The United Nations has provided electoral assistance since 2014 through the UN Integrated Electoral Support Group (IESG) comprising the United Nations Assistance Mission to Somalia (UNSOM) and UNDP Somalia. In keeping with UNSOM’s mandate, UNDP Somalia’s Country Programme Document and the NIEC’s Strategic Plan, the UN supports preparations for universal elections.
Support primarily focuses on the following areas:
- sustained technical institutional capacity-building of the NIEC at national and state-level in various aspects of electoral administration and operations;
- support to the NIEC in planning and implementing electoral operations, such as voter registration, polling, result transmission and adjudication of disputes;
- support for the registration of political parties;
- physical establishment of the Commission at national and state-level;
- technical advice on the electoral legal framework and related legislation;
- management of an election-related multi-partner trust fund
- coordination of international electoral support;
- technical advice and support for security planning and coordination.
Under the direct supervision of the IESG Deputy Chief Electoral Adviser, the Project Manager (Electoral support) will contribute to the development of the UNDP/UNSOM joint programme for electoral support; implementation, monitoring and reporting of the approved work plan; coordination of the different entities involved in electoral support; as well as contribute to the provision of advisory support to the NIEC on internal organizational and operational (admin/finance) management, planning and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Functions:
Lead the electoral project management (planning, project implementation and monitoring, and risk assessment).
- Take the lead in the planning and development of the electoral Project Document, including the Results Resources Framework;
- Take the lead for the development and implementation of the project’s monitoring and evaluation plans, in particular specific electoral-related output activities, indicators, targets, monitoring steps and means of verification, in line with the Annual Work Plan and according to UNDP standards and UN country-specific objectives;
- Take the lead in the development of the Annual Work Plan, including clear linkages between activities, budget, and annual and quarterly milestones;
- Take the lead to monitor and report project progress according to the monitoring and evaluation plan, including the establishment of internal monitoring tools to gather results-based information;
- Take the lead to develop and monitor the project’s electoral risk assessment;
- Assist in updating progress on project outputs and the risk, issues and monitoring logs in ATLAS;
- Participate in planning and implementation meetings with UNDP and UNSOM colleagues;
- Develop and submit periodic narrative and financial reports on the progress of the project to the UNDP and its partners.
- Preparation of Letters of Agreements for NIEC and other relevant institutions;
- Review annual/quarterly work and budget and detailed implementation plans in coordination with the project team.
Assist in coordination and information sharing with donors, electoral stakeholders, electoral assistance providers and other UN entities; and ensure proper donor reporting.
- Act as focal person in donor communication, and develop a donor and stakeholders’ liaison and communication system, including a constantly updated mailing list;
- Contribute to the mobilization of funds with partners for additional resources;
- Take the lead in developing project reports in a timely manner for submission to UNDP senior management and project donors; such as quarterly reports, annual report, and donor-specific reports, and electoral updates;
- Engage and liaise with other UN sections and entities as well as non-UN assistance providers to ensure information sharing, coordination of efforts and identification of opportunities for synergies and collaboration;
- Through close cooperation with the UN’s gender experts support the mainstreaming of gender equality concerns in plans, strategies and materials developed, and technical advice provided to the NIEC and Somali authorities.
Advise the NIEC on organizational management, planning, monitoring and internal communication/reporting systems.
- Support and advise the NIEC with the development of its strategic plan and in particular envisaged goals, activities, targets and milestones;
- Assist the NIEC with the development of its annual work plans, budgets and preparation of updates and reports;
- Advise the NIEC in its internal organizational management and coordination and internal monitoring, reporting and communications systems;
- Link NIEC’s progress and performances to the project’s monitoring and evaluation plans;
- Assist NIEC in the implementation of recommendations of micro capacity assessments;
- Assist NIEC and other national counterparts on LoA implementation with regard to operations management and conduct of activities.
Ensuring management and implementation of project operations, including financial resources management, human resources, procurement and supervision of the operations team (portfolio operations manager).
- Ensuring strategic direction, management and implementation of project operations;
- Supervise the Operations Specialist (or the interal operations team) on Project financial resources management; Project Human Resources Management; efficient Project procurement and logistical services; Information and communication management.
- Ensure timely management and recruitment of project staff in accordance with UNDP guidelines;
- Preparation of annual procurement plan and coordination of the procurement process with Procurement Unit of UNDP Somalia;
- Manage and monitor requests for financial resources and ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Supervise requisitions, purchase orders and payment requests in ATLAS, and ensure monthly delivery updates to the management on financial delivery performance;
- Provide leadership in overseeing of effective provision of services to counterparts including fair and transparent procurement process, efficient logistics and sound financial management;
- Liaise with the Responsible Parties and other UNDP project staff on financial management of the project activities, including monitoring project financial expenditures and transactions;
- Ensure the integrity of financial system and, overseeing the administrative, financial and budgetary aspects of the project activities;
- Ensure smooth audit of project and national partner institutions;
- Advising and mentoring national counterparts on LoA financial and procurement regulations related to the implementation of LoAs;
- Innovation – Ability to make new and useful ideas work : Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Leadership – Ability to persuade others to follow : Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
- People Management – Ability to improve performance and satisfaction : Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Communication – Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform : Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Delivery – Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement : Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
- Elections – Ability to conduct elections and capacity to dialogue with electoral and high-level political actors as well as donors from the international community; Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Internal Reporting and Accountability – Ability to create internal reporting and accountability processes and standards; Originate : Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Operational Efficiency – Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency ; Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Financial Planning and Budgeting – Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP’s long and short-term financial goal ; Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Trust Fund Management – Knowledge of managing trust funds including contributions, allocations, delivery analysis, projections and senior management advisory on emerging financial mechanisms ; Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Affairs, Public Policy, Public or Business Administration, Communication, Political Science, Economics, Social Studies, Conflict Resolution or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in electoral assistance, project management, and/or other relevant experience;
- Demonstrated experience in developing UNDP project documents and work plans including risk assessments;
- Have previously worked in the framework of multi-donor projects;
- Demonstrated ability to produce comprehensive reports and project analysis in country-specific context;
- Experience with delivering electoral assistance in a post-conflict environment;
- Capacity to dialogue with electoral and high level political and administrative officers as well as donors from the international community;
- Political analysis skills and reporting is an asset;
- Experience of working in Somalia is an asset;
- Advanced skills in the usage of computer software packages and web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs