Program Officer – WASH – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Programme Affairs
- Post date:21 Jul 2021
- Job expires in: 1 day
- Share job:
|Position Title: Program Officer – WASH|
|Duty Station: Mogadishu|
|Position Category: Full-time|
Mercy Corps Somalia aims to strengthen systems and mechanisms that enable sustainable development, emergency response and peaceful processes through high quality and high impact programming in Somaliland, Puntland and the South-Central of Somalia, i.e. all over Somalia. Mercy Corps assists communities in Somalia to transition from crisis to transformative recovery and sustainable development. We currently implement programs that address IDP and returnees needs in terms of education, health, conflict mitigation management, livelihoods and emergency response with an orientation towards early recovery. We aim to expand our programs that strengthen and diversify livelihoods and ensure food security and resilience throughout the country. In our continued response to emergency and disaster, Mercy Corps seeks experienced WASH Program Officer for its Somalia Emergency Assistance and Early Market Recovery Program (SEAM II), funded by the USAID/BHA.
Describe overview of job mission
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The WASH Officer is responsible for the day to day implementation of the planned activity components under the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sector activities in the SEAM II Program. Working and the direction of the Program Team Lead and technically under the WASH Specialist, the officer will work closely both with program and support staff (including finance, administration and program) in Mogadishu and other Mercy Corps field offices to ensure the day to day activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality. The WASH Officer will have to coordinate closely with the different clusters, i.e. WASH, Food Security, Protection and Health/Nutrition Clusters. Similarly, the WASH Officer has to closely coordinate with the Local Administration, the IDP and host community leaders, and other key program stakeholders to achieve the program goals and ensure that all activities to be implemented on demand-driven; and communities mobilized in a participatory way. He/she will have to show full adherence to Mercy Corps procedures, policy and security protocols.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conduct periodic need assessment and prepare activity papers and documentations
- Maintain close working relationship with local authorities, INGOs and Local NGOs
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management and supervisor in the area of duty station
- Representations at cluster meetings at the field level.
- Field data information and data collection to inform program design and planning
- Document good practices and lessons, testimonies and stories for program learning from field visits, surveys and assessments that have been done
- Arrange and facilitate meetings with project beneficiaries, local health promoters, local government officials and agencies, as required.
- Help develop training content, curricula and conduct relevant trainings required for setting up community health clubs and school health clubs.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of the project activities, promotion of BCC methodology, hygiene promotion activities, health surveillances and environmental clean-up campaigns in project areas.
- Compile and submit monthly, quarterly and annual reports as well as other reports as may be requested by the Program Team Lead and/or Program Manager.
- Assist the M& E Officer in the collection and assembly of data for reports and actively participate in field evaluation activities i.e. transact walks, health surveillances, clean-up campaigns, water quality, community and school sanitation inventory, etc.
- Trouble shoot, investigate and make recommendations for the solving of all problems encountered in the implementation of the project.
- Regular progress reports to the WASH Specialist, Program Team Lead and Program Manager, with copies to other relevant staff like MEL and Director of Programs.
- Mobilize local resources in collaboration with the Project Manager and local authority for successful project implementation.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission in Somalia.
- Adhere to MC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Other duties as maybe assigned by the supervisor.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: N/A
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Program Team Lead
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH:
Other program staff, finance officers, logistics officers, human resources and administration officers.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Relevant qualification in the field of Engineering, Public Health, Sociology and Community Development of the development for national and international relief and development organization in a similar role, ability to multitask and make decisions, experience in working effectively with minimum supervision.
- At least three years of work experience with an NGO in a similar capacity, one operating in the South-Central of Somalia is extremely desirable.
- Experience in both urban and rural WASH programs will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of the Somalia legal and tax system regarding NGO operation is desired.
- Commitment to local capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in program design and implementation.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and keeps to deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Somali people’s culture and political set up.
- Strong team player and effective communicator.
- Willing to interact effectively with international and national personnel and other partners.
All interested candidates both internally and externally are encouraged to apply for this position and submit their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) through https://www.mercycorps.org/careers/national only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mercy Corps is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. Mercy Corps has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with A Mercy Corps will be expected to sign organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applications: 29July, 2021
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2888 total views, 8 today