recruit a Local Governance Gender Advisor to support BRA implement its local governments gender mainstreaming policy and play a leading role in coordinating and raising awareness on gender matters pertaining to women’s empowerment and representation at all levels of government.
The UN JPLG which is a five-year joint programme comprising of ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF with the overall goal of “creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks – building the knowledge of those working in and with local governments” will support BRA in recruiting the Local Governance Gender Advisor who will to be based in the Mayor’s office and will be supervised by the Secretary General, BRA. The position is for a limited period of six months.
The objective of the post is to provide advisory support to BRA’s Women Directorate, Office of the Secretary General, implementing partners and community elders to ensure women and young people’s inclusion in local governance administration and that BRA policies are gender sensitive.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary General, BRA and in close collaboration with UNDP- JPLG Project Manager and local team the consultant will:
· Review existing documentation (policies, regulations, guidelines, past reports / assessments) and previous work on gender mainstreaming at the BRA and attendant districts to identify gaps (structural, functional and training) and opportunities for improvement.
· Hold consultations (virtual and physical with situation permitting) with key stakeholders at the federal, state and district levels on the gender mainstreaming policy and action plan to ensure that the final document has Government ownership.
· Provide guidance to local governments and other relevant policy forums to ensure gender equality and women empowerment during the District Council Formation (DCF) and local government capacity building processes
· Support the implementation of the BRA gender mainstreaming policy through formulating guidelines that operationalise the policy.
· Coordinate with stakeholders including development partners on gender improvement initiatives
· Inception report that responds to the ToR and a review of relevant documentation including a workplan and methodology for the assignment, the documents reviewed and to be reviewed and an indicative list of key stakeholders to be consulted.
· Action plan for implementation of BRA’s gender mainstreaming policy ensuring inclusivity in both political and administrative processes
· Guidelines to be followed in implementation of BRA’s gender mainstreaming policy
· Training / capacity building of BRA Women and youth offices at both regional and district levels on BRA’s gender mainstreaming policy
· Training / capacity building of district administrations and BRA departments on gender responsive local governments and service delivery.
Advanced university degree in gender, development studies, social sciences, political science, development studies, public policy or related field
· At least five (5) years of relevant professional experience on social inclusion, political participation, gender policies, local governance and institutional management preferably in fragile/post conflict countries such as Somalia
· Experience in coordination and networking at a high level and the ability to interact with a range of actors
· Technical expertise in developing guidelines/ plans on gender mainstreaming, gender tool kits and budgeting.
· Proven record of analytical work on gender and capacity building
· Demonstrable experience on the theory and methodology of gender mainstreaming and inclusion of marginalized groups
· A clear understanding of public institutions/policy and their administrative structures
· Demonstrated ability to operate in a complex environment and ability to deliver through translating ideas and visions into practice.
· Demonstrable experience in presentation and writing good reports
· Willingness to travel to other locations in Somalia
· A solid understanding of gender issues in Somalia.
· Experience in dealing with partners at all levels including government officials, civil society organizations and other national counterparts.
· Competence in the use of software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office)
· Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
· Ability to work under tight deadlines.
· Ability to communicate and write effectively in both Somali and English are essential
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your cover letter detailing previous work done and curriculum vitae to the e-mail email@example.com and ensure you copy firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com indicating LG Gender Advisor in the subject line.
Application deadline: 10th June 2021 at 5pm (Somali time). Late applications will not be accepted.
BRA will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1534 total views, 1 today