Paralegals (4 Positions) – Hargeisa, Toogdeer, Lasanood & Erigavo, Somaliland
- Job category: Legal Affairs
- Post date:13 Sep 2021
- Job expires in: 1 day
- Share job:
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Four Paralegals Strengthening the Social Contract through Access to Justice
Ministry of Justice
Locations: Hargeisa, Toogdeer, Lasanood, Erigavo
The Ministry of Justice, in close collaboration International Development Law Organization (IDLO), is promoting a reformed and modernized Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) system through the establishment and operationalization of new Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Centers in Hargeisa, Togdheer, Lasanood and Erigavo under the Program ‘Strengthening the Social Contract through Access to Justice in Somaliland’ funded by the Government of the Netherlands. The programme aims to foster the social contract in Somaliland by increasing the legitimacy of justice institutions.
The overall goal of the programme is expected to be achieved through three (3) intermediate outcomes: (1) improved access to an Alternative Dispute Resolution(ADR) mechanism and referral pathways, especially for vulnerable groups; (2) enhanced access to formal justice for vulnerable groups through holistic support to gender-based violence (GBV) survivors and affected communities; and (3) increased participation of citizens in Somaliland in accountability processes relating to the provision of security and justice. The specific mandate of each Centre is to facilitate the practice of ADR and settle claims and disputes at community level, facilitating and increasing access to justice for the local population, particularly vulnerable categories.
The effectiveness of the ADR Centres will depend, among the other factors, by the capacity of the adjudicators to take decisions in line with the national law. Legal support is critical to take correct decisions as well as to guide, assist and provide legal advice to the justice seekers going to the centers, particularly women.
To this end the Ministry of Justice, will hire FOUR paralegals (preferably female) to be deployed ONE in EACH ADR Center. The incumbents will be in charge of:
- Providing legal assistance and advice to justice seekers, particularly women on where to address their cases
- Provide legal support to adjudicators to ensure that decisions and cases taken are in line with the provision
- Identify and report cases out of the ADR jurisdiction or without respecting the Standard Operating Procedures
- Support ADR clerks in the correct classification of the cases and data collection
- Support the registration and referral of cases at court districts.
- Prepare and draft legal documents required for the centres
- Contribute to the Monthly Activity Report
- Liaise with local Women’s Organizations, Civil Society Organization, Health Services to promoted and integrated support and counselling to justice seekers
- Any other legal support and counselling requested by the Ministry of Justice
The incumbents will jointly report to the Ministry of Justice ADR Coordinator.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Locations: Hargiesa, Togdheer, Lasanood and Erigavo.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Sharia and/or Law
- A minimum of 1-year experience in Legal Practice is required
- Experience at community level is required
- Fluent oral and writing skills in English and Somali is required.
- Sound Knowledge of Computer Skills (i.e. Word, Excel)
- Very good knowledge the Somalia and Puntland context as well as the Constitution of Puntland, National Laws, Sharia Law
- Very good communications skills
- Very good skills in Report Writing
- Sound skills in advocacy, mediation and conflict resolution.
- Ability to interact and engage with the Community
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to respond timely to queries and provide feedback;
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity and commitment;
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter, verified copies of academic certificates and two references to (email@example.com) with subject line of Application for ADR Paralegal Hargeisa, Application for ADR Paralegal Togdheer, Application for ADR Paralegal Lasanood OR Application for ADR Paralegal Erigavo not later than 28th September 2021.
In light of the need to closely work and support vulnerable groups, including women, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Somaliland Ministry of justice is an equal opportunity employer.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2783 total views, 25 today