Senior Government Liaison Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Government Liaison Associate is a member of the Government Liaison Unit. S/he normally reports to the (Senior) Government Liaison Officer. The incumbent receives regular guidance and advice from the supervisor. S/he participates in all meetings/working groups related to the Government and to provide support on coordination work on common processes.
Under the supervision of the (Senior) Government Liaison Officer, the responsibilities of the Senior Government Liaison Associate is to give, obtain and exchange information requiring discussions and explanations both to UNHCR staff members, Government authorities and other external parties on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization. The incumbent may supervise some support staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist the supervisor in the establishment of close working relations with officials in various ministries especially Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
– Monitor evolving issues concerning asylum seekers, stateless persons and refugees within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
– Analyse news and political activities and their implication to the Operation. Report on local and international developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office¿s relationship with the Government, including latest developments with regard to the implementation of the GCR, UN reform etc.
– Inform the supervisor and/or other senior managers (as applicable) on a continuing basis of relevant information on the outcome of discussions with government authorities on various issues.
– Provide support to senior management in dealing with the challenges posed by the political context, developments with the Government and issues related to humanitarian and development processes.
– Accompany the Representative/Deputy Representative/Head of Office and Headquarters visitors on missions and meetings.
– Assist in preparation for different visits and missions to the Operation.
– Draft correspondence, reports and assists in the drafting of briefing notes, background material, talking points, facts sheets as required.
– Manage budget, when requested, including tracking expenditures.
– Initiate upon request of the supervisor the contact with the relevant external parties on various issues.
– Coordinate with different units in the office that information presented to government authorities is duly verified and endorsed by the supervisor.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 – 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
or other relevant field;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Good knowledge of UNHCR operations and good political awareness.
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.