Medical Director – Baidoa, Somalia
- Job category: Health/WASH
- Post date:19 Nov 2020
- Share job:
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 135 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Currently works in Banadir, southwest state and Hirshabelle State
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below position
Job Title: Re-advertisement Medical Director (1 Position)
This position will provide overall strategic, technical and management leadership to the Health and Nutrition section in SOS Somalia, ensuring that the highest standards of programme implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting are attained.
To significantly improve and be responsible for leading the effective implementation of quality health programming grounded in best practice in response to acute and longer-term health needs in the SOS Badioa District Hospital.
Direct Supervisor: Area Manager
Key Area of responsibility:
- Technical Responsibilities and Quality Assurance
- Provide technical and managerial support to all health team members in fulfilment of their duties according to Hospital’s objectives.
- Coordinate and functionally manage the planning and direction of SOS Hospital activities at project level.
- Co-ordinate all health activities within the hospital in close collaboration with medical doctors and the health staff; ensuring activities are consistent with established best practices.
- Ensure that the medical services provided at the hospital are of high quality, while overseeing the evaluation and management of clinical practices within the facility.
- Focus on improving preventative health care at facility and at the community level. Responsible for encouraging the community participation in health activities to ensure the long-term ownership and effectiveness of the programme
- Ensure health activities are implemented in accordance with SOS policy and inter/nationally recognized standards.
- Ensure achievement of project goal and objectives as they relate to health components of project in collaboration with all health staff.
- Ensure integration of the delivery of primary and secondary health services in project areas
- Be available, including after hours, to physically review patients, attend to emergencies and instruct nursing staff in writing on the required patient care.
- Conduct all elective and emergency surgical cases in theatre, both surgical and obstetric/gynaecological.
- Manage common and emergency surgical, obstetric/ gynaecological, paediatric and tropical medical conditions and make quick decions on critical cases for referral. And also, carry out daily ward rounds to review patient progress and care.
- Ensure that all health staff are briefed on project proposal content and are cognisant with goals, objectives and expected outputs.
- Ensure that the medical stocks are properly managed in collaboration with logistics staff and be responsible for the timely preparation and approval of all medical orders.
- Be responsible for quality assurance in regard to the provision of operational assistance services. This will include case review and analysis service recovery, assessment of statistics & trends, and a structured implementation of measures to further enhance quality delivery of services as a result.
- Ensure implementation of project health activities and design long-term strategies for the region, including changes of project direction or priorities in collaboration with Area Manager and Emergency Response Coordinator.
- Human Resource Management Support
- Support in the recruitment of medical staff and designation of responsibilities.
- Recommend upgrades, and implement disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Area manager and Human Resource Manager.
- Maintain open lines of communications with all SOS staff.
- Support direct supervisors in ensuring staff performance evaluations and professional development plans.
- Line manage health staff effectively, using appropriate management techniques; e.g. delegation and follow-up.
- Capacity Building and Technical Development
- Develop and maintain curriculum of in-service clinical education for the medical staff.
- Identify training needs and oversee and participate in the training of the health and non-health personnel.
- Assist in the selection and training of qualified program health staff, ensure a platform consisting of Doctors in charge, Midwives, Nurses and the hospital staff receive appropriate training and development.
- Coordinate and represent SOS Somalia at relevnet coordination meetings to avoid project activities overlap whilst sufficiently addressing the full needs of the mothers and children.
- Strengthening of linkages and coordination mechanisms between communities, health facilities, and relevant government sector offices.
- Chair Medical staff meetings on regular basis and any other essential meeting
- Paticipate planning meetings for the hospital and its programs to strategically design essential activities that address mothers and children health needs.
- Reporting & Communication
- Ensure accurate data collection and disease surveillance from project areas and analysis of data and compile epidemiological reports for inclusion in project situation reports and Donor reports.
- Ensure that the Hospital’s health departments receive regular activity and epidemiological reports.
- Consolidate and submit high quality monthly, quarterly and annual internal and external reports on time.
- Analyse hospital statistics and prepare timely and accurate monthly health activity reports for inclusion in the monthly situation report submitted to the Area manager or relevant program unit.
- Prepare the project health protocols and data collection forms in collaboration with WHO health representatives and ensure the team is fully conversant with and trained in the same.
- Ensure program progress through communication with Area manager, Emergency Repose Coordinator, alongside the programs staff to ensure coordination of programs supplies are consistent with management of budgets, including fund request, budget forecasting and development of spending plans.
- Review and Lead in mortality audits to improve quality of care for patients.
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Devise and maintain results-based systems for monitoring and evaluating program results, to better demonstrate the health programme outcomes and impacts.
- Monitor and evaluate health activities in Hospital in collaboration with Emergency Response Coordinator and other medical staff and adapt interventions as necessary in line with Somalia Treatment Guideline.
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning department led by (MEAL) Coordinator to roll out the new data management systems to ensure effective project implementation and make the necessary recommendations for improved service provision
Qualification & Experience
- Qualified Medical Doctor with CEMOC surgical skills, Degree in Medicine and Surgery.
- Minimum experience of 5-7 years desirably in tropical medicine, obstetrics, paediatrics, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS, general practice, general medicine, trauma and/or mnor surgery.
- Preferably work experience in emergency and Desirably master in public health.
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understands his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe.
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email email@example.com indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 30th November,2020
Competent Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2106 total views, 1 today