Project Officer – Animal Health – Abudwak/Dollow in Somalia
- Job category: Project Management/Assistant
- Post date:9 Jul 2021
- Share job:
Project Officer – Animal Health
Nomadic Assistance for Peace and Development (NAPAD) is a growing national Non-governmental organization that works with disadvantaged communities in Somalia and Kenya. NAPAD empowers pastoralists and semi-sedentary communities through provision of technical expertise for innovative and sustainable solutions. NAPAD is current seeking experienced, competent and dynamic Project Officer – Animal Health
The Project Officer – Animal Health will work under the direct supervision of the Program manager and director of programs. The animal health PO is responsible for the coordination of all livestock farming related aspects of NAPAD projects including livestock treatment, livestock emergency feeding, rangeland management, poultry farming among others. The PO will closely work with pastoralists to increase livestock production and women & youth in IDPs to set up successful, profitable and sustainable poultry farming.
He/she will provide guidance to agro pastoral and pastoral communities on good animal husbandry practices related to animal health, animal production, poultry farming, Community animal health workers’ system (CAHWs), and pasture/fodder management. He/she will ensure regular field visits to monitor activities and timely weekly and monthly reporting.
The PO- Animal Health core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate planning, organizing, and management of pastoral and livestock related activities.
- Conduct community awareness/sensitization meetings on livestock/agro pastoral activities.
- Facilitate participatory community planning in target communities to define community gaps and provide basis for planning.
- Develop work plans weekly, monthly and quarterly to ensure effective implementation of livestock/agro pastoral related activities as detailed in the implementation plan.
- Facilitate identification/formation of local structures (livestock groups, cooperatives and marketing groups in the villages or in the district of intervention.
- Facilitate in beneficiary identification in consultation with the communities and local leaders.
- Conduct the identification of existing and new animal health workers in the project target communities for engagement in animal health service delivery.
- Identify key capacity gaps and problems for livestock keepers, community animal health workers on livestock related technical issues or animal husbandry practices.
Key technical tasks.
- Conduct and ensure training of Community Animal health workers (CAHWs) on basic veterinary knowledge and skills.
- Coach and mentor the community animal health workers (CAHWs) and private veterinary pharmacies for effective facilitation of community animal health service delivery.
- Provide coordination and administrative support to the CAHWs under guidance of the Project Manager.
- Develop monitoring programs for animal health service delivery as per the defined indicators.
- Monitor the work of all the CAHWs and submit comprehensive weekly, monthly and quarterly reports as per deadlines.
- Track livestock activities to ensure they are progressing as per schedule.
- Ensure timely procurement and provision of quality animal health veterinary drugs and equipment’s required by the beneficiaries and ensure these are used appropriately.
- Promote sustainable livestock practices including improved animal husbandry, and value addition etc.
- Assess the pastoral dry season rangeland and water resources in the target villages and report according.
- Promote the use of improved rangeland and water resources management practices (gabions, stone bunds, semicircular bunds etc.)
- Identify key sources of conflict and peace in natural resources relevant to livestock and promote effective conflict mitigation practices to bring peace among communities.
- Promote value addition and support on marketing of animal products and facilitate market linkages.
- Ensure linkages/integration livestock activities with agro pastoral and pre urban activities to foster synergies under the project sectors.
- Keep strong cooperation/effective coordination with partners, government and animal health professional associations and other stakeholders in livestock sector.
- Participate in field level assessments and evaluations of project performance.
- Monitor and facilitate the use of Community Early Action information (collect & dissemination) to strengthen community’s preparedness to any potential shocks (drought, floods, etc.) at community and district levels.
- Monitor and report the emergence of animal disease outbreaks and propose response mechanism.
- Making sure all livestock related activities embraces gender mainstreaming, environment, conflict mitigation measures etc.
- Liaise with the Program Manager for all decisions related to delivery of animal health as well as poultry related activities and carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager.
Required Education level
Minimum Diploma in Animal health/Production/Husbandry, Veterinary medicine, or Agriculture from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in animal health/husbandry related projects/ programs. Experience in provision of training and extension services is also required.
- Have experience in implementing Agriculture and Rural Development projects.
- Familiarity with conduct of production level analysis, market analysis, and poultry processing/ marketing is desirable.
- The candidate shall be willing to be stationed and work in Abudwak or Dollow in Somalia.
- Have good knowledge on implementation of community based livestock farming
- Possess good interpersonal skills and communication abilities;
- Well organized,
- Good communication in English language is mandatory.
- Knowledge of Somali language is added advantage
- Application letter clearly stating his/her current and expected salary
- Detailed CV
- Copies of your testimonials
To: Salma.email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org by 25th July 2020
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1509 total views, 2 today