RE-ADVERT: Term of reference for consultant developing of TVET modular CBET Curriculum for BREADs Project Somaliland
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:5 Aug 2019
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
RE-ADVERT: INVITATION TO BID FOR CONSULTANCY
Save the Children International (SCI) Somalia program hereby invites interested consultants to bid for the consultancy assignment detailed below
|1||Title of Consultancy||Term of reference for consultant developing of TVET modular CBET Curriculum for BREADs Project Somaliland|
|2||SCI Contracting Office||Save the Children Somaliland, Hargeisa office Maansoor Hotel Road.|
|3||Period of Consultancy||The duration of the assignment will take 40 consultant days articulated in the EOI technical proposal including travel days. This will then be moderated with the selected consultants. SC will contract only the lead consultant. Overall delivery period must not exceed 2 months.|
|4||Consultant type required||Individual or company|
|5||Responsibility for Logistics arrangements and Costs||Save the Children will provide accommodation, Venue(s), refreshment(s) and lunch(s) if need be. SCI will also provide local logistical support on field missons. The consultant will collect data himself/herself with no support of enumerators. However save the children will assemble the instructors and MOE for data collection and validation of the same. The lead consultant is xpected to meet the cost of a drafting workshop at the country of origin.|
|6||Taxation Provisions||Consultant shall be responsible for all Taxes arising from the consultancy in line with the local Tax regulations applicable at the SCI contracting office named above|
|7||Travel requirements||SCI will manage/support consultants travel movement – Entry VISA, internal travels and fligts in and out of Somaliland.|
|8||Security requirements||Consultant will comply with standard Save the Children Security procedures, including the completion of SCI online security training prior to travel to Somaliland|
|9||Qualification and Experience||To qualify for this assignment, the consultant must have the following mandatory professional experience and knowledge:
a) Advanced university degree in a TVET field plus Diploma or degree in Technical Trainers Training and a demonstrated experience in Curriculum Development with a reputable regional body.
b) At least seven (7) years of experience in curriculum development, assessment and evaluation of curriculum, teaching and learning resources development for Technical and vocational Education.
c) All TVET panel experts must be serving ( 10 years plus) or technical lecturers in the skills sets identified.
d) Extensive experience in the use of labour market information and Market systems Development in developing Vocational education policies strategies and programs.
e) Understanding of the key issues involved in vocational education and training in the region, or specifically in Somaliland.
f) Evidence of CVs and passports of subject panel experts (8) number.
g) Strong professional background in Certificate and Diploma TVET curriculum development.
h) Show evidence of having successfully completed at least two similar assignments including policy development.
i) Outstanding communication and analytical skills, with excellent command of spoken and written English
j) Computer proficiency.
|11||Application Procedure||Interested consultants should submit their applications via email to [email@example.com].
The applications should be submitted in PDF format as one document comprising Technical and Financial sections as detailed below.
a) Technical proposal – including but not limited to :
· Capacity to undertake the assignment & budget for the consultancy period.
· Experience of previously conducted similar assignments,
· Approach to the assignment
· Key staff biodata
b) One page concept note on CBET TVET Curriculum development
c) C V of the consulting lead and curriculum experts who will undertake the assignment including three professional references.
d) Financial proposal – providing a breakdown of all charges related to the assignment.
e) Detailed budget breakdown based on expected daily rates of the lead consultant and lumpsum payment to the expert per subject syllabi plus development workshop costs.
Applicants should also indicate the date they are available to start working on the consultancy
All applications MUST be submitted on or before the closing date below to be considered for the assignment.
|12||Closing date for Applications||Shortlisted candidates will be requested for an interview.
