REACH GIS and Database Internship – Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Job category: ICT/Technology/Computers
- Post date:22 Nov 2020
- Job expires in: 11 days
- Share job:
JOB OPPORTUNITY: REACH GIS AND DATABASE INTERN, HARGEISA
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote-sensing. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
We are currently looking for a REACH GIS and Database Intern to support our REACH team in Somaliland.
Position: REACH GIS and Database Intern
Under the supervision of the REACH Research Manager, REACH GIS Officer, and REACH Database Officer, the GIS/Database Intern will support GIS tracking and mapping, and accurate, timely and efficient consolidation of the database from the data collected from the field. The GIS/Database Intern will work on data quality control, tracking data collection progress, downloading, storing and managing datasets. When available and required, he/she will support with other IMPACT/REACH data collection activities.
The REACH GIS/Database Intern will:
- GIS Activities:
- Preparation, conception and production of maps
- Identify map information needs;
- Identify and access map information sources;
- Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data,
- Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of REACH and concerned partner standards.
- Assist in the creation of robust online web mapping solutions
- Monitoring of mapping related data collection
- Conceptualize methodologies for collecting data in the field, as according to need;
- Monitor accuracy of data collected.
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies;
- Information Management support to partners.
- Co-developing GIS components in proposals and supervising the implementation of these GIS components in approved projects.
- Support the development of thematic maps on request from partners with the approval of GIS officers
- Data processing and management:
- Process data and information from the field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data
- Enter data and figures as needed into the database in a consistent, accurate and efficient manner
- Contact enumerators and other field staff to check accuracy and consistency of collected data
- Provide data outputs upon request
- Support the maintenance of up-to-date databases as required
- Assist with daily cleaning of raw data, whilst logging changes made to the original data
- Following up with Field Officers and enumerators about identified problems and mistakes identified in the data
- Project support
- Support data entry, data analysis and reporting
- Support data collection when needed
- Support assessments and other activities of REACH, including research tasks, and administrative and logistical support as requested
- Confidentiality and Data Protection
- The REACH GIS/Database Intern will maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
- Protection Mainstreaming
- Promoting of and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual labors)
- Degree in relevant discipline: development studies, economics, social science, political sciences, international relations or equivalent;
· Demonstrated working experience with GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS).
· Knowledge of analytical software packages/languages (Python, R, SPSS, Stata, Tableau, etc.) will be an added advantage.
· Experience working with web mapping platforms
· Experience working with databases
· Strong skills with Microsoft Excel
· Experience collecting information using hand-held GPS devices
- Experience using ODK for quantitative data collection
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Fluency in English
Qualified Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 06th December, 2020 with the subject line “REACH GIS AND DATABASE INTERN – HARGEISA”. Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage. CVs will be shortlisted on an on-going basis.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments. ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1669 total views, 167 today