- Job category: Advisor
- Post date:19 Aug 2019
- Share job:
Terms of Reference (TORs)
- Description of the post
Ministry Of Constitutional and federalism Affairs (MOCFA), is seeking to hire Reconciliation Advisor under RECONCILATION AND FEDERALISM SUPPORT PROJECT (REFS) FOR SOMALIA (2019-2021). This projectprovides technical advisors to assist MOCFA in implementing its overall strategy, prepare detailed work plans, establish standardized approaches to Reconciliation and Federalism efforts in the state.
This position is initially for five months but may be renewed depending on performance and availability of funds. The Ministry invite applicants who are citizens of Somalia for this position.
The Reconciliation Advisor will work under the supervision of DG. Achievement of Deliverables will be approved by the supervisors. Payment will be made upon certification by supervisor including time sheets for actual dates of work and performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
Consultancy Title: Reconciliation Advisor
Supervisor: Director General or anyone the Minister may delegate
Job Category: Reconciliation Advisor
Duty Station: Kismayo, Somalia
Contract Start Date: Immediate
Date of Issue: 19th August 2019
Closing Date 2nd September 2019
- Organization and Project Description
Somalia is at this juncture targeting to further capacitate its institutions with the view of not only to solidify the gains so far achieved in peace and state-building but to move the goal posts further by ensuring that for the first time, in three decades, the Somali citizens elect their own representatives by 2021. To realize this goal of peace and state building that is in harmony with the SDGs, the National Development Plan and the JSS Strategic Plan among other institutions, Jubaland State of Somalia aims to put in place more accountable and responsive institutions that promotes and practices inclusive politics.
The Purpose of this project is to support MOCFAJSS Establishment of, and Support to, the National Reconciliation Commission/Forum, Reconciliation Plans and federalism process at FGS and FMS working through MoIFAR and related FMS bodies.
This will involve supporting the ongoing establishment of the designated bodies, institutional capacity development, training and support for necessary research and diagnostics, support to national reconciliation plans and conferences and associated meetings/mediation. This activity also supports the development of National Level Reconciliation forum/bodies and required public administration grievances mechanism at FGS and FMS level. REFS has also budgeted resources to ensure both FGS and FMS participation, provided such involvement is agreed upon between the state, communities and federal officials. This activity also will provide some support to preparatory work for the formation of the proposed Truth and Reconciliation Commission if preparations commence.
3. Objectives of Assignment:
The overall objective of the assignment is to assist the MOFCAJSS in implementing its overall strategy, prepare detailed work plans, establish standardized approaches to Reconciliation efforts in the state. The consultant will ensure that the functions outlined below, and the scope of work is satisfactorily carried out.
4. Functions/Scope of work will include:
Reconciliation mechanisms established in support of Administrative Arrangements in the Federal context (regional outreach and inclusiveness):
- Assist MOFCAand relevant institutions in policy development and implementation
- Assist MOFCA and relevant institutions prepare detailed work plans, establish standardized approaches to Reconciliation efforts.
- Liaise with the UN and ensure proper information sharing with UN entities supporting reconciliation efforts.
- Provide support to establish and operationalize processes for inclusive and gender-responsive national reconciliation mechanisms
- Assist ongoing Institutional capacity development, training and support for necessary research and diagnostics, support to national reconciliation conferences and associated meetings
- Support MOFCAand relevant state institutions to conduct mediation processes for administration towards state building.
- Provide support to the establishment of designated bodies for JSS reconciliation and preparation of clear ‘Rules of Procedure
- Support to MOFCA JSS reconciliation plans and conferences and associated meetings/mediation forum (women group, clan elders and Youth etc) on reconciliation, political efforts between clans/sub-clans and mapping of hot-spots
- Organize and facilitate workshops/forums to strengthen State and Non-State Actors Capacity and Government-Citizen Engagement to support State Legitimacy
- Support MOFCA and relevant Institutions including JSS on the preparation of concept notes based on project outputs, provide written inputs to the development of annual work plans for presentation
- Promote information sharing and coordination between Ministries, MOFCAand other relevant state institutions.
- Write event reports, minutes of meeting on Reconciliation and State building Efforts in JSS.
- Submit high quality monthly reports; compile statistics, and document challenges and lessons learned.
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Detailed work plans are prepared, standardized approaches to Reconciliation efforts are established
- At least 2 mediation processes for the administration towards state building are conducted.
- Designated bodies for JSS reconciliation is established and clear ‘Rules of Procedure” is prepared.
- State and Non-State Actors Capacity and Government-Citizen Engagement to support State Legitimacy is strengthened
- Implementation plan supporting the roll out of the Federal strategy
- Monthly reports and briefing for the office of the President, Ministry of Interior, UNSOM/UNDP regarding progress made, challenges encountered, and corrective action proposed.
- Contributing to the Emerging State coordination meetings, reporting and progress, updates and document emerging States’ capacity building support.
- Reports to be provided:
- Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training and workshop reports.
- Quarterly Narrative Final report.
- Institutional Arrangement
The consultant shall work under the direct supervision of the chief of staff and minister of interior of Jubaland State of Somalia. Achievement of deliverables will be approved by the supervisors. Payment will be made upon certification by the chief of staff or minister of interior including time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
- Duty Station
Duty station of the consultant will be at the offices of MOFCA of the Jubaland State of Somalia in Kismayo.
- Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in Peace building, Public Administration, Public Policy, Development Studies or related disciplines.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in Federal Member States, programme development and implementation.
- Specific experience in carrying out the tasks described in this TOR;
- Prior work in Jubaland State area is highly desirable and firm understanding of Somalia context.
- Fluency in English and Somali language
- Core competencies
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues to service the information needs of diverse audiences;
- Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations;
- Results orientation and commitment to produce high-quality outcome;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to support strategic planning, results-based programming, management, reporting as well as resource mobilization efforts;
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Demonstrates outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills;
- Strong IT skills. Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work;
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
- Gender mainstreaming
Jubaland State is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org copying email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org later than 15th September 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1186 total views, 1 today