Interested consultants shall submit their applications through the email address provided above on or before (15th August, 2019)
Shortlisted candidates will be requested for an interview.
|13||Terms of Reference (ToR)||See Attached the complete ToR in Annex I|
ANNEX 1 : Consultancy Terms of Reference
TERMS OF REFERENCE
DEVELOPMENT OF TVET MODULAR CBET CURRICULUM
The objective of TVET component of the BMZ-funded BREADs Project in Somaliland is to improve access to market systems driven skills training and employment opportunities for vulnerable young men and women. The TVET action will be implemented through Vocational Training Centers (VTC) and Technical Training Institutes (TTIs) for Institutional based TVET in Somaliland. To deliver vocational training apprenticeships, the intervention will collaborate with private sector small and medium enterprises. SC enjoys working relationship with the Ministry of Education & Science (MoE&S) and the Ministry of Employment, Social Affairs & Family (MESAF). The project will work with stakeholders through networking, collaboration, sharing of experiences and disseminating information. To enhance visibility and advocacy, the project will work closely with the media to enhance visibility, children’s awareness and youth rights by duty bearers. Linkages will be made with the private sector at onset to develop training programs as well as take on trained youth into internships and employment throughout the duration of the project. However, the primary focus of the intervention will revolve around pathways to employment (wage or self-employment). The BMZ and SCI recognizes, as does the Government that TVET cannot by itself ensure employment. Employment is a complex equation, where demand-driven TVET is an important element but employment-creating policies within a number of policy areas also play an important role, as does the direct involvement of the private sector. Consequently, the relationship between the TVET sub-sector and the private sector will be strengthened at all levels. The project aims to impart Skills at the level of both certificate and diploma.
Modular CBET curriculum that ensures outcomes based syllabus that mainstream active participation of the private sector, life skills and entrepreneurship training will be developed. The project aims to impart Skills at the level of both IBTVET certificate and diploma including EBTVET. Hence the need to develop modular CBET curriculum in (7) skills sets at certificate and Diploma levels.
The latest BMZ Somaliland labor market skills survey LMSS and Market systems development MSD assessment studies and MOE have expressed gaps and need to scale up modular CBET training with regional comparability standards, international competitiveness, facilitation of learner’s mobility, access and equity, appropriate learning pathways and progression loops to input the proposed EU MOEHE systems approach. The curriculum development under BMZ will contribute towards the achievement of desired TVET quality delivery in 7 subject areas. The MOE and partner TVET Centers report that the current curriculum lacks a Duo CBET elements that enhances private sector based learning outcomes and progression from one grade to the next. The developed curriculum is expected to standardize Certification in terms of time duration for training, contents and levels, capture current trends in technology and occupation, approach to instruction, and private sector based assessment procedures.
3.0 SCOPE OF WORK
Save the Children, wishes to support MOE in the development of a modular competency based curriculum through a participative process led by Save the Children international. The action will entail the development of 7 syllabi at certificate and diploma levels including guides and manuals. In addition the consultant is expected to develop a Trainers EBTVET Guide to be used by SME partners. The process will entail the services of a lead consultant and subject experts drawn from regional Technical Training Institutes in the East Africa Region and the Horn capable of providing subject panel expertize for each skill area. MOE TVET skills instructors and VQF directorate officials will actively participate in the formation of the development panels to develop, review and draft. The finalized syllabi, guides and manuals will be presented to an all-inclusive stakeholder’s forum for validation. To ensure consistency with MOE policies, the curriculum development panels will include MOE Directorates personnel, Private sector and TVET centers Instructors. Save the Children and MOE therefore seeks to engage a qualified and experienced consultant(s) with strong background in TVET Training and Curriculum development. The Consultants Team and local panels will work closely with the Ministry of Education. The team will be reporting directly to the Program Manager and the TVET technical specialist – Save the Children for Contractual and implementation and quality assurance..
4.0 EXPECTED OUTCOME: Contributing to a sustainable, cohesive, skills training and employment system inculcating market driven skills to relevant vulnerable youth with emphasis on efficient and effective training delivery and post training employment for sustainable livelihoods
5.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY:
The main objective of this consultancy is to review, design and development MOE VQF 7 no. modular competence-based curriculum and one EBTVET Trainers guide that ensures skills training programs are relevant and satisfy quality and level of skills required by the labor market in Somaliland. This includes identifying gaps and irrelevance in the current curricula in order to align with current trends thus ensuring a CBET curriculum producing highly competent TVET graduates demanded by the private sector.
Specifically the lead Consultant shall:
- Conduct extensive literature review and study existing documents related to TVET training curriculum including policy, strategy documents and the extent to which CBET – Modular Competency based Education and Training curriculum will contribute to industry led skills in the region.
- Study TVET curriculum used by neighboring countries like Kenya, Ethiopia and Uganda to ensure that the curriculum meets International and regional CBET standards and relevance.
