Road Engineer – Borama, Somaliland
- Job category: Engineering/Construction Work
- Post date:16 Dec 2019
- Share job:
Organization Profile and Background
Welthungerhilfe/German is a non-profit organization that aims to contribute to reduce hunger and poverty. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing development projects in Somaliland since 2001. These have been multi-sectoral projects implemented in Awdal, Gabiley and Maroodi-Jeh Regions. Presently, Welthungerhilfe Action is expanding to regions in the country including Sahil and Togdheer.
|Job Title||Road Engineer|
|Duty Station||Borama, Somaliland, with frequent field visits|
|Reports directly to||Head of Project|
|Overall supervision||Area Manager|
|WHH is currently planning to implement road rehabilitation/construction|
|project that seeks to open up remote villages to strengthen timely|
|humanitarian response while supporting trade between remote|
|communities living in Awdal region. The proposed unique low coast road|
|structures constructed with both local materials and technologies will also|
|support surface rainwater harvesting, while improving accessibility to|
|targeted remote villages. The successful engineer will be engaged for a|
|period of one year with possibility of extension based on availability of|
|Job Summary||funds and performance.|
|1. Conduct technical assessment for the proposed roads to be|
|rehabilitated and suggest durable low-cost techniques that can be|
|adopted by the locals easily for maintenance.|
|2. Train selected locals on how to maintain the rehabilitated roads|
|using local materials and equipment.|
|3. The engineer will estimate required materials, raise PRFs and|
|support procurement process within the current market rates.|
|4. Provide periodic supervision at the sites and guide the selected|
|local workers on the road rehabilitation works|
|5. In collaboration with local community workers, the engineer will|
|Responsibilities||suggest suitable adoptable tools and equipment that fits in the local|
|context for the road construction and future rehabilitation.|
Required Qualifications and Experience
Skills and Competencies
- The engineer will provide technical guidance to the local workers during construction of dry masonry drifts, which are slightly raised above the ground level and constructed of impervious structures, to avoid water absorption but harvest it instead.
- Provides locally adoptable techniques of roads and gully stabilization under water pressure.
- The engineer will strengthen the use of local transportation means such as donkey carts and handcarts during material transportations in all sites by improvising a more suitable cart that fits in the local context.
- The engineer will be responsible for establishing and training road maintenance committee for every targeted village.
- Compile the participants/workers list and confirm their daily work at the site prior to payment releases.
- Compile progress reports in every site and submit to the head of project
- Work closely with the community leaders and other stakeholders as the head of the project will recommend.
- The engineer will form part of Technical Working group and will provide updates and lessons learnt for improvements.
- Perform any other responsibility assigned by the supervisor.
- To be flexible and willing to assist in other areas of work
- Degree in civil engineering with special focus in road construction option.
- More than 3 years’ experience in low-cost/local road construction in Somaliland
- Experience in material costing for local road construction
- Experience in surface rainwater harvesting technologies
- Highly experienced in waterproofing technologies
- Experience in managing many workers in different construction sites simultaneously.
- Experience in training and capacitating local residents in dry masonry and other road/stabilizing techniques.
- Experience in report writing.
- Proficiency in both English and Somali languages
Somali; reading and writing is mandatory, English; preferred basic understanding
- Works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Excellent Team player; able to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Willingness to travel and stay long in remote and difficult areas
- Able to take initiative, self-motivated/independently working
- Organized personality
- Willingness to learn and to share knowledge
- Creative, flexible and pro-active
- Interpersonal skills and intercultural competence
- Knowledge and skills in developing measures of project/program success
- Leadership and people management skills
- Good in time management
- Strong interpersonal skills: team working skills, openness, patience, respect for target groups and generally for opinions of others
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their application (Cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to email@example.com with the subject of the email as “ Road Engineer by no later than on 21st December 2019. All applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stage of the selection process.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1886 total views, 1 today