Programme Officer – Hargeisa/Berbera, Somaliland
- Job category: Programme Affairs
- Post date:10 Jan 2022
- Share job:
Job title: Programme Officer
Reporting to: Regional Programmes Coordinator
Key relationships: PENHA-Somaliland staff, SG/Salt-Mine Project Manager
Salary: Competitive NGO salary
Contract duration: Twelve-month contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding
DESCRIPTION OF PENHA AND THE SEAWATER GREENHOUSE/SALT-MINE PROJECT
The Pastoral and Environmental Network in the Horn of Africa (PENHA) is a non-governmental organisation that works to promote development in the pastoralist communities of the Horn of Africa. Founded in 1989, PENHA is an African inspired and led NGO, registered as a charity in the UK and headquartered in London. PENHA operates across the IGAD region and has country offices in Ethiopia and Somaliland. PENHA’s mission is to promote development by empowering communities and fostering sustainable and diversified livelihoods. PENHA works at both the grassroots and policy levels, combining research, policy work, advocacy and project implementation, with a participatory and bottom-up approach
Seawater Greenhouse Project, Berbera, Somaliland. PENHA and Seawater Greenhouse (SG) Ltd UK established a Seawater Greenhouse Pilot Project at Berbera, introducing technology developed by Charlie Paton of SG Ltd UK, with a focus on seawater desalination for horticulture, salt production and drought-proof livelihoods for communities along the region’s hot, arid coastline. Extending the work at the Berbera site, the Salt-Mine Project explores the opportunity to utilise solar-powered desalination for the extraction of salt and minerals, including lithium, with new livelihoods for East African coastal communities. This Sida-funded research project involves a consortium, led by the Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA).
The Programme Officer will have primary responsibility for project implementation as well as programme development and fundraising. The purpose of this role is to:
- Directly manage and oversee project activities on site (in Berbera)
- Help to develop the project and the country programme through fundraising (developing project proposals) and networking.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Project management
- Networking and representing PENHA in forums
- Ensuring that activities are carried out in line with the established workplan
- Overseeing the activities of the Berbera site manager and horticulture manager
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of the project site and project activities.
- Liaising with the relevant authorities, including Berbera Municipality, and maintaining good relationships with local stakeholders and communities.
- Preparing periodic/routine project reports
- Any other related tasks assigned by the Regional Programmes Coordinator
Fundraising and programme development:
- Prepare a fundraising plan, in collaboration with PENHA’s Somaliland and regional staff.
- Prepare project proposals aimed at securing matching or complementary funding for the SG Project
- Prepare project proposals aimed at securing funding for an integrated set of country programme activities.
- `Market’ project proposals, actively seeking out and developing relationships with potential donors
Representing the organisation
- Participating in meetings related to the SG Project and PENHA country programme activities
- Representing PENHA in meetings and workshops (including online, as part of Covid-secure practice)
- Networking widely to build relationships with development partners
- At least a university degree in any relevant field [master’s degree would be preferable]
- Knowledge of environmental management and development issues in Somaliland and the Horn of Africa
Programme management and development:
- At least three years’ experience in NGO project management
- Experience in fundraising and proposal writing
- Experience in reporting to donors in an NGO environment
- Ability to write and communicate well in English
Desirable qualities and capabilities:
- Good IT skills, including Microsoft Office (Outlook and Excel)
- Good planning and organisational skills and efficient work methods
- Ability to work well in a team, as well as independently
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Salary: Competitive NGO salary
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract length: Twelve-month contract with possibility of extension, subject to the availability of funding.Probation: There will be a probation period of three months, after which the appointee will be subject to a performance evaluation.
Holidays: 28 days leave per annual year, in addition to approved public holidays in Somaliland.
Candidates should apply by emailing a short cover letter (1 page maximum), describing themselves and their suitability for the post, attaching a curriculum vitae/resume (2 pages maximum), to email@example.com. Please use subject heading: Ref: Som-SG-PO.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview, which may be conducted remotely (by Skype or Zoom).
Expected starting date: 27 January 2022
Deadline for applications: 17 January 2022
It is expected that interviews will be held on 24 January, and that shortlisted candidates will be informed by the end of the day on 20 January 2022. If you have not heard from us by then, please assume that you have not been shortlisted. We are unfortunately not able to offer feedback on applications from candidates who have not been shortlisted.
Thank you for your interest in PENHA.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2855 total views, 1 today