Qualified Somali Diaspora: Senior Arts, Culture and Heritage Expert – Mogadishu
- Job category: Culture and Heritage Affairs
- Post date:18 Feb 2020
- Share job:
Qualified Somali Diaspora: Senior Arts, Culture and Heritage Expert
Post/Title: Senior Arts, Culture and Heritage Expert
Duty Station: Mogadishu
Duration of Assignment: 12 months
Deadline for applications: 03 March 2020
II. Background Information
The Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) Somalia programme supports the mobilization of resources and expertise of the Somali diaspora to contribute to the stabilization and development of Somalia, while ensuring that skills and knowledge are transferred to the host institutions and retained by local staff once the diaspora experts complete their assignments.
MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project is funded by the Government of Finland, the project aims to facilitate the transfer of skills, competencies and knowledge of qualified Somali expatriates to public institutions in Somalia, with a focus on two sectors, namely health and education. The beneficiary institution the Federal Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education in Mogadishu (MoECHE) will host the qualified Somali expatriate, and will be responsible to provide a safe and secure work environment. MoECHE & IOM Somalia MIDA staff will monitor the expatriate while on assignment.
About FGS Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE)
Somalia is currently striving towards regaining its economic development, social inclusion and state building to ensure an improved sustained quality of life to the current and future generation. From that perspective, the Ministry of Education Culture and Higher Education of Somalia on institutional measures to better enable the role and value of education in empowering Somali citizens and developing its people and the country. Although some minor gains in education can be noted over the past several years, the country faces numerous challenges with strengthening the capacities of education institutions and systems to support continued progress to achieving SDG 4 education targets, particularly those related to improving access to education and improving learning outcomes.
The position will assist the ministry with the areas of enhancing the communication strategy and work plan of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education. This position is unique in that the successful candidate will play an integral role in working with the federal, regional member states, and Higher Education institution teams and other stakeholders to put into place the administrative, policy and research management structures of the Communications Unit of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education.
III. Activities / Key Results Expected IV. Target Outputs (Measurable Results)
Lead on the development, adaptation, and the implementation of the Higher Education Policy framework.
Ensure project adherence to general research design, sample selection, data management and general research protocols, and overall project management timelines.
Directly supervise project research associates, and lead transitions, onboarding of new research staff and maintaining institutional memory of project activities.
IV. MIDA requirements
MIDA is requiring the following steps/actions to be undertaken throughout the assignment. These are standard requirements for all assignments undertaken through this project:
1. Transfer of skills: One of the main responsibilities of the Somali diaspora participant, and one which he/she will be measured against, will be to ensure continuous and systematic transfer of knowledge and skills as related to the assignment. It will have to be agreed with the beneficiary institution which civil servants will have to benefit from this knowledge.
2. Work plan: A work plan will have to be developed with the Supervisor during the first week of assignment which will provide clear and time bound activities to successfully implement the outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the MIDA Project Assistant. This work plan can be revised during the mid-term review to reflect new developments or changes in strategy.
3. Mid Term Review: there will be a mid-term review of the assignment between the incumbent and the beneficiary institution to discuss progress of the assignment and feedback on performance.
4. Interim and Final Reports: A progress report will be submitted by the incumbent to the Supervisor and to the MIDA Project Assistant. Thereafter a final report will be provided at the end of assignment.
Level of Education: Master’s degree preferred.
Area of Study: Culture Studies, Comparative Literature, Archeology, Museum Studies, History, Creative Arts, Cultural Heritage (or an undergraduate degree plus at least 5 years of demonstrated professional experience in the field of Culture Studies, Creative Arts, Comparative Literature, Archeology, Museum Studies) or other relevant field.
Years of work experience in what area(s): More than 5 years of experience in providing strategic advice, policy and public relations and research development preferred.
Languages needed: English and Somali.
General Skills / Other Requirements:
• Strong knowledge of good practice in policy formulation.
• Experience working in education in countries under fragility.
• Demonstrate understanding of governance, budgeting and accountability.
• Ability to work collaboratively with counterparts in government ministries,
VI: Monthly Stipend
The monthly stipend amount will be determined based on Postgraduate degree and years of relevant experience.
VII: Security and insurance modalities
Health insurance, including evacuation due to medical emergency, will be provided by the project. However, experts will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically well and apt to work in a hardship area in Africa. Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the qualified Somali expatriates. The host beneficiary institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
Before leaving the country of residence and upon arrival in Nairobi or in Somalia, the qualified Somali expatriate will receive a pre-departure briefing including security advice and cultural background
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply please send your CV (with two professional references including their email and phone number) and a cover letter by email to email@example.com. Word format preferred.
Kindly write: Senior Arts, Culture and Heritage Expert in the subject field of the email when sending the application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that this vacancy is only open for qualified Somali Diaspora candidates, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
982 total views, 1 today