Re-advert Supply Chain Director -Garowe
- Job category: Logistics/Supply Chain
- Post date:14 Jan 2020
- Job expires in: 4 days
- Share job:
Title: Supply Chain Director -SomaliNational/international
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Supply Chain Director shares in the overall responsibility for the Strategic direction and coordination of the Country Office (CO). The Supply Chain Director in his/her capacity is responsible for implementation of all Supply Chain Management activities in country and has overall responsibility and accountability for the Supply Chain of the Somalia/Somaliland Country Programme.
He / She will ensure that policies and procedures of Save the Children are strictly adhered to and also to ensure thatSave the Children’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, throughreference to the Sphere Charter, Save the Children minimumstandards and the NGO code of conduct.
|TITLE: Supply Chain Director– (National/International)|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Supply Chain||LOCATION: Somalia – Garowe office|
|GRADE: TBC||CONTRACT LENGTH:Two year with possible extention|
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, theSupply Chain Director shares in the overall responsibility for the Strategic direction and coordination of the Country Office (CO). The Supply Chain Director in his/her capacity is responsible for implementation of all Supply Chain Management activities in country and has overall responsibility and accountability for the Supply Chain of the Somalia/Somaliland Country Programme.
He / She will ensure that policies and procedures of Save the Children are strictly adhered to and also to ensure thatSave the Children’s commitment to improving quality andaccountability inhumanitarian work is upheld, throughreference to the Sphere Charter, Save the Children minimumstandards and the NGO code of conduct.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Deputy Country Director for Programme Operations.
Technical Line: Regional Head of Supply Chain, East and Southern Africa Regional Office
Staff directly reporting to this post: National Supply Chain Manager, National IT Manager
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
· Leadership of the Somalia Country Office Supply Chain team
· Support the development of an organizational culture that reflects our values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors
· Help design and implement a coherent Supply Chain organizational structure that is consistent with agency practices and appropriate to program needs and in line with Key Performance Indicators.
· Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with: host government authorities,donors,partner agencies including major institutional donors, and local and international NGOs
· Ensure that the required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during humanitarian emergencies, working closely with the Regional Office
· AdviceCO SLT on issues related to compliance to Save the Children’s supply chain policies and procedures.
· To ensure compliance with Save the Children’s minimum standards and procedures related to Supply Chain.
This includes reviewing and updating the in-country procedures and policies for the management of the supply chain, vehicle fleets, communications systems and emergency preparedness.
· To ensure that all systems required for effective supply chain operations are in place and working effectively
· Co-ordination of all programme Supply Chain; manage and develop as required the country procedures and policies for the management of the supply chain, vehicle fleets, assets and communication systems, emergency preparedness in line with Save the Children guidelines and procedures
· Ensure that Save the Children minimum standards of Supply Chain procedures and policies are adhered to throughout the Country Programme, briefing and training all relevant staff as required.
· Ensure the Country Programme’s supply chain is set up and effectively operational through the Area offices to optimize resources.
· Ensure that field procurement practices are compliant with SCI and Donor’s regulations.
· To liaise closely with the Security Manager and ensure that all Security Guidelines and procedures are integrated fully into Supply Chain Guidelines and procedures.
· In consultation with Security Manager and Operations team, to ensure the programme’s communication systems in all programme locations work effectively and ensure standardization of all communication equipment throughout the country.
· Ensure that for all programmes at the proposal stage and throughout the life cycle of the project has supply chain plan which will deliver the necessary commodities/ services
· Ensure Inventory management system (TIM) is functional and reporting, advice management on stocks/GIK management.
· Ensure that appropriate supply chain management procedures, tools and controls are in place for specialized supply chains of Construction, Pharmaceuticals and Food.
Emergency Response Management- Supply Chain
· Assist in strengthening organizational readiness to respond to emergencies in line with global SCI emergency goal and benchmarks
· Assist in the design, update and implementation of a full set of emergency preparedness actions, drawing onSCImember input and resources
· Assist to mount appropriate and timely responses at scale to all emergencies consistent with established benchmarks, plans and organizational policies, and in close cooperation with incoming surge teams
· In coordination with the Country Director and SLT members maintain consistent and coherent engagement in key inter-agency emergency preparedness and response coordination mechanisms including the Clustersystem
· Develop the Supply Chain aspects of the programme emergency preparedness plan
· In co-ordination withCountry Director and SLT members train supply chain staff in managing emergencies
· Ensure the Country Programme as a whole has the capacity to manage effectively core Supply Chain to gear up Supply Chain capacity to respond effectively to emergencies
Operational and capacity strengthening
In close collaboration with Programmes Operation and Program Development teams to:
· Participate in the development of all new proposed interventions providing overviews of Supply Chain requirements in the development of project proposals and subsequent projects.
