Operations Assistant – Team Leader – Dollo Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
- Job category: Operation Affairs
- Post date:17 Jul 2021
- Job expires in: 1 day
- Share job:
|Position Title||Operations Assistant – Team Leader|
|Duty Station||Dollo, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Operation Manager and the direct supervision of Senior Operation Assistant – Field Support in Dollo Ado, the Operations Assistant – Field support is responsible for undertaking Field support activities, with the following duties and responsibilities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Undertake field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or Sub-Office, or in relation to transportation. As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities.
- In coordination with Senior Operation Assistant – Field Support in Dollo Ado or National Field Operations Officer, lead Field Support Teams as they perform airport services, as well as perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
- Lead Field Support Teams as they assist individuals at transit center or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
- Assist in the coordination of timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations. Work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
- Work with units and departments and beneficiaries on pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Assist with daily discussions with beneficiaries on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Keep all posters and informational messages up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
- Provide assistance at hotel, transit Center and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
- Lead the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit center and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
- Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit center, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Senior Operation Assistant – Field support and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
- Alert Senior Operation Assistant – Field support or National Operation Officer or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Undertake in country and out of country TDY’s including operational escort.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by supervisor/s.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Five years experiences with university Degree in Business Management, Business administration, Social Sciences, or related field of study.
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage.
- Experience on Hospitality, hotel and transportation service is a strong advantage.
- Refugee programs especially on IOM resettlement and movement management in Ethiopia
- Knowledge of US, Australian, Canadian and European IOM resettlement procedures is an advantage.
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience a strong advantage; and,
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet; past experience with Movement Operations-related databases and systems is a strong advantage.
- Accuracy in handling and reporting data, with attention to processes and detail.
- Mature individual and able to work on overtime, when requested and independently.
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations, is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English.
- Local language of beneficiaries is desirable.
Values and Competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT by July 30, 2021, the latest, referring the position title, Vacancy number and the duty station you are interested in the subject line of your email. (Example: Application for operation Assistant- Team Leader (IOM-SVN/0094/2021) based inDollo) no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1078 total views, 3 today