NEXUS Consortium Director – Somalia/Somaliland
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:13 Feb 2021
- Share job:
NEXUS Consortium Director
NEXUS (https://nexusom.org/) is a platform for civil society leadership to advance a new community-driven model of partnership promoting peaceful, thriving, and empowered communities in Somalia and Somaliland. This unique platform, led by nine pioneering Somali NGOs, aspires to lead a locally driven agenda for change, finding common cause and syncing interventions with government authorities, private sector, and the international community.
Reports to: Chairperson, Nexus Consortium Steering Committee.
Duty Station: 100% Somalia/Somaliland
The Consortium Director is the leader of the consortium and heads the secretariat that is made up of a diverse team of high-performing sector leaders. S/he strategically steers the consortium and drives its vision. S/he is the Chief Mobilizer that leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and charity sectors to realize the vision of the NEXUS Consortium. S/he possesses a high level of broad leadership and management skills and is effective at generating resources, strengthening the brand and the reputation of the consortium.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Organizational Leadership, Management and Development
- Work collaboratively with the Steering Committee in formulating and implementing the strategic direction and goals of the Consortium.
- Develop and implement necessary policies, procedures and strategic plans for the Consortium.
- Maintain ethical standards and accountability, manage risk, perform due diligence, and \ implement operational best practices.
- Coordinate and manage all Consortium’s administrative tasks and systems.
- Manage donor compliance and reporting requirements.
- Engage with the Consortium members on a regular basis for updates.
- Contract and manage professional partnerships and other services as necessary to support the work of the consortium.
- Maintain accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the Consortium, manage spending, monitor budget compliance, develop annual operational consortium budget for Steering Committee’s approval and mitigate financial risks.
- Provide the leadership, communication, management skills and effective internal and external relations.
- Develop and foster a strong and open dialogue with the NEXUS Steering Committee and members.
Program and Staff Management
- Accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results
- Lead in the planning, organizing, and implementation of projects, programs, and events of the Consortium.
- Provide day-to-day oversight and guidance to the secretariat staff.
- Motivate and develop the professional management team; direct hiring, retention, evaluation and management of competent and qualified secretariat staff.
- Directly supervises Senior Leadership positions and establishes individual goals.
- Develop diverse funding streams and longterm plans to best support the mission and goals of the Consortium.
- Oversee fundraising efforts including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship and grants development
- Develop high quality and technical funding proposals and businesses cases.
- Develop collaborative projects/partnerships with other stakeholders including government ministries, private corporate companies, community associations, academia, other consortia, development partners etc
Representation, Advocacy and Representation
- Act as a liaison and ambassador, maintain and create new relationships on behalf of the Consortium.
- Create and implement a branding and communication plan to include strategies that will increase visibility and fundraising activities for the Consortium.
- Serve as primary spokesperson and representative of the consortium in both internal and external fora.
- Coordinate NEXUS Consortium’s Advocacy and Communication Initiatives.
- Provide the NEXUS Consortium Steering Committee and members with strategic analysis on humanitarian and development trends, understanding conflict dynamics and geopolitical factors that can impact the Consortium’s work.
- Identify Advocacy and Communications opportunities (in country and abroad).
- Lead in the development of evidence-based position papers and policy briefs as and when required.
- Supervise the dissemination of communication products and media outreach when appropriate and identify niche opportunities for specific target audiences.
- Regularly update and identify potential risks associated with NEXUS Consortium’s Communication Strategy and advocacy positioning on different areas of work..
Required Qualifications and Personal Skills
- Master’s degree in Strategic Management, BMA, International Development or any relevant social science field.
- At least 15 years’ minimum relevant experience in strategic leadership within humanitarian and non-governmental consortia/associations/councils and international organizations.
- At least 10 years working experience in Somalia
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with large and diverse donor agencies including but not limited to USAID, DFID, EU, ECHO, BMZ, NORAD, SIDA, World Bank etc
- Demonstrated success in grant seeking, technical proposal writing and organizing fundraising events.
- Demonstrated management experience, including large staff supervision, team development and financial management/reporting.
- Proven capacity to work with senior level government, private and public sector officials.
- Excellent interpersonal, written communication and verbal presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently, proactively, and collaborative within a consortium with large and diverse members and staff.
- Good organizational abilities, effective in time management, handle high stress situations and ability to work independently.
- Leadership skills and ability to develop program vision.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, QuickBooks, and internet communications.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
- S/he has unquestioned integrity, strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done, a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives
- Ingenuity, dedication, enthusiasm and energy are also key attributes
- Fluency in oral and written Somali (both maay & maxatiri dialects) is a MUST
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications comprising of a cover letter an updated CV with a comprehensive summary of similar or comparable work. The CV should include three (3) referees.
We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Early application is encouraged as this position is urgently required. This is a rolling recruitment and Nexus reserves the right to appoint a suitable candidate as soon as they are identified.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1106 total views, 9 today