· Provide direct management support,training and mentoring to the Somalia Supply Chain field logisticians and providing feedback through the review process as to their performance and capacity to undertake their role.
· Monitor the operating environment and manage change to ensure the CO supply chain structure and staffing is always matched to varying operational needs
· Identify and drive continuous improvement initiatives / innovation in all supply chain functions
· Work with the region to ensure implementation of the Global Supply Chain initiatives.
· Participate in the Supply Chain cluster meetings held in Nairobi/Mogadishu and represent Save theChildren’s position and interests.
· Liaise with governments, localadministration, the UN and other agencies as necessary.
Supply Chain Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
· Provide day to day technical support to Supply Chain staff in the field offices, to monitor their performance and provide skills training to fill any gaps in Supply Chain staff, Programme staff and Partners.
· Ensure appropriate staffing within Supply Chain, including sub office staff.
· Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their role in an emergency.
· Manage Supply Chain team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed and evaluate direct reports regularly.
· Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for supply chain teams.
· Manage the performance of all staff in the Supply Chain work area through:
· Effective use of the performance Management System including :
§ Establishment of clear, measurable objectives ongoing feedback, periodic reviews fair and unbiased evaluations
§ Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities
§ Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance
§ Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performanceimprovements/work plans
IT and Facilities
· Ensure that sophisticated, efficient, cost effective Information Technology Systems are in place and in compliance with SCI IT standards.
|COMPETENCIES (our Values in Practice)
Delivering Results (Accomplished):
· Maintains a broad strategic perspective at the same time as an awareness of the detail of a situation
· Establishes clear and compelling objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
· Creates and applies measures and metrics to track performance
· Holds others accountable for achieving results and challenges underperformance
· Demonstrates financial awareness and a concern for cost effectiveness
Applying Technical and Professional Expertise (Accomplished):
· Makes decisions based on professional expertise and experience without deferring unnecessarily to others
· Shares knowledge and best practice on technical solutions so that others can make best use of that expertise
· Actively seeks new ways to develop the application of technical and professional standards within the team
Problem Solving and Decision Making (Accomplished):
· Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
· Knows when to involve others in a decision
· Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
· Analyses and exercises judgment in challenging situations in the absence of specific guidance or knowledge of the full facts
· Evaluates the opportunities and risks of each idea and solution to make informed strategic decisions
Working effectively with others (skilled)
· Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
· Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
· Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
· Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
· Builds trust with contacts through openness and honesty
· Participates effectively in sensitive, complex and/or high impact relationships and networks
· Builds strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
· Spots opportunities to bring together partnerships/working alliances that have not been used before
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· willing to take disciplined risks.
· honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Masters degree inSupply Chain Management or related field
· Professional qualifications in Supply Chain Management
· At least 8 years’ experience with Humanitarian or other development/aid agencies in supply chain management including significant field operations experience supporting both emergency and development programs
· Robust experience of INGO emergency program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organization structure.
· Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management
· Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, crossfunctional teams with a proven history of delivering results
· Experience of building and developing the capacity of Supply Chain staff through the use of training, performance management frameworks and development plans.
· Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
· Experience in project managing significant and diverse construction projects within a challenging environment
· Previous experience of managing and developing large teams and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
· Excellent interpersonal and team skills.
· Excellent IT skills.
· Fluency in written and spoken English
· Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
Experience in the following areas is desirable :
· Supply chain / logistics experience in fragile humanitarian contexts
· Knowledge of Somali language
· Procurement under Multilateral development bank (World bank, Africa Development Bank) procedures
· Support to consortium supply chain management
|Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
|Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
|Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through the below URLs:-
Closing Date will be 27th Jan 2020
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters degree inSupply Chain Management or related field
- Professional qualifications in Supply Chain Management
- At least 8 years’ experience with Humanitarian or other development/aid agencies in supply chain management including significant field operations experience supporting both emergency and development programs
- Robust experience of INGO emergency program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organization structure.
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management
- Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, crossfunctional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Experience of building and developing the capacity of Supply Chain staff through the use of training, performance management frameworks and development plans.
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Experience in project managing significant and diverse construction projects within a challenging environment
- Previous experience of managing and developing large teams and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
- Experience in the following areas is desirable
- Supply chain / logistics experience in fragile humanitarian contexts
- Knowledge of Somali language
- Procurement under Multilateral development bank (World bank, Africa Development Bank) procedures
- Support to consortium supply chain management
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1315 total views, 8 today