Request for consultancy services (REF) For HYDORLOGICAL AND GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY OF NEW BOREHOLE – Baidoa
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:12 Jan 2020
- Share job:
Request for consultancy services (REF: GREDO/BAI/2020/001)
|Terms of Reference
HYDORLOGICAL AND GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY OF NEW BOREHOLE
Reference: GREDO – Ground Water Consultancy
Area of Interest: Hydorlogical and geophysical survey of new BOREHOLE
Location: Baidoa district,
Position Type: Consultant/Firm
Duration: 1 month
Start date: 12th January 2020
GREDO is an indigenous local NGO. Non-profit non-partial, non- political and voluntary organization based in Baidoa. To reach the most affected grass-root communities in Bay and Bakool regions effectively and efficiently, the necessity of local partnership in relief program appeared. Responding to the partnership need, a group of Somali intellectuals and well-wishers initiated in December 1992 a local non-governmental organization called Gargaar Relief and Development Organization GREDO). The organization has implemented during these period different projects including relief and emergency programs and later improved into rehabilitation and developmental programs
As severe drought grips most parts of Somalia, Lack of safe drinking water access has contributed to staggering levels of diarrhoeal diseases, particularly among the young, the immune-compromised, and the poor. Unsafe water sources complilmented by poor sanitary environment are a major cause of malnutrition throughout Somalia and Baidoa is not exceptional.
The existing water sources in Baidoa are already overstretched due to the effects of drought on the ground water levels, which have gone down, against an increased water demand caused by the recent influx in the town. It’s in this grim reality that GREDO is planning to drill new borehole in Baidoa where larger IDP settlements or communities which will serve up to 2,500 people in order to meet compliance with minimum standards. The target volume for each water point constructed or rehabilitated, is 15 liters/person/day which is in accordance with Sphere standard in emergencies.
The drilling of the new borehole works will include hydrological and geophysical survey for the identification of borehole site that sufficient water aquifer, drilling of 8 inch internal diameter borehole through rotary and air percussion to a depth 280m deep, installation of slotted casing with minimum inner diameter of 8 inches, the annular space should be packed for gravel and well backfilled, Providing and Installations of new Submersible water pump Grunfos type with 18KW and 3 phase-380 Voltage Maximum 400 Voltage with output 40 M3/H up to 50 M3/ including 1 piece of panel board 5kw, 350m cable 4x10mm3 with electric cut off 100m cable ) complete in all aspect with accessories.
GREDO seeks services of qualified consultant(s) or firms to undertake detailed hydrogeological and geophysical surveys in the target locations of Baidoa, Bay Region.The survey will help tailor targeting of the drought affected vulnerable populations/ IDPs with limited access to water.
overall objectives OF THE HYDRO-GEOLOGICAL SURVEY
- To conduct hygdrological and geophysical survey of underground water in Baidoa and identify the most suitable location for drilling of the new borehole in terms of getting sufficient amount of water with acceptable quality and affordable depths
- Review of knowledge people have with regard to the hydro-geological conditions in the area,
- Review of existing documents with information about the hydro-geological conditions in the area (e.g. information about boreholes and dug wells in the area, topographical maps, etc.),
- Review of existing data, topographical maps, satellite images, existing studies and borehole site investigations in the area, geological reports and maps (if available), borehole and surface water records.
GREDO ope of GEOPHYSICAL SURVERYING:
The Consultant is expected to use both secondary and primary data in the exercise, Secondary data will involve desk study of available information/data on existing boreholes, drill logs, reports and maps while primary data will be obtained by carrying out Hydro geophysical measurements within the study are using the necessary hydro geological surveying equipment, the new ABEM Terrameter SAS 1000 or equivalent instrument, which distinguishes between clays and fresh water by resistivity profiling and possible use of seismic refraction method is recommended for this assignment.
The outcome of the consultancy will be a detailed hydrogeological survey report giving details of the findings and recommendations
SURVEY APPROACHES REQUIRED:
The hydrogeological/geophysical investigations will be carried out in a multistep approach:
a)Desk study: Review of existing data, topographical maps, satellite images, existing studies and borehole site investigations in the area, geological reports and maps (if available), borehole and surface water records, etc.
- b) Hydrogeological fieldwork: Detailed reconnaissance survey of project area. (GPS coordinates/P codes, water level measurements, condition of these boreholes, usage and performance where applicable) inspection of geological, geomorphological and structural characteristics of the investigated area; verification of existing data and findings.
- c) Geophysical measurements: vertical electric sounding resistivity profiling and seismic refraction application to confirm the VES interpretation.
