Quantum Geographical Information System (QGIS) Training (in-class or online with live sessions) – Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Job category: Education
- Post date:13 Jan 2021
- Job expires in: 1 day
- Share job:
Quantum Geographical Information System (QGIS) Training (in-class or online with live sessions)
OUR VISION STATEMENT
QRTC is established to offer the best research and training service and aspires to be a leading institution in manpower empowerment through continuous quality capacity development initiatives.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To deliver capacity building programs for the labor force with the aim of maximizing their chances of achieving their career aspirations.
ABOUT THE CENTER
The Qaran Research and Training Center is a professional institution created to support research and quality practical trainings that improve the employability of the workforce in Somaliland and other resource-limited settings across the greater of Horn of Africa. We achieve this through designing and implementing innovative and well-informed trainings; ranging from M and E, Project management, HR and logistics and Research processes. We aspire to reduce high unemployment in the region through high quality mentoring, rigorous interventions and strong collaborations.
Currently, we are offering professional short courses which are great eye-opened opportunity for wide range of audience including NGO staff, government officials and unemployed persons and fresh graduates willing to advance their sought-after skills or looking decent and deserved jobs. As part of this programme, our Geographical Information System (QGIS) Training which is first of its kind in Somaliland- was scheduled to kick off in the last week of January in 2021.Around 400 trainees have already benefited from our previous various trainings both in class and online classes (about of these 20% females). Some of these former trainees have landed decent jobs at INGOs due to knowledge and skills gained from our trainings. Please see below the complete training outlines.
The course will introduce the participants to the Geographical Information System (GIS) concepts, devices, data, operations and capability. At the end of the training course, the trainees are expected to perform basic GIS operations including making maps and basic GIS data manipulations.
This course is applicable to the personnel engaged in map preparation and spatial data management, natural resources management, etc. The participants should have been introduced to basic map reading and particular those engaged in spatial data management and field data collection. The course is likewise applicable for spatial data beginners helpful for taking GPS Locations, coordinates and navigating through Google Earth.
There are no special prerequisites for this course but a basic understanding of maps would be useful. Also, basic computing skills will help participants better understand the units dealing with GIS data handling.
Course Requirements: Laptop and writing materials.
Software requirements: Pre-installed with open source GIS, which is QGIS, Adobe PDF Reader and MS Excel
Methodology of Training: The workshop will use Practical and interactive teaching techniques and each participant will be encouraged to participate from the basis of his or her own field experience.
WHO WILL FACILITATE THE TRAINING?
The lead facilitator for this course has vast knowledge and expertise regarding GIS Packages most especially QGIS program. The facilitator worked with a number of International INGOs as a consultant and as full-time employee for the management and compilation of spatial data; producing of maps and visualization of geographic locations of project activities. Maps for monitoring can be very helpful for project and program implementations. The Organizations include World Concern, HPA and most recently GIZ the German Government.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THIS COURSE?
This is a general training targeting variety of programme management staff, government officials, middle-level managers, policy makers and GIS visualizers and Map designers working in different settings. This training also is a great eye-opened opportunity for unemployed and fresh graduates who are willing to advance his/her soft skills so that they can easily settle for decent and deserved jobs.
THE TRAINING DURATION
This is a 5-day-long training with 3 hours of 50% theory and 50% practical sessions for each day with following details: Course registration deadline is on 20th of Jan 2021 and course training dates are 21st – 25th of Jan 2021. We have also flexible and self-paced classes for the online trainees with recorded course lectures and live sessions through zoom.
The training will enable participants to:
- To know basic concepts of Geographic Information System (GIS) through QGIS
- To Appreciate the application of GIS for Environment, Watershed and NRM topics
- To learn spatial data
- To learn Vector and Raster data model
- To learn scale
- To introduce to the basic skills of operating QGIS
- To display map features
- To add data to a map
- To become familiar with the concepts of symbols.
- To learn to use a legend to identify features on a map.
DETAILED TRAINING CONTENTS:
Module 1: Get going with GIS using open source QGIS
- Download & Install Interface and Orientation
- Key components and where to find them:
- QGIS Map window
- Navigation and primary toolbars
- Layers & layer properties
- Print Composer
- QGIS Browser
- Module 2: GIS Data
- Understanding Spatial Data
- Thematic layers
- Spatial data
- Data concepts and formats
- Raster data
- Data scale and quality
- Spatial references and projections
- Module 3: Open Source QGIS Overview
- Rational behind the Innovation of QGIS evolving from ArcGIS
- Software overview
- Getting started in QGIS
- Navigating around QGIS
- Loading and viewing data
Module 4: Exploring the Interface
- The QGIS Interface
- Adding Vector Data
- Exploring the Map View
- Exploring Features
- Adding Raster Data
- Saving Your Project
Module 5: Map Symbols and Labels, Designing Maps and Export/Import function
- Meaning of accountability and learning in practice
- Symbolising data
- Using symbology to make better maps.
- Enhanced symbology in QGIS
- Categorization, graduation and rule-based symbology
- Working with map layouts tools
- Map setup – Page and Print setup
- Creating a presentation map
- Map Layout properties
- Title and Text, Legend, North Arrow, Scale and Data frame.
- Map export – pdf and jpeg formats
- Map printing
- Importing data from different formats (excel, GPS and Google Earth)
- Exporting data to different formats
- Performing basic functions on data
COURSES APPLICATION PROCESS (ENTRY REQUIREMENTS)
- We have also flexible and self-paced classes for the online trainees with recorded course lectures
- In case you need further details about course or any else, kindly feel free to reach us at or +252633499969/ or whatup text or by email email@example.com
- We record video lectures of courses which are intended to online trainees in Somalia (Muqdisho, Garowe, Kismayo, Baido and many more others )
- There are also live sessions throught zoom where participants interact with facilitators for rich discussions.
- The offline class will be held in our Hargeisa Training Hall( North of -Hayat Diagnostic center, Near Idam School)
- Pay the course fee which is only 50 dollars covering all training related costs
- Payment modes: deposit at Zaad/ 0633499969 or Dahabshil account HRG 32342 before course deadline.
- A group of three persons who will be attending a same course at time will have a discount of 17%.
- Course registration deadline is on 21st of January 2021.
- The offline training dates are 21st – 25th January 2021. The Training hours is 6:00pm – 8pm for these days while online classes take one full month.
- Follow throught this link to register: https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/x/gLlDKeTy
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
833 total views, 9 today