MEAL Officer – Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Job category: Monitoring & Evaluation
- Post date:30 Jul 2020
- Job expires in: 5 days
- Share job:
|Job title||MEAL Officer|
|Number of positions/locations||1 (Hargeisa)|
|Duration||5 Month’s (with possibility of extension)|
|Reporting to||Program Manager|
Established in 2011, Shaqodoon Organization is a not-for-profit NGO that operates in multiple regions in in East Africa dedicated to advancing skills and talents of youth and social investments through its multifaceted programs that are designed to increase the number of young people engaged in productive work and entrepreneurship.
As evidenced through its most recent accomplishments, Shaqodoon Organization has provided leadership and resource for catalytic action to increase the number of young people engaged in productive work.
Shaqodoon Organization is focused on sharpen its focus on innovation, piloting and scaling innovative interventions on youth employment, especially those that better connect supply-side with demand-side interventions and working very closely with the private sector. Shaqodoon Organization also strives to promote its intermediary online crowdfunding platforms to bring actors together to create impact.
Shaqodoon is hiring a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer who will be responsible for the MEAL of the overall programs of Shaqodoon Organization.
PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties will include the following:
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) officer is responsible for all planning, monitoring, documentation, learning and research activities, both quantitative and qualitative, for assigned Somalia/Somaliland Area Office projects.
This position is crucial to the management and implementation of programs by providing a strong evidence base and continual learning to improve monitoring of programs, ensure that lessons learnt are built into improved program delivery and program design and to build the capacity of staff to strengthen their monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems and approaches.
The MEAL officer will be responsible for working closely with Shaqodoon MEAL Manager & programs staff, partner NGO staff and Shaqodoon field staff to develop and implement best-practice monitoring and evaluation tools and assessments. This will include training field staff on best practice approaches to data collection, including ensuring the confidentiality and rights of beneficiaries are respected. The MEAL officer will support the analysis of results and help develop products to disseminate the findings of surveys and assessments, including drafting assessment reports.
The MEAL officer will support program design by writing MEAL frameworks and MEAL plans, tracking progress against program-wide monitoring indicators and collecting and drafting information relevant to improving the evidence base for the design of programs.
The MEAL officer will also support the recruitment of specialist consultants to help establish MEAL systems (such as Database management systems).
- Ensure the project baseline is planned, coordinated and implemented within the first 3 months of the project start-up.
- For assigned projects, develop a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system (comprehensive log frame, M&E plan and indicator tracking table, data collection tools, information flow, reporting and review) consistent with the project framework, as appropriate, and in accordance with specific donor requirements.
- Work with partners to ensure quality programming and adherence to minimum standards including Shaqodoon standards, values and principles, and other sector standards and protocols as well as the mainstreaming of cross-cutting themes (Gender and Disability inclusion).
- Ensure that monitoring incorporates and consider aspects at output, process, context and outcome levels for assigned projects and that appropriate data collection and reporting tools are developed and used.
- Develop tools to gather relevant data according to donor and project log-frames. Train field staff on data collection.
- Synthesize and analyze M&E quantitative and qualitative data received on a monthly basis.
- Ensure effective monitoring through regular field visits (most likely remotely through Shaqodoon field team), conducting data verification, quality assessments and reporting the findings.
- Coordinate periodic review with partners to facilitate dialogue and intentional learning and reflection from assessments, program progress monitoring etc, to improve project implementation and project quality.
- Ensure a master beneficiary database is developed for the project and is updated regularly.
- Ensure a master indicator database is developed for the project and is updated regularly.
- Prepare and lead end of project evaluations as per donor requirements.
- Prepare monthly MEAL plans and corresponding reports covering work completed for the period under review and ensuring that key performance indicators are captured.
- Design, conduct and report on implementation & monitoring end to end verification surveys as required by projects.
- Ensure that projects’ MEAL systems and reporting clearly reflect Shaqodoon contributions to the youth, especially the most vulnerable.
- Support Project Managers in preparation of donor reporting by providing information coming from monitoring findings and data collected from field staff in a timely manner.
- Organize and facilitate trainings on MEAL functions for capacity development and awareness with field staff.
- Orient new staff to MEAL requirements of their projects and their role in ensuring an effective MEAL system for the project.
- Write program log-frames and MEAL sections to support the continual improvement of program design.
- Organize and lead learning and innovative opportunities aimed at improving project effectiveness
- Ensure that projects have a system to track information produced to help report to donors and the management.
- Determine research needs, develop ToRs, supervise consultants and research teams; undertaking capacity building activities for staff and other stakeholders with a view to improve monitoring and documentation of programs.
- Lead in developing a responsive, functional and appropriate feed backing mechanism which can improve current project implementation and guide future programming.
- Ensure the accuracy of all data presented in reports to stakeholders including to donors, local government units, partners, community beneficiaries, among others.
- Ensure that the highest ethical standards and confidentiality standards are applied in supporting accountability to affected populations.
- Undertake any other ad-hoc activities assigned by line manager.
Education: Bachelors in Social Sciences field
3 years’ field experience in Program Design and Development, Program Monitoring and Evaluation, and Capacity Building.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated ability in the use of quantitative and qualitative data collection and analytical techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through informal and formal training.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of quantitative and qualitative methods including questionnaire design, survey techniques and participatory approaches.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Somali.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, Power Point, database, spreadsheet and graphics presentations (including one or more of the following programs: Excel, Access SPSS, ODK & Kobo toolbox), and other internet applications.
- Previous experience with developing Data Base Management Systems tools
- Preferred working knowledge of advanced statistical packages (SPSS etc.)
- Preferred knowledge of Kobo toolbox database
- Understands the application of policy and the impact of decisions
- Fluency in speaking English and Somali is required
- Ability to write very good quality reports in English
- Advance working knowledge of statistical packages (Excel, etc.) is require
How to apply:
Relevant applicants should send their CVS with application latter to email@example.com
on or before 10th of August 2020. Please mention “MEAL Officer” on your email subject. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1483 total views, 10 today