Regional Emergency Coordinator – (East Africa) – Nairobi, Hargeisa, Mogadishu
- Job category: Coordinator
- Post date:23 Dec 2021
- Share job:
Application due: 1/15/2022
Nairobi, Hargeisa, Kampala, Goma, Bujumbura or Mogadishu
East Africa and Great Lakes Region
The Regional Emergency Coordinator (REC) assists in the development and strengthening of emergency preparedness and response within the region through the provision of technical support and quality assurance to all emergency programmes within the East Africa and Great Lakes (EAGL) region on a need and request basis. The role envisions the provision of technical support and quality assurance through analysis of regional crises and needs within the region, facilitation and roll out of country emergency preparedness and response plans (EPRPs), delivery of multi-subject trainings. In addition, the REC is tasked of developing SoPs and policies for multi-sector responses also through cash and vouchers modalities (CVA), strategy development for emergency response/recovery including undertaking country needs assessments when needed and to support country offices on proposals design and advocacy-positioning papers in collaboration with other regional coordinators. The REC, may, on temporary basis, be given overall responsibility for a specific DRC humanitarian response within the region.
The EAGL Regional Office covers the following country operations: Burundi, Djibouti, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. This position is a national position with regional coverage.
Emergency Preparedness, Response and Monitoring
- Facilitate the Emergency Preparedness and Response Planning (EPRP) process of country teams, supporting the country program with the finalization, feedback process, approval and recurring review processes of the EPRP documents as well as follow-up on progress against the execution of the associated Preparedness Action Plan. This also includes the facilitation of EPRP development or update workshop;
- Develop a regional emergency preparedness perspective through analyzing the regional EPRPs and identifying hazards and threats that could affect neighboring countries. Lead on the development and maintenance of a regional emergency-risk monitoring and preparedness tool. Where required, the REC will also advance a regional approach to risk reduction and/or resilience in coordination and collaboration with other Regional Coordinators and enable the streamlining and/or implementation of that approach in existing country operations and programs;
- Provides policy and program advice related to emergencies, including on management related issues. Provides direction and guidance to country offices in the implementation of emergency preparedness measures, which strengthens preparedness and response mechanisms in the country faced with impending emergencies;
- Support the speedy setup of an emergency response through reviewing proposals for funding requests from DRC HQ’s Emergency Units. Assist country teams in liaising with DRC’s Emergency Unit on specific support for country-led emergency responses;
- Support the conduct of Real-Time Evaluations (RTE) for country-led responses and ensure that lessons learned from the RTE are actively fed back into the preparedness process;
Capacity Development and Strengthening
- Support the continuous assessment of emergency response capacity and competency needs and facilitate/assist in the development of competency building tools and training resources in addition to providing emergency response training to countries as required/identified;
- In close coordination and collaboration with the Regional Head of Finance and Admin and the Regional Logistics and Procurement Manager, provide support and training with respect to procurement, supply chain and asset management in emergency operations;
- In coordination with HR, lead the roll out of the EAGL’s Regional Surge Roster also in collaboration with other relevant Regional Coordinators and support further updates and adjustments of relevant policies and SoPs as required;
- Support all countries to conduct Annual Integrated Emergency Response Needs Assessments or undertake needs assessments in the case of new emergencies/projects/programmes as required or identified;
- Collaborate with other relevant colleagues at both country and regional levels to explore and pilot new response modalities or approaches (i.e. CVA for emergency responses);
- Support existing/new operations in emergency response – assist in staff recruitment, setting up systems, and planning and starting activities;
- The REC, may, on temporary basis, be given overall responsibility for a specific DRC humanitarian response within the region. In such case, the REC will have the overall organizational, financial and administrative responsibility of that particular DRC Programme, including the overall responsibility for security planning and implementation of security precautions.
- Support country offices in the development, review and amendments of proposal for emergency responses. Contribute and/or lead when necessary the design of regional proposals in collaboration with Grant and relevant Regional Coordinators;
- Provide trouble-shooting in existing operations facing bottlenecks in programme implementation;
- Ensure countries are using and able to use correct emergency tools including monitoring and evaluation tools;
- In close coordination with Regional Technical Advisors, ensure response activities are appropriate across all sectors and that protection is mainstreamed across emergency response in EAGL;
- Ensure all emergency response programmes are adhering to standards and best practices in emergency response including HAP/CHS standards and DRC protocols.
Regional Strategy, Coordination and Representation
- Provide Senior Management Team, and relevant CDs with updated information on ongoing/emerging humanitarian crises and needs within the East Africa and Great Lakes region;
- Identification and prioritization (continuous) of geographical areas for assessment and response, both new and existing;
- Participate as relevant – depending on ongoing tasks – in coordination mechanisms throughout the region and represent DRC as requested;
- In close coordination and collaboration with the Regional Security Adviser, assist in assessing access possibilities to new areas, or areas with limited/no access, as needed;
- Support link between CO team and HQ technical advisors to facilitate technical support and consistency in donor relations/fundraising efforts,
To be successful in this role we expect the following experience and technical competencies:
- At least seven years of INGO or other agencies emergency response experience in insecure environments, including at least three years of senior management experience (programs, HR and budgets). Additional experience with Advisory roles an advantage;
- University degree with advanced training or technical qualification in relevant line of work/sector
- Extensive experience in the development, facilitation and roll out of emergency preparedness and contingency planning;
- Relevant technical and management expertise/experience in the delivery of large multi-sectors humanitarian programming in complex settings including through Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Technical knowledge in the sectors of Food Security, WASH, Shelter/NFI, Protection/CCCM and/or Cash & Voucher Assistance (CVA) an advantage;
- Hands on knowledge of rules and regulations of key Donors along with proposal design experience under ECHO, OFDA, Danida, UNHCR and Humanitarian Funding mechanisms;
- Strong analytical, organizational, management and leadership skills combined with critical thinking;
- Good communicator and proven diplomacy with all types of stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently, but also coordinate effectively as part of a team;
- Ability and willingness to work and live in diverse, challenging and potentially unstable environments;
- Fluent and articulate in spoken and written English. Ability to speak in French a strong asset;
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point).
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Duration: 1 Year renewable subject to Performance and Funding.
Contract: Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National staff conditions in the respective Country; Employment Band Non-Manager G.
Start Date: 1st March 2022
Duty Station: Position to be based in either of the following locations; Nairobi, Hargeisa, Kampala, Goma, Bujumbura or Mogadishu with travel within East Africa and Great Lakes Region.
Reporting: This position reports to Technical Sector Manager
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
Applicants must send a cover letter (max 1 page) and an updated CV (max 3 pages) in English. Cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15th January 2022.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, candidates maybe contacted before closing date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1814 total views, 2 today