Program Manager MEAL
- Job category: Monitoring & Evaluation
- Post date:10 Sep 2019
- Share job:
Job Title: Program Manager MEAL (REF:2019/052)
Department: Programs Quality (MEAL)
Reports To: Emergency Coordinator
Country/Location: Somalia/ Mogadishu
Length of Contract: Fixed up to July 31, 2020.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners, people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS has worked in Kenya since 1965. Over the years, CRS’ focus shifted from direct relief and food distributions to a comprehensive development program that works with partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya programs now support children affected by HIV, and community-based efforts to increase household incomes, improve family health and sanitation, and enhance agriculture livelihoods.
As a MEAL Manager, you will manage Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) for the Somalia Country Program, designing and implementing projects advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your primary role will be to provide technical support to a range of program/project design and implementation issues for Somalia as assigned from time to time in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming and contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS Somalia’s programming is.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Lead quality MEAL system design, budgeting, and management of MEAL implementation at CP-level, sector level, or for strategic external donor project, involving tools and methods, appropriate to scope, context, and technical requirements of a project, and review in line with donor and CRS guidance
- Lead compliance with agency and donor MEAL requirements, including agreed MEAL Detailed Implementation Plan activities, and liaising with project leadership
- Ensure quality data capture, input and management, qualitative and quantitative analysis, reflection, and ongoing use of MEAL data results through respectful management of agreed processes
- Document and disseminate agency approach to MEAL and project learning among CP colleagues and partners, and in broader regional discussions
- Contribute to respectful relationships and dialogue regarding ongoing project interventions and results with community members and stakeholders
- Lead capacity strengthening initiatives in conducting all MEAL activities for CRS MEAL staff and partners to address their job requirements
- Aggregate data from implementing partners into cohesive reports for donors
- Contributing to the development of technical proposals for the Somalia program ensuring adequate budgets for quality MEAL activities
- Master’s Degree in International Development or in another field related to MEAL required.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in project management, ideally in the field of MEAL and for an NGO.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups including implementing partners and community members
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write high-quality reports
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
- Honesty and integrity in work and communication
- Presentation, facilitation, training, and mentoring skill
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Project management experience in emergency programming is highly desirable.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations.
- Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
- MEAL skills and experience preferred.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Web Conferencing Applications (Skype for Business, Teams)
- Experience in using data analysis software (SPSS, STATA, EpiInfo, Nutrisurvey).
- Experience in using mobile-data collection and management software, specifically CommCare
- Experience in using data visualization software, specifically PowerBI
- Demonstrates solid knowledge and ability, and can apply MEAL in Design, Evaluation, Learning, Analysis and critical thinking, ICT4MEAL and MEAL in management competencies, with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Would require guidance to handle novel or more complex situations
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and ability and can apply Monitoring and Accountability competencies in new or complex situations. Guides other professionals.
Required Languages – Fluent Somali and English
Travel – 25% to project sites outside Mogadishu (Jubaland, Southwest State and Galmudug); some travel to Nairobi
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none)
Strong dotted line to partner MEAL Staff
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Somalia Country Manager; Emergency Coordinator; Project Managers; MEAL Manager; Somalia Risk and Compliance Officer;
External: Partner Staff, community members, partner staff, other local stakeholders, MEAL staff from other peer agencies, Donor MEAL contacts, Professional Associations (e.g. Evaluation Society of Kenya) and Partner Staff and other MEAL consultants in the country and region.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Thursday September 19, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1651 total views, 3 today