Primary School Principal – Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:18 Jun 2020
- Share job:
The Pharo Foundation (hereafter “the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of The Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve our vision by investing in Africa’s human and physical capital with a strong focus on job creation.
The Pharo Foundation took over the prestigious Primary School, along with the Kindergarten and the Secondary School in Sheikh in 2019. The school was built to address the educational gap evident in primary schools. The school is built on an acre of land located in Shacab Area – Koodbuur District.
The Pharo Primary School implements a formal education programme for the primary level (grade 1 to grade 8). The school has 16 classrooms and teaches more than 540 students between the ages of 6 – 13. The Pharo Primary School delivers an integrated curriculum which covers different development areas that are designed for the 21st century learner. The education programme includes studies in Somali, Arabic, English, Mathematics, Humanities, Science & Technology and Creative Arts. The school is equipped with supporting facilities which include a computer lab, a science lab, an arts lab, an outdoor playground, and a library
Headquartered in London, the Foundation also has an operational HQ in Nairobi and offices in Addis Ababa, Assosa and Hargeisa.
Position: Primary School Principal
Reporting to: Head of Education
The primary role of the principal of the Pharo Primary School (the “Principal”) is to serve as the educational leader and Chief Administrator of the Pharo School. The Principal is responsible for implementing and managing all aspects of the running of the School, including all policies, regulations, and procedures to ensure that all students are educated in a safe and academically enriching learning environment and all staff are performing at their highest potential. The Principal is also expected to ensure that the Vision, Mission and Values of The Pharo Foundation (the “Foundation”) are the cornerstone of the School’s culture.
The Principal will be responsible for planning, organising, controlling and directing the educational programs, operations and personnel for the School. The Principal will develop standardised curricula, assess teaching methods, monitor student achievement, encourage parent involvement, revise policies and procedures, administer the budget, partake in the hiring and continuous evaluation of staff, and oversee facilities, while ensuring compliance with all legal and safety requirements.
The Principal must set and achieve high-performance goals. In achieving academic excellence, the Principal is expected to work collaboratively to lead and nurture all members of the School staff and to communicate effectively with parents, members of the community and government stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the instructional leader and demonstrate authentic leadership skills.
- Lead a cohesive, committed, driven, and high-performing team.
- Provide continuous feedback to staff to ensure highest academic standards are achieved and maintained.
- Ensure lowest absenteeism levels.
- Maintain presence and visibility around the School.
- Achieve academic excellence and work towards establishing Pharo Primary as the top primary school in Hargeisa.
- Collect and analyse data regarding the needs and achievement of students, including Somaliland Assessments, and other pertinent information affecting the design and implementation of educational programs, using the information to recommend improvements and make modifications.
- Plan, design, and conduct follow-through strategies pertaining to curriculum development, and the implementation of instructional programs and activities.
- Conduct and maintain School’s performance evaluation information to ensure that academic goals and objectives are achieved, and that all levels of staff adhere to the Foundation’s educational standards and goals.
- Lead School and decision making processes to ensure the development of a comprehensive program that includes annual student achievement targets.
- Supervise the instructional programs of the School, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on learning and child growth and development.
- Ensure that the instructional programs engage the learner in tasks that require analytical and critical thinking, problem solving and creativity, and that they address the range of skills and developmental needs found in the classroom.
- Offer academic support programmes such as holiday classes, remedial classes and individual tutoring for students that need it.
- Establish the master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring sequential learning experiences for students.
- Plan, develop, and provide management reports pertaining to the academic reporting requirements of the School for the Somaliland Head of Education and the Foundation Board.
- Select, interview, direct, and evaluate all school personnel.
- Conduct annual reviews and performance appraisals of all staff to assess their performance and identify areas for development.
- Supervise all personnel assigned to the Primary school, establish clear expectations for roles, responsibilities, and performance to ensure that all job responsibilities are met and exceeded.
- Direct and participate in formal and informal classroom visitations and observations of all teaching staff.
- Recommend discipline, reassignment or termination action as appropriate; document evidence of substandard performance.
- Organize, supervise, and conduct staff professional development and staff training programs.
- Ensure proper communication and cooperation with all staff by holding regular meetings.
- Regularly update staff on the Foundation policies and procedures and implement changes.
- Ensure the Foundation Vision, Mission and Values are incorporated into the operations of the School.
- Establish and maintain procedures for conflict resolution in an effort to maintain a high level of staff morale.
Administration and Operations
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of records and reports regarding student attendance, welfare, discipline, safety, academic achievement, certification for graduation and others as directed.
- Direct the maintenance of files pertaining to school personnel, facilities, inventories, financial information and contracts.
- Manage, control, and monitor the Education Management System.
- Assure proper management, maintenance and inventory of materials, equipment, building and grounds.
- Manage the physical facilities, identify needs and recommend additions, modifications, and services.
- Assist in the development, implementation, interpretation, and administration of policies, procedures, rules and regulations, and negotiated employee agreements.
- Ensure compliance with all Somaliland laws, regulations and policies.
- Ensure the reputational integrity of the School and the Foundation are maintained through operational excellence.
- Maintain confidentiality of work-related issues and The Pharo Foundation related information
- Prepare annual budget of the School.
- Ensure the proper financial management of the School and strict adherence to the financial policies of the Foundation.
- Plan, develop, and implement budget planning and expenditure control procedures.
- Assure proper allocation of funds for instructional and non-instructional equipment and materials.
- Ensure that tuition fees are collected and recorded in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure proper follow-up on outstanding fees.
- Supervise or schedule the supervision of students on campus before and after school, during lunch, recess and student activities; discipline students according to established guidelines.
- Assure the health, safety and welfare of students; oversee attendance, behaviour management, guidance and other student support services.
- Administer first aid as needed according to established procedures.
- Develop safety protocols and emergency response procedures and ensure they are updated as required
Parent, Community, and Public Engagement
- Establish, coordinate and maintain communication with community and parent groups.
- Prepare and write correspondence, bulletins and other communications on behalf of the School; arrange for school-level public relations and publicity for special events and achievements as appropriate.
- Attend, conduct, and chair a variety of meetings with faculty, parents and community representatives.
- Respond to and resolve parent, student and staff complaints; represent the School at various functions
- Assist the school community and the public in their awareness of The Pharo Foundation’s Vision, Mission and Values.
- The ideal person should possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field (Master’s Degree is preferred).
- Extensive successful teaching experience, preferably at the Elementary School level, and preferably in more than one grade level.
- Successful experience as an administrator preferred.
- Excellent communicator, written and spoken, in English, Somali and Arabic.
- Familiarity with computers and other school technologies and software packages.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time-management skills.
- Remarkable professionalism and solid work ethic.
- Of good moral character: honest, trustworthy, and dependable.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Medical insurance is provided in accordance with The Primary School’s Health policy.
This position is open to both female and male applicants.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address:
Recruiting.SL@pharofoundation.org Please type – Primary School Principal in the email subject line before 2th July 2020
- A detailed CV and Covering Letter,
- A 1,000-word essay on why you are the most qualified candidate for the role?
- A one-page list of 3 references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we will only contact short-listed candidates.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
3405 total views, 40 today