Project Accountant – Hargeisa
- Job category: Accountant/Finance/Budget Affairs
- Post date:8 Mar 2020
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION (ADO)
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: Project Accountant for Development Fund Interlinked Projects.
STATUS: Full Time
REPORTING TO: Executive Director
DUTY STATION: Head Office in Hargeisawith frequent travel to project sites across Somaliland regions
ADVERTISED DATE: 8th March 2020
SUBMISSION DEAD LINE: 20th March 2020
The Agricultural Development Organization (ADO) is a leading local non-governmental organization engaged in the development of the communities in Somaliland with particular focus on strengthening sustainable pastoral and agro-pastoral economy. For the past two decades. ADO has carved a niche as a professional development agency and made remarkable strides in advancing food security and livelihoods of the targeted communities in Somaliland. In the past twenty years, ADO implemented diverse projects aimed at: increasing household income,, increasing small-holder farming productivity, improving the access to financial for rural farmer communities, improve water accessibility for both rural and urban population, response humanitarian emergency, enhancing the performance of producer organizations and promoting innovations in climate smart agriculture techniques that significantly reduced poverty of the targeted communities.
ADO is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of “Project Accountant”. She/he will be responsible to oversee and coordinate the financial activities ofDevelopment Fund of Norway Interlinked Projects and this person will be based in Hargeisa of ADO Head Quarter.
She/he is responsible for spearheading the overall planning and proper implementation of the financial resources of those DF funded projects. Furthermore, is responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures. This projects accountant will report directly to the Executive Director and he/she will go to three months’ probation period.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Running day to day activities on the all financial issues of those DF funded projects
- Prepare specification of validated quarterly and monthly financial and management accounts and other system reports for Director of administration and finance prior to discussion with the management team/committee.
- Set up Peachtree system user profile and regular check up of user profile and resolution of any user constraints.
- Responsible for drawing up process flows and automation of all financial transaction processes and ensure regular reviews of process controls in the Peachtree accounting system.
- Maintain proper control of the project accounts
- Keeping and preparation of payments while maintaining adequate bank statements, and documentary proof availability for all disbursements.
- Review and verify all of the project request for payment for sub projects or other contract’s expense statements and prepare payments to the creditors of the PCU (Cheques transfers)
- Putting in the accounting system information on new and ongoing subprojects
- Register the administrative and sub-projects expenditure in the accounting system
- Control the power utilization of the petty cash account
- Making all Cash flow ledger for daily payments
- Keep and save all financial documents in both forms of hard and soft copy.
- Verify payments as per agreement.
- Co-signature with the Executive Director for all financial transactions regarding these projects.
- Report to the Executive Director and project managers on monthly basis.
- Carefully forecast project budget plans Vs actual expenditures for project activities and office operational costs to avoid financial deficits.
- Prepare periodic as well as program based financial reports and statements as required.
- Develop budget and expenditure guidelines for the organizational operations for both project field activities and indoor expenditures.
- Follow and understand organizational financial policies and procedures.
- Carry out any other necessary activities and assignments related accountant position when and where needed.
- Follow up donor commitments to ensure timely disbursement of project funds
- Ensure that financial procedures and policies of the donor and implementing organization are followed.
- Ensure monthly preparations of cash flows, quarterly financial reports and bank reconciliations and submit before deadlines.
- Ensure that financial documents of bank statements, bank slips etc are kept in secure files.
- Ensure the proper use of accounting software and record all of the financial transactions of the project
- Ensure and create strong team work with the project staff
- Prepare all financial documents for auditing
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner;
- Clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; Collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive director.
- Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team up-to-date of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary organizational policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the executive director and management team.
- Train ADO’s finance team on the detailed financial guidelines and requirements in order to implement activities and execute budgets accordingly.
- Supervise payments of expenses executed by the branch offices, project field activities, ensuring they fulfil ADO, and donor regulations. .
- Ensure that the expenses executed by ADO are compatible allocated to the relevant programme.
- Ensure proper accounting of all project transactions in the ADO relevant tools (normally Peachtree and Excel sheets) as instructed by ADO.
- Ensure proper preparation of Financial Statements, cash books, list of expenses, bank accounts reconciliations, etc. in accordance with ADO requirements and applicable tools.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
- Submit financial reports and send the relevant financial supporting documents in accordance with ADO requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCES
- Holding minimum Bachelor degree in accounting, finance or business management. Ideally with an MBA or related degree.
- Having an accounting recognized title will be a plus and value adding.
- Should be familiarity of Peachtree accounting .excel accounting and quick book
- At least Five to six years of overall professional experience; ideally five-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Having proven skills of English with the capability to communicate in both written and spoken forms.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either at the organizational level or significant project area.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management and knowledge in EU, DFID and INGOs fund management protocols.
- Technology server with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to train project staffs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are encouraged to send via email an application letter and CV in English to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged. There should be always three reference attached to the resume’. Those who miss to submit clear references will be disqualified prior starting the process.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Only Short listed candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2603 total views, 1 today