- Work closely with the MOE TVET department and the curriculum department.
- Review the existing curriculum and develop 7 (Seven) syllabi and trainer’s/trainees guides. Additionally develop I no EBTVET guide.
- Lead and guide the curriculum task panels at field level selected by MOE&HE and development partners drawn from public and private TVET Centre’s, MOE Directorates, Private sector master craftsmen. The panels will be moderated and facilitated by the external subject experts.
- Identify long service TVET Trainers (panel experts) as subject panels experts ensuring that CVs of experts are shared including evidence of having been a TVET Trainer in the subject area at Diploma and above for the last 7 years plus. Evidence of having been certified as a Technical Trainer in the country of origin is a must.
- Provide formats and structure for the curriculum tasks above as captured in the inception report to the task force and lead technical field inputs, completing, drafting reviews and adaption presentation in the field.
- Ensure that emphasis is placed on the holistic development on the CBET learner’s competency and relevancy to the market needs.
- Ensure that entrepreneurship, business planning, life skills, job readiness skills and IT are mainstreamed in each curricula as cross cutting topics.
- Lead curriculum debriefing after field work and validation workshop; and, incorporate all inputs and comments from the task force, stakeholders, consortium, and sponsoring agencies viz SCI.
- Present finalized drafts for reviews and final syllabi, and guides for validation and approvals as per contract.
- Develop a comprehensive narrative report on the curriculum development with concrete suggestions on implementation of the revised curriculum.
- Incorporate comments from the task force and stakeholders.
6.0 DELIVERABLES / OUTPUTS:
The deliverables / outputs of this assignment are:
- An inception report.
- IBTVET 7no CBET Modular syllabi and guides: 5 no certificate and 2 no Diploma
- EBTVET Guide 1 no. Details to be agreed with the successful consultant..
- A narrative report detailing the process, experiences and challenges encountered while carrying out the assignment and way forward.
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The duration of the assignment is ( max 40 consultant days) articulated in the EOI technical proposal including travel days. This will then be moderated with the selected consultants. SC will contract only the lead consultant. Overall delivery period must not exceed 2 months.
7.0 QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE OF THE LEAD CONSULTANT
To qualify for this assignment, the consultant must have the following mandatory professional experience and knowledge:
- Advanced university degree in a TVET field plus Diploma or degree in Technical Trainers Training and a demonstrated experience in Curriculum Development with a reputable regional body.
- At least seven (7) years of experience in curriculum development, assessment and evaluation of curriculum, teaching and learning resources development for Technical and vocational Education.
- All TVET panel experts must be serving ( 10 years plus) or technical lecturers in the skills sets identified.
- Extensive experience in the use of labour market information and Market systems Development in developing Vocational education policies strategies and programs.
- Understanding of the key issues involved in vocational education and training in the region, or specifically in Somaliland.
- Evidence of CVs and passports of subject panel experts (8) number.
- Strong professional background in Certificate and Diploma TVET curriculum development.
- Show evidence of having successfully completed at least two similar assignments including policy development.
- Outstanding communication and analytical skills, with excellent command of spoken and written English
- Computer proficiency.
The Consultant must have done similar assignment(s). Prove of the previous work done on TVET curriculum development should be provided in links or attachments into the technical and financial proposal.
8.0 EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Interested consultants who meet the consultancy requirements should submit the following;
- A detailed technical proposal that comprises methodology, work plan, experience of previously conducted similar assignments, capacity to undertake the assignment & budget for the consultancy period.
- A detailed work plan that clearly shows number of days and deadlines for each task-including anticipated time for sharing draft to SCI, commenting, accommodating comments and finalizing the draft.
- A one-page concept note on CBET TVET Curriculum
- Curriculum Vitae of the Consulting lead and curriculum experts who will undertake the assignment including three professional references.
- Detailed budget breakdown based on expected daily rates of the Lead consultant and lump sum payments to the experts per subject syllabi plus development workshop costs.
- List of technical panel experts and CVs. Ability to do more than one syllabus by the experts will be an added advantage.
- Somaliland experience desired.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants must sign onto our Child Protection Policy and organizational Code of Conduct.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1706 total views, 1 today