Local Governance Gender Consultant – Hirshabelle State Somalia
- Job category: Governance Affairs
- Post date:2 Jun 2021
- Share job:
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT GENDEN CONSULTANT
|Title: Local Governance Gender Consultant
Duration of the assignment: 6 months
Supervisor: Director General of MOILG
The Ministry of Interior and Local Government (MOILG) of Hirshabelle State Somalia is responsible for the local government’s portfolio, including district council formation, establishing systems for local governance structures and strengthening their capacity with a view to promoting democratic and accountable local governments that provide better basic services for stability and enhanced peace. The MOILG is currently in the process of forming district councils in line with Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) Wadajir National Framework for Local Governance.
In support of efforts to promote women empowerment and gender equality, the MOILG wishes to recruit a Local Governance Gender Consultant to support MOILG in gender mainstreaming through advocacy and playing a leading role in coordination and awareness raising of gender issues especially those related to womens participation and representation in local governments.
The objective of the post is to provide support to the Local Governance Department, of theMOILG of Galmudug, implementing partners and the community elders on gender mainstreaming in support of district council formation, election processes and post council formation capacity building process
The UN JPLG which is a five-year joint programme comprising of ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF with the overall goal of “creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks – building the knowledge of those working in and with local governments” will support MOILG in recruiting the Local Governance Gender Consultant who will to be based in the Jowhar and will be supervised by the Director General, MOILG. The position is for a limited period of six months.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Director General of the MOILG and in close collaboration with UNDP- JPLG Project Manager and local team the consultant will:
· Assess and review the current capacity of the MOILG in addressing gender equality issues, and propose appropriate structural and functional improvements as well as training opportunities to strengthen gender mainstreaming at the Ministry level.
· Ensure an inclusive and consultative process with key stakeholders at the Federal, State and District levels in the development and implementation of the LG Gender Mainstreaming Improvement Plans to ensure that the final document has wide ownership.
· Provide extensive gender policy analysis, assistance, and guidance in particular to local governance and other relevant policy forums to ensure gender equality and women empowerment across District Council Formation (DCF) process and local government capacity building processes.
· Develop gender responsive workplace framework at the state level that builds on the existing gender improvement guideline and action plan.
· Develop a gender responsive friendship framework at the workplaces of State levels that the Gender Mainstreaming in equity and equality, particularly to implement and monitor the actions identify knowledge products, building on existing gender improvement guideline and its action plans.
· Support the implementation strategy of the LG Gender Mainstreaming Action Plan through integration of a gender approach in the proceduresand practices of MOILG, Local Councilsand partner agencies.
· Guide consultations and discussions of gender inclusivity while developing all life walks towards LG and other relevant plans.
· Coordinate with all relevant stakeholders at Federal, State and District levels as well as NGOs and international stakeholders on best practices and standards in gender mainstreaming.
· Knowledge and experience sharing with local governments and MOILG on gender mainstreaming and opportunities to empower women in the MOILG, local governments and in DCF.
· Collaborate with MOILG departments staff to develop gender mainstreaming and empowerment goals and activities towards women in the district councils.
· Facilitate presentations and coordination of stakeholder workshops/consultations organized as per the agreed work schedule.
· Enhance institutional accountability at all levels to implement the gender mainstreaming strategy for sustainable impact in district departments and district councils.
· Assisting the MOILG in implementing the gender action plan including compliance monitoring; and preparing all social and gender related reports and other technical report sas necessary
· Inception report that responds to the ToR and a review of relevant documentation including a workplan and methodology for the assignment, the documents reviewed and to be reviewed and an indicative list of key stakeholders to be consulted.
· Preparation of gender action plans to operationalise the improvement plan
· Implementation strategy of the the Gender Mainstreaming and Inclusivity Policy (building on the existing gender improvement plan) with the necessary steps and procedures required
· Translation of the documents
· Demonstrate experience and skills in facilitation/consultation and coordination skills among relevant stakeholders working with the District Councils Formations.
Advanced university degree in gender, development studies, social sciences, political science, development studies, public policy or related field
· At least seven (7) years of relevant professional experience on social inclusion, political participation, and gender policy issues
· At least 5 years of relevant experience in local governance and institutional management preferably in fragile/post conflict countries such as Somalia.
· Experience in coordination and networking at a high level and the ability to interact with a range of actors
· Technical expertise in developing guidelines/ plans on gender mainstreaming, gender tool kits and budgeting.
· Proven record of analytical work on gender and capacity building
· Demonstrable experience on the theory and methodology of gender mainstreaming and inclusion of marginalized groups
· A clear understanding of public institutions/policy and their administrative structures
· Demonstrated ability to operate in a complex environment and to be able to deliver through translating ideas and visions into practice.
· Willingness to consult other stakeholders specifically MOILG, Ministry of Women, UNDP and other gender stakeholders / players in Galmudug
· Excellent report writing, drafting and presentation skills, and ability to collate information cogently and concisely.
· A solid understanding of gender issues in Local Governments of Somalia.
· Experience in dealing with partners at all levels including government officials, civil society organizations and other national and international counterparts.
· Competence in the use of standard software application (e.g. Microsoft Office);
· Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
· Ability to work under tight deadlines.
· Ability to communicate and write effectively in both Somali and English are essential·
HOW TO APPLY:
The MOILG will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Only e-mail applications will be accepted
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1115 total views, 1 today