- d) Analysis of hydrogeological/geophysical data.
- e) Compilation, analysis, and evaluation of the gathered data and information.
f) Site selection and reporting.
The final report to be submitted to GREDO should be approved by the ministry of water of South West state of Somalia and the report will be a comprehensive account of the whole of the Consultancy; it will review the existing literature and other relevant information, such as drilling logs, satellite images, etc. The report shall include all field data, interpretations and justifications, hydrogeological evaluations, conclusions and recommendations relating to the investigated areas. In addition, appropriate maps, diagrams and data plots shall be presented. Of considerable importance will be an objective assessment of the applicability and success of the methods to be applied.
- The outline table of contents of the final report will be as follows:
- Introduction, review of previous studies and environmental background
- Geology and hydrogeology (incl. Inventory of boreholes and other water points)
- Methods of investigations, including Geophysical Techniques
- Detailed resistivity survey (Wenner & VES) and seismic refraction to delineate the productive aquifer
- Aquifer potential; sustainable yield & Water quality
- Proposed drilling site
- proposed drilling method, and its applicability
- Environmental impact and protection
- Conclusion and recommendations
Recommendations will be given on the most suitable site for borehole drilling, the required depth, water quality, design and installation details, and other relevant aspects. Based on the available hydrogeological and geophysical data, an assessment of the anticipated chances of success shall be made for each individual site.
The hydrogeological report will give a detailed map delineating the investigated area, geology, aquifer properties (where known), location of measurements, and recommended drilling site. In addition, pictures taken during the actual field activity shall be included in the report. All geophysical data, including its interpretation will be produced as an appendix to the final report.
The consultant/firm is expected to deliver:
- An inception methodology, detailing the secondary and field assessments phases, responding or adapting the present Terms of Reference to the initial findings and available data
- A brief note with the recommended sites selected for the geophysical survey in Baidoa, for GREDO ’s validation before the field deployment, with technical and social justifications (feasibility of water access provision for local populations).
- A final report, which will be covering the following:
- Detailed report on the district’s underground and surface water conditions with recommendation for GREDO technical interventions.
- Summary report on secondary information review and former studies.
- Water quality problems in the district. Special focus will be on fluorides, brackishness, nitrates (and possibly arsenic in a few areas).
|ACTIVITY DEGREDO RIPTION||MONTH 1|
|Secondary data collection|
|Review of documents|
|Key informant interviews|
|Analysis of satellite images and Aerial photos|
|Water quality/resource survey|
GREDO seeks to invite qualified consultants/firms who meet the following requirements to submit their detailed narrative and financial proposal on how to undertake the assignment.
- Technical proposal on how the assignment will be conducted including methodologies, data analyses and interpretation, reports and GREDO schedules. ( List software to be used for analysis)
- Proven field technical and field experience of Consultant with Master’s degree in geology, hydrology, engineering geology, physical, or earth GREDO ence, or in any related field and having good experience of working in this sector.
- Consultancies performed in the last 10 years especially with reference letters for each hydrogeological surveys consultancy
- Proof of availability of all the equipment’, personnel and ability to mobilize them on short notice (Include list of equipment, Brand/Manufacturer, CVs of the personnel) to perform the survey.
- Submit a detailed financial proposal including all professional fees, report costs and subsistence costs. Please note all costs must be broken down into details ( no lump sums, no contingencies etc)
The consultant/firm will be responsible for their own security; insurance while in the field and GREDO will not be responsible for any injuries or damages incurred during the assignment. The costs submitted must be inclusive of all anticipated expenses.
GREDO will select the geophysical surveyor together with ministry of water and energy at state level based on their technical competence and experience
Interested parties must submit their applications by email referenced under title
HYDORLOGICAL AND GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY OF NEW BOREHOLE
Deadline for submission: 19th Januaury 2020 at 16:00 (GMT+3).
GREDO will consider applications from both individuals and firms. Applications shall clearly identify a team leader, who will be the sole responsible to deliver the outputs of the assignment.
Consultants are requested to submit a proposal with a cover letter and must mention their expected total remuneration for this assignment.
Applications should include:
- A proposal to the above Terms of Reference including methodology, GREDO hedule, budget.
- A financial offer including daily fees in US Dollars
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae(s) of the lead consultant and relevant team members,
- DeGREDO ription of available equipment for the assignment,
- Evidence of past experience in undertaking similar assignments (three most recent documents preferred) of similar works done,
- Three (3) references of previous assignments.
Only shortlisted applications will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
753 total views, 4 today