|The UN Joint Program on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery Projects (JPLG/), Phase III is a 5-year program implemented by ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF. The Program is aligned with the National Development Plan II and supports the establishment and transformation of local government through capacitated institutions, legal frameworks, policies and practices that are accountable, inclusive, and gender-equal and that support the effective delivery of services which contribute to improving local service delivery and responsive governance.
JPLG will focus on creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks. It will also support enhanced local government capacities and promote more inclusive local governance, with greater attention given to women, youth and minority groups. Specific program outcomes are as follows:
Ø Outcome 1: Policy, legal and regulatory frameworks on local governance finalized.
Ø Outcome 2: Local governments have the capacity to deliver equitable and sustainable services, promote economic development and peace.
Ø Outcome 3: Local governments demonstrate improved engagement of citizens, with an emphasis on women and marginalized groups.
Throughout the Programme, strong emphasis will be placed on gender and women in local government, human rights and local governance, and good governance principles of transparency, accountability, and participation.
In this context, the Ministry of Interior and Local Government, with support from JPLG/UNCDF wishes to recruit a Consultant Technical Advisor, Local Development Fund and RMAP. Under the direct supervision of the Director General and Director of Local Governments of the Ministry of Interior, the consultant will provide relevant technical and logistical support to the Ministry of Interior, to accomplish the following tasks:
- Take on responsibility for LDF administration including reviewing revenue mobilization work plans and accountabilities, ensuring districts contribute to the revenue pay-ins to the LDF/ in time, produce timely progress reports, and value for money audits.
- Lead the process of assessment for LDF by the districts, including carrying out of the Minimal Conditions and Performance Assessment.
- Support fiscal decentralization reforms and local revenue mobilization initiatives and facilitate central government transfers/allocations to the local governments.
- Coordinate the provision of hands-on support to LDF districts, and the monitoring and provision of support to the district councils.
|The consultant will provide technical and capacity building support for the implementation of local government-led service delivery for Joint Program on Local Governance Projects (JPLG). The consultant will support MOI and target districts in rolling out decentralized services that are in line with the Galmudug Decentralization Policy and the Local Development Fund/JPLG requirements. S/he will lead in the LDF grants cycle, including the planning, compliances implementation, monitoring, reporting and follow-up. S/he will also lead in the identification of Revenue Mobilization Action Plans (RMAP) and revenue generation activities at district level.
The assignment will entail frequent travel to the target districts and close coordination with other relevant ministries including the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Public Works, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and ministry of water and energy, as well as UNCDF and other UN JPLG Partners.
|The consultant will:
- Assume responsibility for the overall planning, budgeting, implementation, and evaluation of Local Development Funds across all the JPLG target districts.
- Ensure effective use and absorption of allocated grant funds by the districts.
- Provide support to maintenance of the online LDF tracking database
- Assume responsibility for the compliance to the JPLG/LDF by the districts in terms of: payment requesting, work plans and transparency in budgeting.
- Support Local Development Fund (LDF) administration, including the reviewing of work plans, progress reporting, and ensuring timely funds receipt and payments by districts.
- Coordinate the provision of hands-on support to LDF districts, support districts to meet Minimum Conditions/Performance Measurement, and monitoring of the physical implementation of projects.
- Assume responsibility for cooperation and coordination in target districts of the planning and implementation of activities with local development initiatives, central government ministries, and other UN agencies.
- Provide quality control to districts in identifying priority areas for intervention and mobilizing resources for local development and identify areas for improvement in the management and use of the budget.
- Liaise and cooperate with both the UNCDF field office in Mogadishu and Nairobi to help increase the projects’ visibility and facilitate the scaling-up of the project’s interventions.
- Ensure effective coordination between LDF stakeholders at national, regional and local levels and facilitate knowledge building and sharing.
- Assist the MOI play its role in providing policy advice, strategic thinking and knowledge sharing, by helping to conduct policy briefings and participating in missions related to local governance and promoting the flow of information to relevant stakeholders.
- Support the districts and work with the service provider to prepare the relevant information for the Minimum Conditions and Performance Assessment.
- Assist the MOILG to design a backstopping and quality control plan to facilitate effective implementation of service delivery and capacity building initiatives at the local level.
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities, and documenting of experiences, lessons learned and emerging good practices.
- Support districts develop sound revenue mobilization proposals and actions plans and guide the ongoing RMAP initiatives together with UNCDF.
- Monitor the RMAP initiatives implementation status across the target districts and help them cope the emerging challenges.
- Other relevant duties as directed by supervisor.
| V. Deliverables.
- Monthly progress reports showing delivered assignments and planned activities.
- Quarterly narrative reporting to the standards approved by MOILG and UNCDF;
- Regular follow up of functions that help enable MOI to implement its LOA with UNCDF.
- Regular follow up of all tasks as required in the TOR above.
|1. Previous experience in finance and administration, local revenue raising, local investment.
2. Demonstrable experience in local development funding and grants management in Galmudug districts.
3. Proven experience in development of revenue mobilization action plans and proposals.
4. Demonstrable shared commitment to MOI’s mission, vision and values.
5. Ability to work under pressure; with excellent analytical and communication skills.
6. Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of financial regulations and grant procedures.
7. Focuses on obtaining results for the client and responds positively to all feedback.
8. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Recruitment Qualification.
University Degree in Social Science, Public Administration, Political Science or any other relevant field. Additional qualifications such as master’s degree in Development studies, Economics, Governance will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience at the national/Galmudug level is required.
- Proven experience in management of local investment management (including LDF), and revenue mobilization.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel).
- Self-driven and motivated, able to work under minimum guidance.
- Pays attention to detail and ensures transparency and accountability.
- Service minded and helpful, energetic, and positive, and takes pride in capacitating others.
- Application Instructions.
|Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send their applications (CV, Motivational letter, scan copy of credentials and three work related referees) to email@example.com and copy to Mohamed.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female qualified applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Deadline of the application is: 24 – July– 2021.
Note: “When applying this vacancy, please indicate clearly (MOI – Local Revenue Expert Consultant –Dusamareeb GSS) in the subject of the email.