Operations Director – Mogadishu, Banaadir, Somalia
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:8 Apr 2021
- Job expires in: 5 days
- Share job:
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Somalia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $110 million in programs, and approximately 1,700 staff based in the various country offices and New York City, Washington D.C and Horn and East Africa Regional Office in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of Position
As member of the Senior Management Team, the Operations Director will be based in Mogadishu with frequent travels to the field locations. The Operations Director shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Program. The Operations Director will oversee operations including administration, logistics, procurement, budgeting, financial, and security policies and procedures.
The Operations Director will provide leadership and management of all the operations and systems within the Country Program, including finance, logistics, procurement, safety & security management to ensure quality support to program delivery in line with Action Against Hunger Somalia Country Strategy, internal policies, good practice and donor guidelines. She/he will manage compliance in Operations department and follow up on the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations. The Operations Director liaises with the Field Coordinators and Heads of Support department to ensure all program interventions are implemented at base level, including the management of all Field offices.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Responsible for overall coordination of Program Operations and delegated responsibility for field delivery of high quality programming in line with the objectives of the country strategy.
- In close coordination with the Program Director & Technical Leads and Heads of Finance and HR, participate in program proposal process and ensure that all programs progress in accordance with grant agreements.
- Working with Program Director, participate in conceptualizing and designing cost effective, innovative and high-quality programs to serve hard to reach children and vulnerable people.
- Ensure all programs and projects in the CO are delivered on budget, on time, and with compliance.
- Supervise the daily financial operations of the country office, which include cash flow management, Audit, compliance and reporting to donors on the financial aspects of the country program, and daily monitoring of obligations, budgets, and expenditures.
- Manage the Country Office Logistics department ensuring that all logistics activities (fleet, equipment, supply chain, ICT/IS, base setup etc) are coordinated.
- Build a high performing Supply Chain & logistics team, capable of gearing up to provide a humanitarian response when necessary ensuring that the Program secures value for money at all times and that Action Against Hunger procedures and processes are followed to the letter with zero audit findings.
- Support the day to day management of the ICT department ensuring ICT is adequately resourced and contributes to Program planning and implementation using technology where feasible encouraging innovation.
- Develop and implement an Internal Control/Audit Framework and produce reports with recommendations on areas that need improvement on logistics and security procedures and policies to ensure compliance and reduce the risk of fraud, abuse, and waste.
- Coordinate and conduct periodic compliance reviews for ensuring work is carried out ethically and in compliance with national and international laws and regulations, professional standards, accepted business practices, and internal policies and procedures.
- Support in preparation of timely and high-quality progress reports, program reports, and donor reports.
—– JOIN SOMALIJOBS FACEBOOK GROUP: —-
Do you meet the required criteria?
- You have a minimum 8 years’ INGO experience in a management role, preferably as Operations Director.
- You have master’s degree in Social /Development/Humanitarian studies or any other related field.
- You have experience in HR, Finance, security, logistics management & program cycle management.
- You have robust experience of NGO program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organization structure.
- You have substantial experience in logistics, including procurement, supply chain, fleet management & inventory, ICT and IS.
- You have significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks.
- You have good experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants from major institutional donors.
- You have a solid safety and security management experience in complex and conflict location.
- You have Good anticipation, planning skills, especially in changing work contexts.
- You have worked in a multicultural work environments.
- You are good communicator: verbal and written.
- You are highly organized, detail oriented and able to work under pressure.
- You have a strong understanding & experience of Humanitarian Principles.
- You have worked in insecure environments.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger’s five core values
Respect– we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence– we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment– we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, boys and girls regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
- Promote and uphold the PSEA policy and procedure.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: –
- Health Insurance
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Learning and development opportunities
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.Closing date for applications: 23rd April 2021.
Action Against Hunger holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasize to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes.
—– JOIN SOMALIJOBS FACEBOOK GROUP: —-
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
3119 total views, 4 today