REACH Field Officer – Addis Ababa
- Job category: Field Affairs
- Post date:23 Feb 2020
- Share job:
JOB OPPORTUNITY: REACH FIELD OFFICER – Roving
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote-sensing. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
We are currently looking for a REACH Field Officer to support our REACH team in Ethiopia.
Position: REACH Field Officer
Location: Addis Ababa, but roving
IMPACT, through its partnership with ACTED, is initiating its activities in the Ethiopia context as part of the Collaborative Cash Delivery Consortium, led by Save the Children and in collaboration with ACTED, Catholic Relief Services, CARE and World Vision. The consortium will deliver life-saving humanitarian actions through emergency cash distributions to as many as 78,000 of the most vulnerable, crisis-affected individuals in areas across Ethiopia impacted by unrest, conflict and displacement expected to be triggered by the August 2020 elections. IMPACT will lead two key aspects of the consortium: the establishment of a regular, reliable and predictable consortium-level market monitoring initiative; and, an internal monitoring component consisting of a beneficiary selection verification exercise, aggregation and reporting of post-distribution monitoring and complaint monitoring system findings, and an overall outcome evaluation of the consortium’s activities. IMPACT’s activities will be implemented in close collaboration with consortium partners in a dynamic response environment – the successful candidate will need to be energetic, flexible and self-motivated, and have a strong knowledge of Cash and Markets Monitoring, to deliver expected results.
Under the supervision of the REACH Senior Assessment Officer and REACH Senior Field Officer, the REACH Field Officer is responsible for the management and implementation of REACH assessments; with anticipated travel to field locations as required.
The REACH Field Officer shall be responsible for:
- Assessment Preparation and Training;
- Undertake travel and conduct preliminary planning missions in assessment sites
- In coordination with the REACH Sr Assessment Officer, REACH Senior Field Officer, and operations staff prepare all details related to data collection (field schedule, daily collection quote, logistics and administration) according to specified methodology
- Coordinate and plan assessment team training, and facilitate sessions of the assessment training.
- Data Collection in the Field
- Follow all guidance from REACH Senior Field and Assessment Staff while in the field; ask questions when necessary
- Collect data independently in line with specified tools and methodology.
- Accompany and actively manage data collectors in the field and ensure accurate data collection as specified in the methodology.
- Communicate any delay in data collection to relevant senior staff
- Participate in debriefings with senior staff as needed.
- Assure the quality of the data collected based on REACH quality standards. Spot-check for accuracy during data collection.
- Ensure care of all REACH inventory including daily check of assessment mobile phones
- Data Validation and Data Cleaning
- Download all data from the mobile phones at the end of each data collection day
- Spot-check for accuracy at the end of each day; question team leaders about any inaccuracies observed and review in daily team debriefs.
- Perform data cleaning at the end of each assessment day
- Follow-up on errors or irregularities in data collection with enumeration team on a daily basis
- Safety and Security
- Follow ACTED safety and security protocols and norms inside the country.
- Follow ACTED code of conduct in country.
- Communicate any security incidents immediately to the relevant senior staff.
- Ensure that data collected is removed from paper or smartphone platforms as soon as the data has been transferred to the REACH senior staff
- Ensure the privacy and security of the information collected in the field
- Minimum of 1.5 years of experience in humanitarian or development organizations
- Ability to travel freely in all areas of Ethiopia
- Willingness to travel 90% of time away from Addis Ababa
- Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of the time required
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (economics, social science, development) required
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong understanding of ODK for quantitative data collection
- Demonstrated experience training and leading large data collection teams
- Demonstrating experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Good communication and time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP and refugee settlements an asset.
- Written and spoken fluency in English necessary; Amharic language an asset
- Ability to work with limited supervision necessary
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com copying to REACH.Intiative.Ethiopia@gmail.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 09th March 2020 with the subject line “REACH FIELD OFFICER”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
535 total views, 1 today